Wireless on 98se HELP

earlytv

I installed wireless card in my 98se system, it is a RT2561ST IC on the board. Software driver that came with it only went back to win 2000 even though the box said win 98? It took days to find a driver which left a button lower right on the screen. Click that button and I can see it can talk to the VIZIO router just fine and can see 2 out of 3 modes the router has, WPA and WEP , but not the WPA2.

If I unplug the lan and disable it in bios I wanted the system to see and work with the wireless but it does not?

How can I get this to work? What can I do?

I want it to be like XP which would ask for a password to the router and them it works.

Found a driver, Edimax EW-7128g, that works only with WEP 64 bits 802.11b.

Can not get WPA 802.11g/n to work. This is all software stuff for which I know?

If I leave the LAN cable out then WEP wireless works and if LAN cable in then LAN

works, needs a restart in between.

I am still lost but have some wireless?

The small desk where the router, VIZIO XWR100, is has all the systems that plug into the router.

Basement has large desk so all super large systems like my 98SE system need wireless.

I tried the AirLink AWLH3025 which says it can do WPA. It does with TKIP not AES codeing?

ALL THE OTHER SYSTEMS ARE SET ALREADY FOR AES, so any newer driver that will do AES

for the AirLink? Any wireless card that does AES on win 98se? If not I will have to do WEP not WPA

that works fine on the AirLink.

WPA is 802.11g/n TKIP OR AES NO AUTO SWITCH

WEP is 802.11b

Only other item  the VIZIO will do is WPA2, 802.11a/n, and that can do TKIP or AES with auto switch.

WIN 98se on WPA2, any card or driver? FOUND A CARD ON THE WAY, WILL POST.

Edited by earlytv

Check to see if the product has a warrenty, or call for help number. Try calling the company, vender ( calling ) for assistance, or request for additional drivers. Be complaintive about how the box mentions full support for the device, but is not installing. .............................................................................................................................................................................................

.............................................................................................................................................................................................

When I complain, I would not mention, about how "you" installed a 3rd party driver, that is not from their official website.

.............................................................................................................................................................................................

Lets say if they were no help at all, for finding, or emailing you working drivers, that does most of everything the wireless can or

can not do. You can alway report for false advertisment to Better Business Bureau, That is an option on the table.

Finally when all else fails, you can ask a programmer, ( if any out their ) to edit, the actual drivers for the wireless card. Your asking

for the option of using X kind of passwords.

About passwords. Right now most passwords are hackable, and some password functions are not supported by Apple OSX computers

as well. Many of these passwords functions are for later computers, as an accessory. So it is optional. I had to change my password

functionality for my one Apple OSX machine. That driver you found, is on purposely limited usage of passwords to force you to buy a newer OS, and so forth.

• 2 weeks later...

I now have a Dlink Airpro DWL-A520 which was to work with my VIZIO routers WPA2, 802.11a/n mode.

It has a ver 041102F Win98 driver and a ver 1.3 Link Monitor and that wanted some software from micro soft.

I installed all that and should have got 2 little crts in lower right to show wireless net. I did not.

Software and me do not get along. If it would have worked the VIZIO routers WPA2, 802.11a/n mode has about

50 ways to set it up so that would have got me anyway.

ANYONE HAVE A Dlink Airpro DWL-A520 board that can help?

The Dlink Airpro DWL-A520 has a 802.11a based access point and enhanced 152-bit Wired Equivalent Privacy

(WEP) network security, what ever that means. The VIZIO routers WPA2, 802.11a/n mode can do WEP but 152

bit?

Searching with Google for "Dlink Airpro DWL-A520 win9x" I see references to:

description: D-Link AirPro DWL-A520 PCI Adapter Driver

File size: 1929 kiB (1,975,296 octets)

Driver Version: 1.3.0.4 (2001.11.09)

Operating Systems: Windows Server 2003, Windows XP, Windows 2000, Windows ME, Windows 98SE