Install Kurt_Aust's up-to-date XP X64 from USB possible?

I've tried WinNTSetup, WinSetupFromUSB, YUMI, SARDU, Rufus and quite possibly a few other methods.

WinNTSetup: Doesn't copy all files from the source, and gives a BSOD before I can select partition in text-mode.

WinSetupFromUSB: Copies all files from the source and installs, BUT at first boot the install doesn't accept the password I've set in nLite. If i create an install with no password the install I end up with is missing huge chunks of the OS(when looking at the Windows folder I'm surprised it even booted).

YUMI/SARDU: Grub appears reluctant in loading the menu for installing Windows, I end up with a blank grub prompt.

Any help would be appreciated, and I'm prepared to test anything.

My best guess is that some customizations use hard-coded paths.

Please put in a zip archive and attach it here winnt.sif, removing any sensetive information from it, txtsetup.sif, and any RunOnce or whatever custom scripts there are in the source.

SIF's attatched, RUNONCE is called by this command:

TimeOut /T 40
CMD /R %Source%Run1_XP-64.bat

which in turn runs quite a bit of this:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/doao4iks4ke363c/Config_XP-64_20Jul13.7z
take a look at this thread, for info on how I've created my Source:
http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/105277-howto-create-a-fully-up-to-date-xp-x64-dvd-july-2013/

And it installs just fine as an ISO in VirtualBox.

Edited by ilko_t

I have just finished a test installation of XP x64 in VMWare Player, booting from USB. USB stick prepared with WinSetupFromUSB 1.0 beta8.

Winnt.sif very similar to yours. Windows directory changed to XP in txtsetup.sif as in yours. NLite.cmd, added to AMD64 alongside entries to be copied in txtsetup.sif, slightly modified to:

@echo offTimeOut /T 40for /f "tokens=3" %%i IN ('reg query HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup /v "SourcePath" ^| findstr "REG_SZ"') do set SOURCE=%%iecho %SOURCE%pause::CMD /R %Source%Run1_XP-64.bat::%SOURCE%\Tweaks\Tweaks.bat::%SOURCE%\Drivers\kxdrv3550-x64-full.exeEXIT

At first logon %SOURCE% is displayed with a proper path to setup files- W:\WINSETUP\XPpSP1x\ .

NLite.inf was not used, is it executed from cmdlines?

In short- if there were any updates or add-ons they should have run just fine.

What version of WinSetupFromUSB did you use? Try 1.0 beta8 if you haven't.

What is drive letter of USB disk during GUI mode, you can see it in %SystemRoot%\WinPreSetup.log or in %SystemRoot%\System32\$winnt$.inf.

What is drive letter of USB disk at first login, did it change?

What is source path value in HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup after first logon? Is there any discrepancy?

Did you test on real hardware?

Right, I just re-did the source completely, cleaned the drive with RMPrepUSB and installed it to the drive with WinSetupFromUSB 1.0b8(as i always have).
This time though, I decided to try it with Vmware Player(USB boot via plop ISO), and it ran through perfectly. Seems it was VirtualBox/the way I booted the USB messing all my testing up. Thanks for all your help.

oh, and just to answer your questions: The drive was D: during text-mode, D: during GUI-mode, and IF i got into a "working" OS it was still D:
My guess is the drive disappears from VirtualBox somewhere during install.

EDIT: Ran through nLite one more time to fix some things I'd missed and now VMWare has gotten a similar issue. The drive gets mounted as -: in text-mode and D: in GUI-mode. Getting the same issues on first boot there aswell. I went back to the previous source, and It's back to W: and I'm assuming the rest of the install will work as before. What could I possibly be doing wrong in nLite to cause this?

EDIT2:

A quick comparison of the sessions of the working and non-working sources:

Non-working removed:
Network Setup Wizard

Automatic updates

DNS Client

Indexing Service

IPSEC Policy Agent

NLA

TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper

Universal Plug and Play Device Host

Volume Shadow Copy

WebClient

Non-working options:

Delete drivers after install

Working removed:

MS Agent

OOBE

\SUPPORT removed

Tweaks etc. more or less the same.

Edited by tordenflesk

It's generally recommended to run nLite only once on any given source. Are you starting with an unmodified source each time? Or, are you using nLite on a previously nLite-modified source?

Edited by 5eraph

It's generally recommended to run nLite only once on any given source. Are you starting with an unmodified source each time? Or, are you using nLite on a previously nLite-modified source?

I do it from scratch every time

1. Clean out working directory.

2. extract ISO to working directory.

3. Integrate WMP11 using Booogy's slipstreamer.

4. run nLite

• Integrate 5er_UpdatePack_XPx64SP2_2013-07_1.7z, 5er_IE8_Addon_2013-07_1_x64.7z
  • Drivers(Intel Chipset/AHCI, ATI GPU, Realtek LAN)
  • Remove components similar to what I've done with XP32 the last ~10 years
  • Apply tweaks, full unattended, RunOnce etc.

5. Copy Addons, RunOnce and Run1_XP-64.bat/Run2_XP-64.bat to my working directory.

6. Run WinSetupFromUSB 1.0b8, clean the drive with RMPrepUSB, tick auto-format, select my working directory as a source and hit go.

Edited by tordenflesk

EDIT: Ran through nLite one more time to fix some things I'd missed and now VMWare has gotten a similar issue. The drive gets mounted as -: in text-mode and D: in GUI-mode. Getting the same issues on first boot there aswell. I went back to the previous source, and It's back to W: and I'm assuming the rest of the install will work as before. What could I possibly be doing wrong in nLite to cause this?

Not sure I can now troubleshoot this better than you...

Just in case- is the USB stick tested for real size?

http://www.rmprepusb.com/tutorials/-fake-usb-flash-memory-drives

It may also be a good idea to keep the antivirus software off while preparing the USB disk.

Seems it was VirtualBox/the way I booted the USB messing all my testing up. Thanks for all your help.

Only partially OT, and JFYI, there is a newish thingy for booting from USB VurtualBox that you may find useful (after and besides the solution to current issue):

http://reboot.pro/topic/18736-virtual-machine-usb-boot/

http://reboot.pro/topic/18217-booting-virtualbox-with-usb-workaround/

jaclaz

Not sure I can now troubleshoot this better than you...

Just in case- is the USB stick tested for real size?

http://www.rmprepusb.com/tutorials/-fake-usb-flash-memory-drives

It may also be a good idea to keep the antivirus software off while preparing the USB disk.

Using a Jetflash Transcend 32GB drive atm. I've never had any issue filling it up. I used to use an old Kinston DataTraveler 4GB stick. Both have had the issue. the 32GB just passed the test.

Only partially OT, and JFYI, there is a newish thingy for booting from USB VurtualBox that you may find useful (after and besides the solution to current issue):

http://reboot.pro/topic/18736-virtual-machine-usb-boot/

http://reboot.pro/topic/18217-booting-virtualbox-with-usb-workaround/

jaclaz

Looks like it's something similar to the way I created the USB-boot VM I have now. Will check it out.

EDIT: Yeah, using that it get's mounted as D:\ Running it in Vmware gets W:\

I'm not to worried about which virtualization-software I use. What matters is knowing what causes the drive to not get mounted properly in text-mode onwards.

It seems I've accidentally made a source that works. I would like to know why all the others haven't worked despite looking near identical to me.

Edited by tordenflesk

Actually the issue is that in QEMU and VirtualBox the USB stick/disk is emulated as internal IDE/SCSI disk.

Drive letter is different because migrate.inf has records for removable disk in your case and the emulated one is fixed, but what breaks Setup is that source is not prepared with such setup in mind, from internal disk.

Well aware of that. I'm wondering what would cause the same problem with VMWare(and I assume the real hardware). One source shows up as W:\, another D:\ and I don't know why.

Edited by tordenflesk