Does a repair install redo the registry?

Wireless Zero Configuration is a "basic" key or is it not.

I think it *is*... However, let's try one or two more: I suggest the Workstation service (aka lanmanworkstation, Wkssvc.dll) as one possible choice or the "Automatic Updates" service (aka wuauserv, kept on even when Automatic Updates are disabled, to allow manual use of WU or MU sites). But there are many other choices, so you may find this reference useful, although I'm sure you know it already (it's Black Viper's).

@X.

Make the minimal possible XP system you can make (still booting):

http://reboot.pro/topic/3717-xpsp1-with-full-commandline-and-ntfs-below-10-mb/

make a copy of it.

Run a "repair install".

Make another copy.

Compare differences.

Admittedly a part of the result won't be "reliable" as you will need for the test to use minlogon, but, set aside initial authentication, all the rest should be "the most amount of changes" that a repair install can produce.

It would be easier, much easier, if you use, instead of the "manual" or "through half-@§§ed batches by jaclaz" the nice little Winbuilder package by misty here:

http://minixp.reboot.pro/docs/files/index.html

jaclaz

I will NOT swear to this but I believe "System Restore" just MIGHT have something to do with it.

In my case, I "got rid of" the contents of "System Volume Information" off-line (Winbuilder Live-XP) and/or "disabled" it in Control Panel->System. The Desktop was messed up, the Admin Tools was messed up, etc etc etc - whole thing was messed up with MAJOR Registry Entries and Files missing. It worked perfectly after the Repair and everything was back to normal (sans a trojan that was a B to get rid of).

Give that a shot. Dunno if that's the cause. :unsure: Oh, and I DID back up ALL of the Hives "just in case".

And do make it easier for testing via jaclaz' suggestion. :yes: And don't forget that "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\OC Manager" entries possibly determine what to "put back". ( also :unsure: )

OT - PC delivered yesterday. Both of us Happy Campers. ;)

(heavy use of emoticons...)

Edited by submix8c

"System Restore" should restore a previous state of the registry all right.

However, "Repair Install" apparently does not do it at all or does it in a very limited way (I'd think the latter)...

:} Then it probably needs to use the "repair" folder's files (or xxxx.sav?). OTOH, if the "System Restore" files in the "System Volume Information" folder is still good, you could "select" one that is "functional" (prior to the "probem"). This would, however NOT work if you use Recovery Console and would require a minimal "Live" XP that ignores the "protected" and allows browsing as Console limits your file/folder access.

edit: OUCH (see next post)! Confirmed that you can access it.

My bad. :blushing: Guess I'm too used to the "other" way.

Edited by submix8c