install windows 98 in pendrive

kdsg

Yes. It is possible.

It has been done... I never did it, though, so I cannot help with it, sorry.

It's way easier to install XP to run from a pendrive than it is to get 9x/ME to do the same.

Yes. It is possible.

It has been done... I never did it, though, so I cannot help with it, sorry.

It's way easier to install XP to run from a pendrive than it is to get 9x/ME to do the same.

Actually, it has been (was) a nightmare to find a way to boot a 2K or XP from a USB pendrive (you seem to forget :w00t: that until Dietmar's findings in 2006 noone ever made it).

Comparatively, running a USB with Windows 9x is relatively simple and there were solutions for it since some time.

Right now the 911CD forum is (for whatever reason) down, I'll see if I can find some relevant links through Wayback Machine.

BUT the OP (or his post) is confused/confusing.

Using the SATA patch (if needed) or configuring the BIOS as IDE compatibility mode I remember not any problem with SATA disks :unsure:, the real thing is (I know that I will be flamed for this :ph34r:) on modern hardware it makes a lot of sense to run Win9X/ME inside a VM as it is much easier than getting all the various patches for new hardware, have it work, etc., etc.

A Win9x/Me inside a VM is - say - normally running at 1/3 to 1/2 the speed it would run "natively" on the host machine, but this would be anyway as fast or faster than what an original "top level" machine would have run it in the years it was "mainstream".

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Of course, I'd never forget we'd probably not have done it yet, were it not for Dietmar Stölting! worship.gif

And, BWT, I've never done it with 2k either, but I've done it many times with XP, and I'm very familiar with some of the variations of the method for running XP from a pendrive.

But that's beside the point. The OP apparently is thinking of either SATA or USB pendrive.

If so, SATA is much easier: it's a matter of buying RLoew's SATA patch, installing it and one's all set.

Or, in the rare cases for which there're manufacturer's drivers (the ViA 8237 and derivatives, for instance), just install the driver.

However, only a handful of SATA I controllers have manufacturer's drivers for 9x/ME. No driver exists for SATA II, let alone SATA III, controllers.

I do not buy any software for personal use
this is the reason to run windows 98 in pendrive
for use dvd sata drivers using gcdrom.sys probably works
i have to find another solution for sata HDD

rloew why not put all software as freeware for personal use ?
or opensource accepting donations, your domain is free hosting

I do not buy any software for personal use

this is the reason to run windows 98 in pendrive

for use dvd sata drivers using gcdrom.sys probably works

i have to find another solution for sata HDD

rloew why not put all software as freeware for personal use ?

or opensource accepting donations, your domain is free hosting

Then don't use Windows 98 either, because it isn't free. And don't complain when you can't find the things you want or need, because everything in this world is not free, nor should it be.

rloew deserves proper compensation for providing excellent products, and we should all be thankful that he is dedicated to extending the capabilities of the old systems that we all love, and that he is willing to spend his time working on Windows 9x, when there are many things more profitable that he could spend his time working on.

Edited by LoneCrusader

your domain is free hosting

Free, if you don't count advertising, premium nagging, etc.

Would you prefer if my Software were free but plastered you with advertising, or constantly nagged to upgrade to a Pay Version.

Anyway, here is the "main" reference:

http://web.archive.org/web/20100121020816/http://www.911cd.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=12326

Later, a Winimize project was made, ideas/tips/tricks/news/references, etc. are likely to be found here:

http://reboot.pro/topic/18728-winimize-site-restored/

http://reboot.pro/forum/53-winimize/

And here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/140391-windows-98-live-cd-project-update/

Here is a video tutorial (base - might not work if too much RAM or too fast processor is in the machine, see the stickies for solutions):

jaclaz

• 2 weeks later...

Well my two cents is that being a flash drive you can pretty much make it go threw the IDE, and you would have

no problem. The only problem would be a flash drive with an internal ROM chip, that causes isssues.

I think their are memory solutions as well, but you need an outside power source.

Running it from the actually port can work if it is supported as a boot option. Ever tried to

just format a small patitian, then make a magical copy the partitian from your HD to a USB?

Then just run it from there?

• 2 weeks later...

I have a pen drive I can boot from into Windows 98SE, but as with rloew earlier, I can't use any other USB devices in that configuration.

I have to use a PS/2 keyboard and mouse for instance.

:)