Aero Glass for Win8.1 RTM RC3

We can't hide the console window even if we donated?

You can certainly minimize it. I wrote a small script to do so and put it in my Startup folder.

It's actually handy to have it there if you're testing or developing theme atlas changes and would like to restart DWM - just close the window.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

Hum .. are my questions that dumb that i dont get a single answer ? :-)

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/163570-aero-glass-for-win81-rtm-alpha-2/?view=findpost&p=1049972

Q.2. Yes add it if you want to add the values for the custom color swatches, or not, that's your choice.

Q.3. Check your registry setting Blur Deviation, it's meant to be BlurDeviation without the space.

Q.4. Yes the slider in the personalization menu controls the Color intensity and transparency.

Q.5. If you want to have a theme similar to the Windows 7 one then you are best off using a complete custom theme, not just one that will change the explorer frames, here are a couple you could try, http://www.deviantart.com/art/Aero-8-Glow-364494879 by me or this one http://www.deviantart.com/art/Aero-8-350491112 by xXiNightXx

Hum .. are my questions that dumb that i dont get a single answer ? :-)

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/163570-aero-glass-for-win81-rtm-alpha-2/?view=findpost&p=1049972

Sorry, I didn't notice your message on the prior page. I dislike forums that divide threads into pages, though there are practical reasons for doing so.

I'm not sure I can answer all your questions directly, but I can describe what I did/do to get things working.

I test on VMware virtual machines (VMs), as I still prefer to run Windows 7 on my workstation hardware.

I created a Windows 8 (.0) VM back when it was released, and used that to help test BigMuscle's work. I also donated to him early on, way before the release, and he provided a license file with which I could work.

One of the things I normally do is set up a C:\BIN folder with many utilities and things that I use. I set up Aero Glass for Win8 in that folder, and ultimately installed the released version into that folder. From C:\BIN it works nicely, without a "nag screen".

Fast forward a bit...

When I set up a Windows 8.1 VM I copied a number of things from my Windows 8 VM, including the entire contents of C:\BIN, which brought over all the files BigMuscle had provided. Of course I didn't copy the registry, so all the files BigMuscle had supplied for Aero Glass for Win8 sat dormant for a time.

When BigMuscle released his 8.1 prototype software, I plopped the files into C:\BIN, set up the three registry values to get Aero Glass going, and it just worked.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows]

"LoadAppInit_DLLs"=dword:00000001

"AppInit_DLLs"="C:\\BIN\\DWMGlass.dll"

"RequireSignedAppInit_DLLs"=dword:00000000

I have no other custom values than the above (on 8.1).

When he released Alpha 2 of the 8.1 prototype, I naturally dropped the files in the same folder, C:\BIN. Unbeknownst to me the alpha software relies on files I had already had in there, from before. In essence, my having copied C:\BIN from a Win 8 system where Aero Glass worked was a lot like BigMuscle developing in the same folder he had been already working in.

At the moment, Aero Glass for Win8.1 alpha 2 responds to the Color intensity, Hue, Saturation, and Brightness controls in the Color and Appearance control panel. It affects mostly the active window title bar and borders, though also affects the inactive windows in a minimal way.

As far as your theme question, I don't use 'em. Instead, I use BigMuscle's little trick of replacing the composition resources from the themeatlas.png file. This is an important choice, as it both restores the drop shadows and (IMO) better looking controls, but does not require replacement of the theme. In essence the system is closer to what Microsoft delivers than one where a full (signature-circumvented) theme replacement has been done.

Hope this helps.

-Noel

How do I get this to work? I'm using Windows 8.1 x64.

Here's the log:

[0xDBC] Installing DWM hook...[0xDBC] DWM: 0x00000000000000D0, error = 0[0xDBC] Module: C:\Bin\dwmglass.dll[0xDBC] RemoteDLLName: 0x0000008B56480000[0xDBC] WriteProcessMemory: 1, error 0[0xDBC] LoadLibrary: 0x00007FFC004F8C18[0xDBC] CreateRemoteThread: 0x00000000000000D4 error 0[0x1678] License file loaded[0x1678] Machine ID: 33BTZ5LK3YWGULCZQHHLLLME52OLGO7HIQLSMCSAYLF7D5QA[0x1678] License code: 0[0x1678] Hook (api-ms-win-core-registry-l1-1-0.dll!RegQueryValueExW from dwm.exe) installed[0x1678] Hook (USER32.dll!CreateWindowExW from dwm.exe) installed[0x1678] Hook (GDI32.dll!CreateRoundRectRgn from udwm.dll) installed[0x1678] Hook (USER32.dll!DrawTextW from udwm.dll) installed[0x1678] Hook (GDI32.dll!CreateBitmap from udwm.dll) installed[0x1678] Delayed hook (UxTheme.dll!GetThemeStream from udwm.dll) installed[0x1678] Aero Glass for Win8.1 Alpha 2 correctly loaded.[0xD90] DBGHELP: Symbol Search Path: .;SRV*C:\Bin\symbols*http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols[0xD90] CTopLevelWindow::UpdateOcclusionHints hooked successfuly[0xD90] CGlassColorizationParameters::AdjustWindowColorization failed (0).[0xD90] DBGHELP: .\uDWM.pdb - file not found[0xD90] DBGHELP: .\dll\uDWM.pdb - file not found[0xD90] DBGHELP: .\symbols\dll\uDWM.pdb - file not found[0xD90] DBGHELP: uDWM.pdb - file not found[0xD90] DBGHELP: udwm - no symbols loaded[0xD90] Failed to load symbol module udwm.dll: 0[0xD90] CDrawingContext::DrawGlass failed (0).[0xD90] CDrawingContext::DrawGlass failed (0).[0xD90] DBGHELP: .\dwmcore.pdb - file not found[0xD90] DBGHELP: .\dll\dwmcore.pdb - file not found[0xD90] DBGHELP: .\symbols\dll\dwmcore.pdb - file not found[0xD90] DBGHELP: dwmcore.pdb - file not found[0xD90] DBGHELP: dwmcore - export symbols[0xD90] Failed to load symbol module dwmcore.dll: 0[0x1728] Uninstalling...

Please explain in full how to install alpha 2 version on a clean install of WIndows 8.1 RTM. I downloaded the file and all it contained was DWMGlass.dll You don't make it easy when there no instructions

He is not making it easy because he doesn't want you to use it if you are not a advanced users and if you are not going to report problems and he doesn't want people to use it unless it's for testing purposes only.

If you want it easy then wait for the final product with installer.

Please explain in full how to install alpha 2 version on a clean install of WIndows 8.1 RTM. I downloaded the file and all it contained was DWMGlass.dll You don't make it easy when there no instructions

He is not making it easy because he doesn't want you to use it if you are not a advanced users and if you are not going to report problems and he doesn't want people to use it unless it's for testing purposes only.

If you want it easy then wait for the final product with installer.

I am reporting a problem. How to install it. I have donated for a license

I managed it to get it working but then dwm.exe opens a cmd window with a message in it saying

DBGHELP: Symbol Search Path: .;SRV*C:\AEROGL~1\symbols*http://msdl.microsoft.com
/download/symbols
DBGHELP: .\uDWM.pdb - file not found
DBGHELP: .\dll\uDWM.pdb - file not found
DBGHELP: .\symbols\dll\uDWM.pdb - file not found
DBGHELP: udwm - public symbols
C:\AEROGL~1\symbols\uDWM.pdb\3390D9FEA065400287985BDD4C644B942\uDWM.pdb
DBGHELP: .\dwmcore.pdb - file not found
DBGHELP: .\dll\dwmcore.pdb - file not found
DBGHELP: .\symbols\dll\dwmcore.pdb - file not found
DBGHELP: dwmcore - public symbols
C:\AEROGL~1\symbols\dwmcore.pdb\E7E851415120490A9A8258F420FD56BC2\dwmcor
e.pdb
DWM Identifier: "

I found out you made it to have the console window to stay open. It working excellent on Windows 8.1 Pro RTM as you see on the screenshot. That why I donated 4€ for a license key. Keep up the good work. :thumbup Something Microsoft should never had removed. The theme I'm using is Aero 8 Glow by MrGRiM01

Edited by daveo76

DBGHELP: Symbol Search Path: .;SRV*C:\AEROGL~1\symbols*http://msdl.microsoft.com

/download/symbols

DBGHELP: .\uDWM.pdb - file not found

DBGHELP: .\dll\uDWM.pdb - file not found

DBGHELP: .\symbols\dll\uDWM.pdb - file not found

DBGHELP: udwm - public symbols

C:\AEROGL~1\symbols\uDWM.pdb\3390D9FEA065400287985BDD4C644B942\uDWM.pdb

DBGHELP: .\dwmcore.pdb - file not found

DBGHELP: .\dll\dwmcore.pdb - file not found

DBGHELP: .\symbols\dll\dwmcore.pdb - file not found

DBGHELP: dwmcore - public symbols

C:\AEROGL~1\symbols\dwmcore.pdb\E7E851415120490A9A8258F420FD56BC2\dwmcor

e.pdb

DWM Identifier: "

I got this problem, how to fix it?

I got this problem, how to fix it?

Near as I can tell, you didn't describe a problem. With this beta software everyone sees a DWM window with things like what you've shown in it.

-Noel