hi I upgraded to startisback+ 1.5 and now whenever I start my PC this is what I see (see attached). As soon as I click the start button it goes away but it is rather annoying *EVERY* time I start my pc I get this. also the issue of the taskbar jumping off the bottom of the screen is still not solved for me (the last issue I posted about)

It won't be fixed anytime soon. Nvidia Surround is a bad hack and i'm unable to make friends with it, nor do I have 3 monitor setup.

Version +1.5.1

It's possible again to use both start button and bottom-left corner (if you select non-default start orb).

Start menu no longer should be slowed down by Windows icon cache

Fixed: UAC dialog may be invisible with specific UAC settings

Fixed: Start button may be absent with specific RDP / monitor login
That Windows icon cache issue is a tricky undocumented beast since it caused implicit unexpected I/O on UI thread; that should be resolved.
Icons to programs located on powered off / network / slow drives should no longer delay start menu opening.
If you find icons flashing more than they should, please tell me so.
Edited by Tihiy

Hello and merry christmas :)

I have been using startisback for some time with W8 x64 with success - but then again for some time I have been back at W7 x64. Now I'm back with W8.1 x64 and I have an issue. Both v1.5 and v1.51 only restarts windows ui when I choose to shutdown the pc. I have made a video of the issue here:

Can I assist you in correcting the issue? :)

Jesper

Hello and merry christmas :)

I have been using startisback for some time with W8 x64 with success - but then again for some time I have been back at W7 x64. Now I'm back with W8.1 x64 and I have an issue. Both v1.5 and v1.51 only restarts windows ui when I choose to shutdown the pc. I have made a video of the issue here:

Disable hybrid shutdown.

That Windows icon cache issue is a tricky undocumented beast since it caused implicit unexpected I/O on UI thread; that should be resolved.

Yes, it looks like the beast is dead now, as it's lightning fast, thanks!

I had also seen the UAC issue this last week, but I hadn't realized yet that it was related to SIB even though I'd never seen it happen before then. It's working now too.

For some time now I've had the problem that every now and then, clicking the start menu button brought up the Win8.1 start screen, rather than the start menu provided by startisback.

Today I've finally managed to track down what causes this - it seems that when the charms bar is invoked on the desktop, it activates the built-in start menu in Windows 8.1. This can be reproduced by doing the following: Click the Start Menu button, then in the menu select the "Connect to" option which will bring up the connectivity charms. Now click the start menu button again (you need to hit the lower left corner of the screen)

You'll notice a different button background and the button is slightly larger (because the native button just is like that) and then instead of bringing up the start menu, it goes to the start screen.

Click anywhere else after the charms bar has disappeared, and things are fine.

Of course I have the lower left hot corner disabled, but it also happens if all hot corners are disabled.

This happens even on the latest 1.5.1 version as well as previous versions.

Is it possible to use the start button provided by the microsoft(8.1 ofc) to open our start menu.

I like the animation of the default start button.If its not there can you add this feature in future build?

Thanks,

Tihiy: Firstly, thank you very much for an awesome tool. :thumbup

I'm currently checking it out, but I guess StartIsBack+ 1.5.1 seems to be the one tool I need.

I've got 2 fresh client systems here for unattended Windows 8.1 installations.

The icing on the cake would be an additional unattended switch for the SIB+ installer.

(I don't mind writing a little script either, featuring stuff like 7z x -o"%ProgramFiles(x86)%\StartIsBack+\" SIB+.7z, regsvr32 /s StartIsBack64.dll ...)

That would be really great and an asset compared to similar tools!

Thanks for considering my suggestion.

B)

Edited by Mikka

I'm using something like this:

StartIsBack_setup.exe /elevated /silent

This installs for all users.

After installation, I'm importing a registry file with all settings to set the menu style and orb.

Only issue seems to be the first config screen, as much as I set the "WelcomeShown" value, it still shows...

Cheers.

I did a test in a vm, this line --called unattendedly or not-- gives me a bluepurple screen ...

Seems to be yet buggy. Applying some settings (via .reg import) would be okay, though.

@Tihiy: I acquired 2 licenses for SIB+, all I miss is a working unattended setup procedure (progpath & most important settings to keep things silently).

Edited by Mikka

Please adjust the installer name to what you are using, and execute this as admin. Else it will fail.

SiB auto-elevates, you may write a small batch and use the "runas" command if calling this from ROE, depending on wether you need to restart explorer shell.

Other than that, the line is 100% working.

Cheers.

I see an issue when SIB+ is used together with Win8.1's built-in family safety feature. I have a child account set up with time limits, SIB+ active and set to go to the desktop on login. In many cases when family safety takes over the screen but before the desktop is shown (such as after login or resume when you need permission for more time) once you get to the desktop all the icons are missing. There are what appears to be 1 or 2 minimized windows instead and double clicking on one gives you the icons back. I attached a portion of a screen shot.

It is a bit inconsistent when this happens, but it never occurs if SIB+ is disabled for that account. I think the most consistent way to recreate it is to let the users time expire, put the PC to sleep, then wake it and add more time. If you need any more info or help to get this fixed I'll be happy to assist.

post-385750-0-67606900-1388327706_thumb.

@Tihiy what new goodies are waiting for us in SiB+ 1.6 or 2.0 (whatever is next)

Docked Start Screen ?

Start screen as background (Run start menu and programs on top of the start screen) ?

windowed apps ?

Thanks for your great work :D

Hi,

I'm running StartIsBack+ 1.5.1 on Windows 8.1 on a Dell Latitude E6530, the video card is Intel HD4000 + Nvidia NVS 5200M. I have the Nvidia drivers version 326.80.

I have enabled Nvidia Nview multi screen/virtual desktop software.

The problem is that when I switch to a virtual desktop from the booted one, that is called default desktop, I lost the taskbar blurring effect on the new desktop, If I go back to the default desktop, blurring effect is still there.

The only way I can bring back the blurring effect for the taskbar on a virtual desktop is if I click on orb to open the start menu then the taskbar become blurred again.

But as soon that i am back on the default desktop, and then I return on a virtual desktop, the taskbar have lost the blurring effect until I do the process described above.

If you have any solution.

Thank you.

Edited by wmaniac