New system up

earlytv

It is on my website.

On your website it has

(No AHCI Only SATA Controllers Present)

My boards have old 40 pin ide and sata so what does that mean?

AHCI SATA protocol is incompatable with Windows 9x. Some newer Motherboards use AHCI.

If they only support AHCI than my Patch cannot be used.

Since your Computer has IDE Ports, I doubt that it would be new enough to only support AHCI Protocol.

If your BIOS supports LEGACY or NATIVE Mode for the SATA Drives, the Patch will work.

It is on my website.

On your website it has

(No AHCI Only SATA Controllers Present)

My boards have old 40 pin ide and sata so what does that mean?

AHCI SATA protocol is incompatable with Windows 9x. Some newer Motherboards use AHCI.

If they only support AHCI than my Patch cannot be used.

Since your Computer has IDE Ports, I doubt that it would be new enough to only support AHCI Protocol.

If your BIOS supports LEGACY or NATIVE Mode for the SATA Drives, the Patch will work.

The board with legacy mode has set up sata 1 and 2 as primary ide master and slave and then the normal ide uses secondary master and slave. Win 98se loves it. Why cant all old bios do this? This 2nd board CAN NOT HAVE THE SATA TURNED ON IN BIOS AT ALL BECAUSE IF I DO WINDOWS LOCKS UP DURING BOOT. So how could I put in your patch for sata? The net talked about the sata set up as raid and then windows 98 would like, but that looks like its for HD only not CD/DVD and still locks up sys during boot?

Edited by earlytv

I fixed the winamp crash during close, sometimes. I took it out and used winamp 5.5 lite portable. No install, no crash, found all radio stations I already had set up. I like this portable stuff, not using it, its not there!

The board with legacy mode has set up sata 1 and 2 as primary ide master and slave and then the normal ide uses secondary master and slave. Win 98se loves it. Why cant all old bios do this? This 2nd board CAN NOT HAVE THE SATA TURNED ON IN BIOS AT ALL BECAUSE IF I DO WINDOWS LOCKS UP DURING BOOT. So how could I put in your patch for sata? The net talked about the sata set up as raid and then windows 98 would like, but that looks like its for HD only not CD/DVD and still locks up sys during boot?

Raid mode only works if you have a Raid Driver. My standard SATA Patch won't work if the Controller is in Raid Mode. I have an alternate Patch if Raid Mode is required.

The Patch is installed either in DOS before Windows starts or in Safe Mode where no Drivers are used.

Edited by rloew

I'm having a bit of trouble following this thread. Is the OP trying to get SATA drives working in native sata mode on a 848P Neo2-V motherboard running win-98?

If so - I don't see what the problem is, or why he would need custom drivers. The board has Intel 848P/ICH5 Chipset and MSI is listing drivers available for win-98.

"This 2nd board CAN NOT HAVE THE SATA TURNED ON IN BIOS AT ALL BECAUSE IF I DO

WINDOWS LOCKS UP DURING BOOT."

Meaning 2nd board=Foxconn 648FX7MF-S .

[WELCOME back Nomen, after your less than pleasant experience]

I'm not clear on whether earlytv is booting off an IDE or SATA hard drive.

_

"Website has 4A3F1P31 bios board says 6.00PG bios???"

Elsewhere on the startup (BIOS) screens it may say 4A3F1P31 (or like 4A3F1Pxx),

possibly appearing too fast for you to notice.

6.00PG bios is the base BIOS firmware, (like we are all HUMAN not chimpanzee or gorilla), while

4A3F1P31 is the name of the particular BIOS 'variation' of 6.00PG for ONLY

that motherboard model (like you only are named EARLYTV, although other members

are all human, but different named humans).

_

"My boards have old 40 pin ide and sata so what does that mean?"

Any IDE containing motherboard only has '40 pin' position connecting slot,

it is the IDE cables that are either described as '40 pin/wire' or '80 pin/wire'

cables. You NEED the '80 wire' cable to get best performance/speed!

_

[Actually, I was confused by "(No AHCI Only SATA Controllers Present)"

which would perhaps be better written in its' webpage as;

(No 'AHCI Only' SATA Controllers Present) ]

Edited by buyerninety

The MSI 848P NE02V mother board is fine, a hard drive or dvd drive can be on sata or IDE or both and it will boot from any drive you tell it to.

The Foxconn 648FX7MF-S motherboard will not boot if the sata is turned on in the bios no matter what drive I have on it. IF SATA ON IN BIOS, UNIT WILL NOT BOOT FROM ANYTHING, ON SATA OR IDE. IF SATA OFF IN BIOS UNIT BOOTS FROM IDE just fine , hard drive or dvd.

I can find nothing in the Foxconn 648FX7MF-S bios to get sata to work with windows 98se.

As the Foxconn 648FX7MF-S boots from IDE the bios number shows and does not seem to match what is on the Foxconn 648FX7MF-S web page, but you just told me the two numbers are the same bios.

This is as clear as I can make it?

Edited by earlytv

The MSI 848P NE02V mother board is fine, a hard drive or dvd drive can be on sata or IDE or both and it will boot from any drive you tell it to.

The Foxconn 648FX7MF-S motherboard will not boot if the sata is turned on in the bios no matter what drive I have on it. IF SATA ON IN BIOS, UNIT WILL NOT BOOT FROM ANYTHING, ON SATA OR IDE. IF SATA OFF IN BIOS UNIT BOOTS FROM IDE just fine , hard drive or dvd.

I can find nothing in the Foxconn 648FX7MF-S bios to get sata to work with windows 98se.

As the Foxconn 648FX7MF-S boots from IDE the bios number shows and does not seem to match what is on the Foxconn 648FX7MF-S web page, but you just told me the two numbers are the same bios.

This is as clear as I can make it?

Does it hang or crash?

If it crashes, what message is displayed?

If it hangs, when does it hang?

Does it run in Safe Mode?

Windows 98se already installed on IDE drive C:, there is a IDE DVD drive D: and I just turned on in bios a DVD sata drive, it starts to boot gets to a dos looking screen with text and some of the text starts with C: when the system hangs. I was able to eat supper and come back and it still hangs, maybe 20 min. I have not tried any longer then that. I power down, power up, and in bios turn off the sata DVD drive, now unit powers up ok again. I have tried 3 different sata dvd drives and the same thing happens.

Before ide drive C: had anything on it and a floppy with 98se boot and a sata dvd drive had windows 98se disk with nothing else on system the floppy tried to load driver for DVD and could not find a DVD drive and system drops to a A:

screen.

Edited by earlytv

You should be able to boot into DOS from a SATA drive with DOS installed on it when the drive is set to native/SATA or SATA/RAID mode in the bios. I usually start a fresh win-98 install by connecting a new SATA drive to a new system, setting the BIOS to native/SATA mode, and boot DOS from a floppy and then run fdisk and format on the C drive and run SYS to transfer DOS and make it bootable. I will then check and make sure I can boot into DOS from the SATA drive. I will then remove the drive from the new system and slave it to another system where I will copy a win-98 install CD to the new drive, then take the new drive and re-install it back to the new system and then boot the system into DOS, where I will then launch the win-98 install from the drive.

Unlike an NT-based OS, Win-98 will use bios/compatibility mode to access the drive during installation and beyond until the SATA driver is installed.

The 648FX7MF-S board has SiS 648FX+964 chipset. I have searched the web for a win-98 SATA driver and I don't think there is one. I've downloaded these files:

motherboard_driver_sis_964sata.exe

motherboard_driver_raid_sis_964.exe

SIS SATA Raid user manual.doc

motherboard_driver_raid_sis964.exe

motherboard_driver_raid_sis_964_xp64.exe

SiS_RAID301.zip

Unless I'm mistaken, I don't see anything in those files that could be a win-98 SATA driver for the 964 chipset. In doing this search, I keep coming across references to this: (Gigabyte SiS 964 SATA Beta Driver v 3.04C) - which claims to be for various versions of windows (including 98) but when I download it, the only win-98 component seems to be an IDE raid driver.

I've also poked around here:ftp://ftp.albacomp.hu/DOWNLOAD/DRIVERS/ALAPLAPOK/Foxconn/

Specifically here:ftp://ftp.albacomp.hu/DOWNLOAD/DRIVERS/ALAPLAPOK/Foxconn/SIS661M04-MX-6L/ChipDrv/SISRaid

And also here:http://217.6.37.131/treiber/PC/Archiv_Mainboard/Gigabyte_GA-8S661FXM-775/

But again I didn't see anything that could be a win-98 SATA driver. The OP is advised to disable the SATA interface on that board (if possible) through the BIOS setup and obtain an SiL3112 dual-port SATA PCI card and use that to connect to his SATA drives.

Edited by Nomen

But again I didn't see anything that could be a win-98 SATA driver. The OP is advised to disable the SATA interface on that board (if possible) through the BIOS setup and obtain an SiL3112 dual-port SATA PCI card and use that to connect to his SATA drives.

Or get my Patch.

Edited by rloew

I found some small cards to run sata drives. One plugs into the 2nd IDE plug and has 2 sata connectors for master and slave drives, the 2nd type plugs onto the sata drives and makes them look like a IDE drive, IDE POWER, IDE FLAT CABLE CONNECTOR, IDE MASTER SLAVE JUMPER CONNECTOR.

ANYONE USE EITHER OF THESE?

EDIT

Just found data on line that says 1st card that plugs into IDE connector and drives 2 sata that both need to be the same, 2 dvds or 2 hard drives or it does not work?

Koutech IO-ASA221

Koutech IO-ASA120

Edited by earlytv

I found some small cards to run sata drives. One plugs into the 2nd IDE plug and has 2 sata connectors for master and slave drives, the 2nd type plugs onto the sata drives and makes them look like a IDE drive, IDE POWER, IDE FLAT CABLE CONNECTOR, IDE MASTER SLAVE JUMPER CONNECTOR.

ANYONE USE EITHER OF THESE?

EDIT

Just found data on line that says 1st card that plugs into IDE connector and drives 2 sata that both need to be the same, 2 dvds or 2 hard drives or it does not work?

Koutech IO-ASA221

Koutech IO-ASA120

Spend more, get less.

Either of these options will tie up your IDE Ports, leaving them unavailable for other Drives, while leaving your SATA Ports unused.

Spend more, get less.

Either of these options will tie up your IDE Ports, leaving them unavailable for other Drives, while leaving your SATA Ports unused.

The cards can be found for $25 or less, the only price I found for patch almost $100, too much? Did I get that wrong?

On 1st system that sata works on only 4 of 6 ports work, 2 sata and master and slave on 1 ide, 2nd ide is off.