StartIsBack+ 1.6 BETA 0

http://www.startisback.com/StartIsBackPlus_setupBETA.exe

Updates overhaul:

* StartIsBack by default now automatically downloads updates in background, using BITS service
* Update toast is displayed for a longer time
* 'New version is available' link leads to download / changes page
* 'New version is available' link does not vanish
Other changes:
- Flyout menus are responsive at all times regardless of Windows disk icon cache
- Icons for Modern UI apps are displayed when dragging them out of Start Apps folder
- When Windows updates are present, Shutdown button shuts down with installing updates
* (previosly you had to select 'Update and shut down'
- Preliminary support for pinning Start Apps items to taskbar (Windows 8.1 Spring Update)
- Fix: 'Problem with shortcuts' dialogs could be thrown on startup

adding glow behind text in jumplist will also add glow in the second column of start menu, can you do something about it?

jumpglow.png

StartIsBack+ 1.6 BETA 0

Updates overhaul:

* StartIsBack by default now automatically downloads updates in background, using BITS service

* Update toast is displayed for a longer time

* 'New version is available' link leads to download / changes page

* 'New version is available' link does not vanish

Other changes:

- Flyout menus are responsive at all times regardless of Windows disk icon cache

- Icons for Modern UI apps are displayed when dragging them out of Start Apps folder

- When Windows updates are present, Shutdown button shuts down with installing updates

* (previosly you had to select 'Update and shut down'

- Preliminary support for pinning Start Apps items to taskbar (Windows 8.1 Spring Update)

- Fix: 'Problem with shortcuts' dialogs could be thrown on startup

adding glow behind text in jumplist will also add glow in the second column of start menu, can you do something about it?

jumpglow.png

This works exactly the same in Windows 7, there is no separate property to where glow can be added without effecting the other.

This works exactly the same in Windows 7, there is no separate property to where glow can be added without effecting the other.

I know but he can't do anything about it? SiB should have its own skin settings since it's a separate program.

Edited by Tusticles

There is a bunch of minor issues on Windows 8.1 Update 1, they shall be sorted out before official release.

I've been busy with my new job.

Thanks for working on an update, and congratulations on your new job! :-)

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Hi Tihiy, I have a little problem that has bugged me for a long time now and wondered if there was anything you can do to fix it, when there is a pending windows update there is a little shield icon that appears on the shutdown button in the start menu, now in Windows 8 this shield was treated like an overlay and did not displace any content in the shutdown button but in SIB+ the icon displaces the content and this causes issues with some of my themes and and pushes the logofff button out of the start menu, is there any chance you could take it back to being just an overlay as it was in Windows 8, it would be greatly appreciated.

Noticed another bug, not sure if you picked up on it.

Just noticed some application icons within the start menu appended with (2), (3), etc.. if I attempt to delete the field "(*)" startisback+ states that there already is a program by that name in the start menu. it's not visible...

When unpinning the program from the start menu and repinning it, the program is renamed to (2), (3), etc.. again.

Edited by epic

StartIsBack +1.6 BETA 1

beta 0 changes

- Windows 8.1 Spring Update support

- Default start button now has 'shine' effect

- Start menu preloads icons more aggresively
- All Programs XP style new program highlighting works better
- Hot screen corners work better on multiple monitors
Fixed:
- 'Make start menu adjacent to vertical taskbar' was broken with auto-hide taskbar
- 'Remove and prevent access to Shutdown, Restart and Hibernate' policy didn't allow logging off

I'm afraid there won't be many more changes as 1.6 deadline is soon.

However, I'm open to suggestions what to do with Spring Update gifts and craps we've received.

Also please test this version well. There were some DWM crashes on Spring Update related to immersive taskbar, so tell me if you confirm those.

Edited by Tihiy

It cause blank screen break the explorer whenever I try to install it. I haven't tried to install update 1 yet. I'm using Windows 8.1 x86.

Edited by rocky

Yup same here. 1.6 beta 0 didn't have this issue. I am running the Update 1. (Windows 8.1 Pro U1 32bit). If this is a known bug I will wait to try to update others.

Will this be resolved before the final version? You mention there will not be many changes. Just curious if I'm going to have to tell my clients not to update if they are prompted.

Edited by nheimler

StartIsBack +1.6 BETA 1

beta 0 changes

- Windows 8.1 Spring Update support

- Default start button now has 'shine' effect

- Start menu preloads icons more aggresively
- All Programs XP style new program highlighting works better
- Hot screen corners work better on multiple monitors
Fixed:
- 'Make start menu adjacent to vertical taskbar' was broken with auto-hide taskbar
- 'Remove and prevent access to Shutdown, Restart and Hibernate' policy didn't allow logging off

I'm afraid there won't be many more changes as 1.6 deadline is soon.

However, I'm open to suggestions what to do with Spring Update gifts and craps we've received.

Also please test this version well. There were some DWM crashes on Spring Update related to immersive taskbar, so tell me if you confirm those.

It's working with a relatively fresh install of Windows 8.1 with the 2014 Spring Update integrated.

found a bug, when using the default start button and using "enable bottom-left screen corner (start screen button)" the start menu button is disabled and only the start screen button is active

Any reason why the DWM bug would still linger after a complete uninstall of SIB? I did leave the settings and license info. After a some number of reboots after the beta 1 install and removal it occationally is now doing this still. I'll watch it over the next few days but just giving you a heads up Tihiy. Thanks again!

I installed StartIsBack+ on Windows Server 2012 R2 using Remote Desktop Services. Does anyone know why I might be missing my Shutdown & Restart commands in the Start Menu for Administrator now? See admin.jpg. To make things more confusing, a normal non-admin user actually shows the two options but they are greyed out which is correct. Its strange because what I want and would expect is the complete opposite - Admin should show the two options, and normal users should not see them or have them greyed out.

Anyone know how to change this and get back the two Shutdown/Restart options as Admin?

post-389793-0-43385500-1395046069_thumb.

post-389793-0-69485100-1395046069_thumb.

Sorry for the breakage! Please re-download. If you got explorer broken, run 'StartIsBackCfg /uninstall' from task manager.

MrGRiM, that's the expected behavior.

kenw232, currently in any RDP sessions shutdown options are removed.