Sorry for the breakage! Please re-download. If you got explorer broken, run 'StartIsBackCfg /uninstall' from task manager.

MrGRiM, that's the expected behavior.

kenw232, currently in any RDP sessions shutdown options are removed.

So you mean it is expected to not be able to open the start menu other then pressing the windows key, if this is expected then why when using a custom start button are you able to have the start button enabled to open the start menu and in the far left you can still access the default start button to open the start screen, I would expect the same behavior if selecting the default start button image, also I notice that when it is enabled that way you can not click the start button a second time to return t the desktop, you have to move the mouse off the start button and then move it back again to click it a second time.

It's working with a relatively fresh install of Windows 8.1 with the 2014 Spring Update integrated.

roirraWedorehT: I'm just curious where you were able to get the 2014 Spring Update. I've not been able to find a method that works, including a registry hack that supposedly enables getting it via Microsoft Update.

Edited by CompUser

It's working with a relatively fresh install of Windows 8.1 with the 2014 Spring Update integrated.

roirraWedorehT: I'm just curious where you were able to get the 2014 Spring Update. I've not been able to find a method that works, including a registry hack that supposedly enables getting it via Microsoft Update.

Answering in PM.

Where exactly are the Start Menu pinned items saved? I looked in "C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\StartMenu" and there is nothing there. Shortcuts I put in there are ignored.

post-389793-0-51338800-1395255073_thumb.

They're in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StartPage3 first.

You can add items with command 'startscreen /pintostartmenu pathtofile'.

Thanks, but when I run "startscreen /pintostartmenu pathtofile" from the command prompt I get "startscreen" is not recognized. This is under Windows Server 2012 R2.

Although when I run "startscreen" from the Run command it brings up the start screen. is this something that cannot be executed from the command prompt?

Thanks, but when I run "startscreen /pintostartmenu pathtofile" from the command prompt I get "startscreen" is not recognized. This is under Windows Server 2012 R2.

Although when I run "startscreen" from the Run command it brings up the start screen. is this something that cannot be executed from the command prompt?

He probably meant StartIsBack instead of StartScreen.

Thanks, but when I run "xxx" from the command prompt I get "xxx" is not recognized. Although when I run "xxx" from the Run command it xxx.

I hope you can find the answer yourself, being a Windows Server administrator.

Thanks for the beta. A request, probably already asked for. An option to force installation of Windows' updates during shutdown, if it's pending. This will execute a full shutdown (the regular shutdown type in Win 7 and earlier), instead of the hibernation-type shutdown Windows 8 uses as default.

Current Windows 8/8.1 behaviour is quite annoying and questionable security-wise. It'll only install pending updates with a restart. If no restart ever occurs, it'll force the update (and the restart) after some days onto the user. I know it's not directly related to SiB's function, but it is adds extra security for the user. Also, since SiB emulates older start menus, the option Shutdown and install updates (or sth. like that) was present in older Windows versions. Not sure about this, but I think it was the only option available when there where pending updates.

Edited by Amigafever

Current Windows 8/8.1 behaviour is quite annoying and questionable security-wise.

Are you sure that 8.1 behaviour is the same?

Have a look here:

Thanks - hmm, I don't remeber ever seeing it. Even if it's now there, doesn't look like it's set as default, but merely as an extra shutdown type/option.

Edited by Amigafever

I'm looking at running StartIsBack+ on a WIndows Server 2012 remote desktop thing. Does anyone know if there is an easy way to lock it down so normal users don't go into the settings and screw up their start is back settings? All I can think of is making the registry key (eg. HKLM\Software\StartIsBack) read only? Thanks for any tips.

I'm looking at running StartIsBack+ on a WIndows Server 2012 remote desktop thing. Does anyone know if there is an easy way to lock it down so normal users don't go into the settings and screw up their start is back settings? All I can think of is making the registry key (eg. HKLM\Software\StartIsBack) read only? Thanks for any tips.

I'm not positive but this might help;

http://www.startisback.com/#download-tab

Additional downloads

+1.6 BETA 2

http://www.startisback.com/StartIsBackPlus_setupBETA.exe

- Bottom-left corner rules change, again:

* Default button no longer combines with bottom-left corner (unless on touchscreen)
* Bottom-left corner becomes available with slight delay
- Fix beta: bottom-left corner goes below start button
- Fix beta: autohide taskbar didn't hide on start screen