Thanks for an amazing program! I have suggestion for a new option: for folders that are set as menus in the start menu (folders that open submenus when moving the cursor above them), a great option would be the ability to double click on a folder to open it in explorer, instead of having to right click and select 'open', :) 

On 29/06/2015 at 11:16 PM, Tihiy said:

StartScreenIsBack won't come until RTM if at all. There're chances they'll cut the hanging guts out.

Hello,

I have a few questions. I'm interested when can we expect of release of StartScreenIsBack? Additionally, is there any way to implement tiles to StartMenuIsBack similarly to start menu from Windows 10 build shown at Microsoft meeting in 2014 or start menu available in build 9841?

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-x_WUYf9BxMM/U5ARgvo3CzI/AAAAAAAAAqo/yerQIjmS0QA/w800-h800/startmenu.jpg

http://img1.mydrivers.com/img/20141001/fde966beae114ee99d02a03fe4408143.jpg

I do have working `W8` start screen and `W10 beta` start menu, however, they won't be released. The guts have been cut in Redstone and before that they were incompatible with newer live tile formats.

• 3 weeks later...

I have StartIsBack+ 1.7.5 running on windows 8.1.  It's been running great for over a year.  However, now when I right click the start menu I can't open the options menu.  I get a dialog box that comes up asking me what to open the file with.  When I go to the start menu options from the control panel, I receive an error message stating that my pc can't run the program.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
On 26/01/2016 at 0:07 AM, astorath said:
On 29/06/2015 at 11:16 PM, Tihiy said:

StartScreenIsBack won't come until RTM if at all. There're chances they'll cut the hanging guts out.

Hello,

I have a few questions. I'm interested when can we expect of release of StartScreenIsBack? Additionally, is there any way to implement tiles to StartMenuIsBack similarly to start menu from Windows 10 build shown at Microsoft meeting in 2014 or start menu available in build 9841?

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-x_WUYf9BxMM/U5ARgvo3CzI/AAAAAAAAAqo/yerQIjmS0QA/w800-h800/startmenu.jpg

http://img1.mydrivers.com/img/20141001/fde966beae114ee99d02a03fe4408143.jpg

On 27/01/2016 at 11:01 AM, Tihiy said:

I do have working `W8` start screen and `W10 beta` start menu, however, they won't be released. The guts have been cut in Redstone and before that they were incompatible with newer live tile formats.

I'm also interested on Windows 10 style tiles on Windows 8.1 start menu and from what I've read is not possible due to incompatibilities.

Isn't that possible to make compatible a decent and well looking Win10 tiles? I mean from any build as long the tiles look nice. Thank you.

Is there a way to get rid of the duplicate Metro Apps in the start menu?

I'm running windows 8.1 x64 with startisback+ 1.7

When I open my programs I see metro apps twice.   In the programs main menu AND in the start Apps folder.

I would greatly prefer to ONLY have them in the Start Apps folder

Thank you,
Mackintire

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I've a trouble that when I install  +1.7.5 something happened with start button, there's not showing any recent program and neither any pin program o folder that I pined

• 2 weeks later...

There is a conflict between StartIsBack+ 1.7.5 and SpyShelter 10.7.3 x64 (and some of the few previous versions) - Specifically the Hooks Guard feature when in Better Compatibility mode. After Windows login, you just end up with a black screen and the Desktop never loads, although the mouse cursor still moves and Ctrl+Alt+Delete brings up login options.

I contacted the author of SpyShelter and they said it's caused because StartIsBack+ does not check the API funcs return codes. They did not say exactly which one, but I assume SIB+ does not take it into account and continues to try to do something which it shouldn't.

To reproduce, install SIB+ 1.7.5 on Win 8.1.1 x64, then install SpyShelter Firewall 10.7.3 x64 (http://www.spyshelter.com) with Keyboard encryption driver (default install options should sufice) and reboot. Login to Windows and open SpyShelter GUI, then switch to Keystroke Encryption tab > Advanced tab and change Hooks Guard to Better compatibility mode. Reboot Windows and when logging in you should get black screen.

I believe the same issue also occurs with Win 10 x64 and SIB++.

Any chance of looking into this and getting a fix ?

Edited by deipotent

I'm afraid this issue is not easily resolveable as without functionality restricted by SpyShelter SIB cannot function. I don't understand why it doesn't work only in Firewall version and only in Better compatibility mode.

Try persuading author into contacting me to discuss whitelisting or my efforts to avoid being broken by SpyShelter.

A recent update on Windows 8 seems to have changed the jump list text color and hover state, there is now no longer a hover state and instead of using the text color properties in Start Menu > Panels > Aero > Top > Jump List > Panels > Jump List User in now use the text color from Fonts, Colors, & System Metrics > Fonts & System Metrics > MenuText, could you please see if there is a fix for this.

Edited by MrGRiM

• 4 weeks later...

I have what looks like a bug.

Windows 8.1 Pro, all Hotfixes (not just win updates) installed.

Start is back+ 1.7.5.

I have noticed when right clicking to remove programs from the frequently used menu, they reappear some days later, this does not happen natively in windows 7.