Is there a screenshot of the new 'shine' effect for the start button in 1.6? I liked the default icon and was hoping I could keep it, or perhaps there's a way to extract the default icon?

Mightn't be a big deal but was curious :)

You can always go back to the old version if you have the installation file. I'd export the settings for your old one like TwoCables mentioned and then restore the old versions settings if you decide to go back to it, after uninstalling the newer SiB. No idea if it would just let you downgrade without uninstalling the new version first. The "shine" effect matches what stock 8.1 Update 1 includes for it's Start Screen button, which has moved from popping up in the corner to where the Start Button is usually. Microsoft describes it as a shine effect in their list of changes, if I remember correctly.

Edited by roirraWedorehT

Is there a screenshot of the new 'shine' effect for the start button in 1.6? I liked the default icon and was hoping I could keep it, or perhaps there's a way to extract the default icon?

You can always go back to the old version if you have the installation file. I'd export the settings for your old one like TwoCables mentioned and then restore the old versions settings if you decide to go back to it, after uninstalling the newer SiB. No idea if it would just let you downgrade without uninstalling the new version first. The "shine" effect matches what stock 8.1 Update 1 includes for it's Start Screen button, which has moved from popping up in the corner to where the Start Button is usually. Microsoft describes it as a shine effect in their list of changes, if I remember correctly.

Wait. So what did it used to do before? I'm too new to Windows 8.1 to know. I didn't even have Windows 8. I'm just trying out the 90-Day Windows 8.1 Enterprise Evaluation.

Wait. So what did it used to do before? I'm too new to Windows 8.1 to know. I didn't even have Windows 8. I'm just trying out the 90-Day Windows 8.1 Enterprise Evaluation.

Windows 8 originally didn't have anything where the Start Button traditionally appeared. Instead, if you moved your mouse to the very bottom left corner of the screen, a thumbnail of the Start Screen would appear. If you left clicked it, it took you to the new interface Start Screen. If you right clicked it, then you got the same options you got by right-clicking the Start Button (or Start Menu) in StartIsBack, IF you have the option checked "Use Advanced Start Button context menu", with the addition of the "Properties" option since that's specific to configuring the Start Menu.

It was still like this in Windows 8.1 until the Spring 2014 Update came out. That's at least partially why SiB had to be updated for full compatibility with the new update.

Edited by roirraWedorehT

Windows 8 originally didn't have anything where the Start Button traditionally appeared. Instead, if you moved your mouse to the very bottom left corner of the screen, a thumbnail of the Start Screen would appear. If you left clicked it, it took you to the new interface Start Screen. If you right clicked it, then you got the same options you got by right-clicking the Start Button (or Start Menu) in StartIsBack, IF you have the option checked "Use Advanced Start Button context menu", with the addition of the "Properties" option since that's specific to configuring the Start Menu.

It was still like this in Windows 8.1 until the Spring 2014 Update came out. That's at least partially why SiB had to be updated for full compatibility with the new update.

Spring 2014 Update? Do you mean Update 1? I mean, I don't have Update 1 and I've never seen the thumbnail.

Spring 2014 Update? Do you mean Update 1? I mean, I don't have Update 1 and I've never seen the thumbnail.

Yes, same thing. Have you put the mouse in the bottom left corner? Also, the default configuration in SiB might be to disable that corner - I forget.

Edited by roirraWedorehT

Oh, that's a thumbnail? I just thought it was like some kind of pseudo Start Menu button.

By the way: did you know that every once in a while, this will appear if you put my mouse down in the corner? I don't know how to get it to happen on demand yet, but I suppose I could try to figure out what triggers it.

Edited by TwoCables

Oh, that's a thumbnail? I just thought it was like some kind of pseudo Start Menu button.

Whatever you want to call it. :) I don't call it the Start Button since it's behavior is so different.

Yeah, I wonder if even Microsoft has a name for it. Maybe it's the Start Button.

Edited by TwoCables

Whatever you want to call it. :) I don't call it the Start Button since it's behavior is so different.

Yeah, I wonder if even Microsoft has a name for it. Maybe it's the Start Button.

Probably, I don't recall. I still haven't gotten past them declaring that "Metro" wasn't the official name of the new interface, when they switched it at the last moment - or actually IIRC a week or two after Windows 8 RTM'ed, to "Modern UI". The interface previously known as Metro.

Probably, I don't recall. I still haven't gotten past them declaring that "Metro" wasn't the official name of the new interface, when they switched it at the last moment - or actually IIRC a week or two after Windows 8 RTM'ed, to "Modern UI". The interface previously known as Metro.

And now seems to be called "Start". lol

I have a different name for it. :)

Edited by TwoCables

In order for StartIsBack to re-apply some settings like Start screen shortcut, you need to delete SettingsVersion registry value in your registry backup file:

"SettingsVersion"=-

In order for StartIsBack to re-apply some settings like Start screen shortcut, you need to delete SettingsVersion registry value in your registry backup file:

"SettingsVersion"=-

That didn't make any difference on my system.

How does one add an item to the right side menu? I see a nice list of the items in the configuration, but no obvious way to add or delete items. I would like to add "Elevated Command Prompt"

How does one add an item to the right side menu?  I see a nice list of the items in the configuration, but no obvious way to add or delete items.  I would like to add "Elevated Command Prompt"

The right side is only for folders, there's an option above the list to add folders.

For elevated command prompt, the quickest way is to right click the start button and choose it there. You have to have "Use advanced Start button context menu" checked in the appearance section of SiB.

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy SIII with M.O.A.R. v9.0, dkp kernel dated 3/20/2014 and TWRP v2.7.0.0.