no matter how many items I set on the right, it still looks same

sorry Tihiy if I bother you again, just small concern here

image with enabled "Display Start screen shortcut"

tKcZcQT.png

and here when it disable

TmEMKod.png

as we can see above, there's a space when that option being disabled

no matter how many items I set on the right, it still looks same

This is normal behavior and has been like that since Windows 7 depending on how many items you have shown/pinned in the program list.

I have a problem on a fresh Windows 8.1 upgrade - Help and support and Run are not localized. Everything else is... I see that it should be fixed with beta2, but it is not. I should probably mention that SIB was installed before changing LIP.

Sorry, which language that is?

I have a few shortcut icons on my desktop that point to a Truecrypt container (drive letter Z: ) that I mount/dismount when needed. Since installing StartIsBack+, every time I boot up I get this window for each icon that points to Z:

post-111033-0-22582400-1390519910_thumb.

I have to click OK or close each window. How do I keep these icons on the desktop and stop the windows appearing?

Edited by DrStrange

The program Explorer.EXE version 6.3.9600.16441 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Action Center control panel.

Process ID: a04

Start Time: 01cf1901dd93867e

Termination Time: 0

Application Path: C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE

Report Id: 31c9d0ac-84f5-11e3-827b-50e549bf87ee

Faulting package full name:

Faulting package-relative application ID:

I am getting this in the event viewer on every other start, just now it was 3 times in a row. Leaves me with a blank taskbar and no shell. Still can launch the task manager and start explorer.exe itself without issues though. Just removed SiB+ and the problem went away.

I have a few shortcut icons on my desktop that point to a Truecrypt container (drive letter Z: ) that I mount/dismount when needed. Since installing StartIsBack+, every time I boot up I get this window for each icon that points to Z:

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

I have to click OK or close each window. How do I keep these icons on the desktop and stop the windows appearing?

That's critical issue if it really happens.

Can you check if Start menu is responsive / filled with icons before you close those error windows?

You can also post an Autoruns report.

The program Explorer.EXE version 6.3.9600.16441 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Action Center control panel. Process ID: a04 Start Time: 01cf1901dd93867e Termination Time: 0 Application Path: C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE Report Id: 31c9d0ac-84f5-11e3-827b-50e549bf87ee Faulting package full name:  Faulting package-relative application ID:
I am getting this in the event viewer on every other start, just now it was 3 times in a row. Leaves me with a blank taskbar and no shell. Still can launch the task manager and start explorer.exe itself without issues though. Just removed SiB+ and the problem went away.

Search 'View all problem reports' in start menu, then find a crash for Windows explorer. If there are files attached, post them here.

If not, enable local crash dumps by adding to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\LocalDumps value DumpFolder valued '%LOCALAPPDATA%\CrashDumps', then reboot and see for newest 'explorer.exe...dmp' file, attach it here.

There was no "LocalDumps" key, so I created one. The crash report didn't have any files attached, but it had a bit more info, though don't know if it's useful:

SourceWindows ExplorerSummaryStopped responding and was closedDate‎24.‎01.‎2014 13:43StatusReport sentDescriptionA problem caused this program to stop interacting with Windows.Faulting Application Path:	C:\Windows\explorer.exeProblem signatureProblem Event Name:	AppHangB1Application Name:	explorer.exeApplication Version:	6.3.9600.16441Application Timestamp:	5265dec8Hang Signature:	3773Hang Type:	134217728OS Version:	6.3.9600.2.0.0.256.48Locale ID:	1031Additional Hang Signature 1:	37731c1ea089becee6abec56695fb948Additional Hang Signature 2:	7df2Additional Hang Signature 3:	7df20843dfaed37b052296fd7cf1e87cAdditional Hang Signature 4:	3773Additional Hang Signature 5:	37731c1ea089becee6abec56695fb948Additional Hang Signature 6:	7df2Additional Hang Signature 7:	7df20843dfaed37b052296fd7cf1e87cExtra information about the problemBucket ID:	0ccfd5d44e35231b41ca8eb0b07dd6cb (-245331629)
I have to add that I had SiB state it "isn't feeling well" once on the about screen, but it went away after a restart. I also notice that the modernUI (e.g. win+s) is taking long to respond, but there is nothing active in task manager.

The start menu is responsive but there are no recent programs in it, just a blank space. Once I close the invalid shortcut window, then the recent programs come back. As a hopefully temporary solution, I put the icons into a folder on the desktop, and I don't get the invalid shortcut window.

SysInternals Autoruns report attached.

AutoRuns.zip

Edited by DrStrange

this is a hang, WER doesn't create such dumps. Use ProcDump or ProcessExplorer to generate dumps of the hanging Explorer.

The problem is, when I get to the point I can launch anything, the hanging explorer is already killed by the system. I am stuck on the login screen until that happens. Edited by Soukyuu

DrStange, here is a fixed version, 1.5.3:

http://www.startisback.com/StartIsBackPlus_setupRC.exe

- Flyout menus are responsive at all times regardless of Windows disk icon cache

- Icons for Modern UI apps are displayed when dragging them out of Start Apps folder
- Fix: 'Problem with shortcuts' dialogs could be thrown on startup

That bug you have happens if:

1) You have 'broken' shortcuts on desktop

2) They're not to to programs

3) Yet they're still in recently launched programs list somehow