I don't know whether this is by design but whenever I installed some updates (which require restart) and then turned off my computer (Start menu -> Shut down), the updates won't be applied. And they will never be applied until I do a proper "restart" (once I got a notification that installed updates from weeks ago were still not applied).

If it is by design then can you implement some options (like "Shut down and apply updates", "Shut down without applying updates", etc.)?

This happens actually because a shutdown in W8 is not really a shutdown, but more like suspend.

They call it "hybrid shutdown". 

So if you choose "shutdown" from the start menu your computer "sleeps" instead of a full shutdown.

There is even more to this:

After updating, Windows requires a restart. If you shut down normally after updating one day, and turn your PC on the next day, you will see that WU still requires a restart.

If you do not reboot, Windows will reboot itself after two days.

This is annoying to say the least, I had a few customers complaining about spontaneous reboots, they blame the PC but it's actually Windows that restarts to finish the updates.

Cheers. 

Everyonce in a while (like once a week or so) the Recently used programs list goes crazy. All of a sudden my start menu becomes as long as my display resolution has enough space. It covers the whole screen.

There are like 16-17 items there. I am checking back the "Number of Recent Programs to Display" setting and it is set to only 10. Changing and applying that setting to 8, 12 or then back to 10 does not fix the problem. I manually start to remove the extra items on that list. And as I move them new ones keeps coming up since they are all recent programs I used. After removing 25-30 items and closing. re-openning the start menu, things start to work normal. I again have 10 items on that list, which is my setting.

After a week or so, this happens again and again and again. I don't know what triggers it but it is annoying.

Next time it happens, I will take a screenshot.

Tihiy,

Some themes seem to enable a 'Default Start Theme'. Is there a way to enable it on other themes that do not?

Well, if there is no start menu skin there, what's to enable?

Everyonce in a while (like once a week or so) the Recently used programs list goes crazy. All of a sudden my start menu becomes as long as my display resolution has enough space. It covers the whole screen.

There are like 16-17 items there. I am checking back the "Number of Recent Programs to Display" setting and it is set to only 10. Changing and applying that setting to 8, 12 or then back to 10 does not fix the problem. I manually start to remove the extra items on that list. And as I move them new ones keeps coming up since they are all recent programs I used. After removing 25-30 items and closing. re-openning the start menu, things start to work normal. I again have 10 items on that list, which is my setting.

After a week or so, this happens again and again and again. I don't know what triggers it but it is annoying.

That's very strange.

• 2 weeks later...

It happened again.

The 1st pic is my start menu has gone crazy with the recent programs list.

The 2nd pic is the setting for this, which supposed to be 10 but it is 18 now.

The only way to fix this problem and go back to normal is; me manually removing recent programs from the start menu.

Not only the 18 of them because each time I remove an entry another recently used program places itself there.

So, most likely I will manually remove 40 or so programs to make that list 10.

Until it happens over and over again.

post-394842-0-82252500-1405448677_thumb.

post-394842-0-93887000-1405448683_thumb.

I guess you are missing something; this is not the correct behaviour.

Otherwise, I am comfortable working with the wrong behaviour 29 days in a month and all of a sudden I get this correct behaviour.

Which displays 18 items when the setting is 10.

When I manually fix it, then I am again comfortably working fine with the wrong behaviour for a couple of weeks until it happens again.

No no, I guess you were thinking about something else. This is definitely NOT the correct behaviour.

That's correct behavior. If you don't need recent apps, set it to 0.

I have a 5-PC licence and am having activation issues when trying to use SIB+ on a MacBook when switching between the native Windows installation (ie. BootCamp) and the VMware Fusion VM version (which runs off of the same Windows partition as the native version, rather than being a copy of the partition).

1) I boot to Windows native and activate SIB+, which works fine.

2) I then reboot into OS X, start the Fusion Windows VM and SIB+ asks to activate again, which is also fine.

3) If I reboot into Windows native, SIB+ asks to activate again, which is not fine.

The activation from step (2) seems to have wiped out the activation data from step (1) I use another app that also uses activation, but it gets around the above problem by storing multiple hardware ID's/signature's, activation code's and response's in a file, and when it performs the "Am_I_Activated" check, it compares the current hardware ID against all stored activation information to see if there is a match. If this hardward ID has already been activated, and is in the file, then the activation check passes, without requiring activation again.

Can you change the licencing/activation scheme of SIB+ slightly, so that multiple activations/ID's are stored in a licence/activation file, instead of just one (which seems to be the case at the moment)

Edited by deipotent

SIB+ should support multiple-activation scenario if you use same key. If it doesn't work, try to uninstall with checkbox 'Remove settings and license data' and try again to activate on real then virtual hardware.

Just to clarify - I used same key, but every time I switch between BootCamp native and the Fusion BootCamp VM (which runs off of native partition).

So the licence data from one activation will not overwrite the licence data from the other activation (ie. two lots of licence data can/will exist at the same time on the same partition) ?

I will try what you suggest and report back.

Just to clarify - I used same key, but every time I switch between BootCamp native and the Fusion BootCamp VM (which runs off of native partition).

So the licence data from one activation will not overwrite the licence data from the other activation (ie. two lots of licence data can/will exist at the same time on the same partition) ?

I will try what you suggest and report back.

I tried what you suggested but I have the same problem. I traced where SIB+ was storing the licence and activation data and see that it saves it in the registry here:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\StartIsBack\License\LicenseHash

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\StartIsBack\License\ActivationData

The problem is that it only ever stores one lot of activation data, so every time I switch between native BootCamp Windows and Fusion VM Windows it just overwrites the previous activation data.

The solution is to store more than one lot of activation data (ie. ActivationData1, ActivationData2, ActivationData3...), and try each one when seeing if it is activated.

Any chance you can add this into SIB+, as it makes using SIB+ on a Mac (when switching between native BootCamp Windows and Fusion VM Windows) a pain given that it has to be re-activated every time I switch between the two ?

SIB does that. For example, you can try to corrupt ActivationData value and then activate again. ActivationData1 will be created and used.

Are you using per-user or per-machine install?

Edited by Tihiy