How can I make a recovery console ISO into a bootable USB?

There is a utility that will download the files from MS and make a recovery console bootable ISO.

Automated Recovery CD Creator (ARCDC) is a tool designed to create your own Recovery Console CD using the Microsoft Bootdisks. Normally the process is to download a Microsoft Bootdisk, extract it to a folder, create the boot loader and lastly add some extra files. Now to make Tech Life easier, ARCDC does this whole process for you!

ARCDC - Artellos.com

I've been trying to make a bootable USB with it. The ISO uses the same bootloader as a full install disk...

Eh1Mo5G.png

I've tried WinSetupFromUSB, Rufus and WinToFlash but they only accept the full XP ISO.

Anyone know how to make it into a bootable USB?

Thanks

Edited by -X-

I skimmed through your links and all I came up with are about making a bootable recovery console CD. Just posts with more links that lead to more links, etc. I already have the ISO and nothing more. That's all the user will have. His machine is down and he is at a second machine with the XPRC.iso but his broken machine has no CD drive.

Can you be a little more precise in the help that you give me? Like perhaps point to the exact post that gives me the procedure?

Thanks

I skimmed through your links and all I came up with are about making a bootable recovery console CD. Just posts with more links that lead to more links, etc. I already have the ISO and nothing more. That's all the user will have. His machine is down and he is at a second machine with the XPRC.iso but his broken machine has no CD drive.

Can you be a little more precise in the help that you give me? Like perhaps point to the exact post that gives me the procedure?

Thanks

Sure, the point is that there are different methods and several different "tricks" that you may want (or want not) to implement, including running it form the .iso "as is" (but thus forfaiting some of the useful tricks) or using a .img in a Ramdisk, etc..

Here are a couple methods:

http://reboot.pro/topic/5316-recovery-console-not-working-from-usb-stick/?p=41614

And here another couple ones:

http://reboot.pro/topic/5316-recovery-console-not-working-from-usb-stick/?p=70268

The most straightforward is probably this thread here (which was NOT among the ones I posted before):

http://reboot.pro/index.php?showtopic=11393

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=24880

Post #7 in the latter:

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?s=&showtopic=24880&view=findpost&p=171330

is one of the most detailed, step by step, set of instructions you can find.

jaclaz

Another solution beside the proposed ones- if you extract that ISO in a folder, extract I386\txtsetup.si_ to I386\txtsetup.sif and use WinSetupFromUSB 1.0 b8 you should get RC working. A plus is that upon launching it hard disks will be swapped so the internal ones are first and USB last, which would also help when using RC utilities manipulating MBR/bootsector/boot.ini. Have to use XP SP2/3 sources, the non-SP one doesn't include USB drivers.

Thanks ilko_t, it worked making a USB. Unfortunately, it wasn't bootable. I presume it tried and then booted off the hard disk and I did select USB HDD from the boot menu.

Also, I just noticed you had said this...

Have to use XP SP2/3 sources, the non-SP one doesn't include USB drivers.

Not sure why that is relevant. When do they come into play?

Pretend I don't have any Windows CDs. I just have the XPRC.iso from the Automated Recovery CD Creator (ARCDC) tool extracted to a folder.

Unfortunately, it wasn't bootable.

There are many options to format the USB disk. If the auto-format option (recommended) did not work, you can experiment with RMPrepUSB options.

Also, I just noticed you had said this...
Have to use XP SP2/3 sources, the non-SP one doesn't include USB drivers.

Not sure why that is relevant. When do they come into play?

Oops, missing EHCI drivers in SP0, but program expects them and adds records for them. When booting Setup complains for missing usbehci.sys.

Telling you all that to get you going quickly.

edit - it SEEMS like the last link jaclaz gave functions properly (read down from there to post #12). I don't have an "available" USB stick right (or time) now to test. Sorry. :blushing:

Well, just for the record, ALMOST all (if not ALL) links jaclaz gives tend to function properly. :whistle:

jaclaz

Link goobered - corrected here -

http://artellos.com/arcdc-page

edit - it SEEMS like the last link jaclaz gave functions properly (read down from there to post #12). I don't have an "available" USB stick right (or time) now to test. Sorry. :blushing:

Thanks. Fixed the link.

You sure about post #12? All it says is this...

Sorry for my late answer.

I have tested a few different Firadisk driver versions, none of them worked...I still don't know whats the problem.

But WinVblock works like a charme, thanks!

I was now able to build an image that boots perfectly from the second partition of my USB flash drive, directly to Recovery Console, even containing the CATCH22 trick!

Thank you so much!

Anyways, I just discovered I was selecting the wrong device in the boot menu! I selected USB ZIP instead of USB HDD and a test of XP setup made with Rufus booted successfully.

I guess I need to redo all the testing I had done. Grrrr

Sorry to all.

I'll be back...sometime.

Edited by -X-