It's a bug in Windows 8.1 Update 1, not the Start Menus :) MS fanboys were also tweeting about it. Sometimes the Taskbar just fails to appear when the pointer touches the bottom edge. Sometimes it appears without any problem. It's unreliable. Win+T makes it show every time though.

That explains it, i guess.

I wish I knew how to reproduce this. It happens only rarely, but it does happen. I am on 1.5.2 version by the way, so may be I will install the latest one and give it few days and then update you ??

Sure you should. 1.5.2 has easily reproduceable 'bottom-left screen corner stops working' issue on Spring Update which was fixed in 1.6 beta 2.

It's a bug in Windows 8.1 Update 1, not the Start Menus :) MS fanboys were also tweeting about it. Sometimes the Taskbar just fails to appear when the pointer touches the bottom edge. Sometimes it appears without any problem. It's unreliable. Win+T makes it show every time though.

I'm not sure it's a 8.1.1 bug as is.

They made screen corner logic fragile so any attempt to control screen corners outside (hide, disable) may break them. Maybe they break by themselves.

+1.6 RC2

http://www.startisback.com/StartIsBackPlus_setupRC.exe

New broken build, now with evil :ph34r: inside!

New Advanced setting: Terminate modern apps with close button for Spring Update:

When enabled, modern apps will be terminated (like with Alt-F4)

- When you close them with [ X ]Close button on title bar

- When you close them with 'Close window' menu item on taskbar

- When you close them with 'Close' window menu item.

They still won't be terminated:

- When you close them from Win-Tab list

- When you close with with swipe gesture (without holding them down)

Wow this feature of terminating Modern apps is exactly my idea! :thumbup It gets so annoying having to remember to close them using Alt+F4.

Edit: But it isn't working for me for any of the methods on Windows 8.1 x64 with Update 1. The app's process is still shown in Task Manager and in my third party Alt+Tab replacement called VistaSwitcher.

Edit 2: Fixed

Edited by xpclient

Edit: But it isn't working for me for any of the methods on Windows 8.1 x64 with Update 1. The app's process is still shown in Task Manager and in my third party Alt+Tab replacement called VistaSwitcher.

Are you running build 17031, twinui.dll md5 32b3bb346db459bac01eee23a989c0f2?

OK, just installed it. But I'll have to wait for another week to have and use the new features for the spring update. Love it if I don't have to press Alt+F4 any more to close a modern application!

Btw Tihiy, are you the guy answering as startisback on this site: https://moot.it/startisback

I find him a little bit nicer than you are here! Anyone can ask and reply there, right?

Weird! If I follow these steps: going to startisback.com > Support > General community forum, then I can read all the questions and replies there without any problems.

But when I try clicking on the link I posted above, there will be a box asking me to join or log in. Why is it so strange? It's exactly the same link I copied from the address bar.

Weird! If I follow these steps: going to startisback.com > Support > General community forum, then I can read all the questions and replies there without any problems.
But when I try clicking on the link I posted above, there will be a box asking me to join or log in. Why is it so strange? It's exactly the same link I copied from the address bar.

Confirmed, and I agree, weird.