+1.5RC2

http://www.startisback.com/StartIsBackPlus_setupRC.exe

- Improved start menu scaling on high DPI displays (proportions don't get blown off)
- Improved Directory Opus compatibility
- Fixed custom folders configuration issues
- Fixed uninstaller leaving empty keys in registry
- Fixed Start Apps folder change icon dialog behind all programs flyout
- Not using AeroLite theme ugly separators
- Selecting an orb disables bottom-left edge to avoid confusion
Edited by Tihiy

Thanks for the update Tyhiy, wish you had released this fix for the dpi a bit earlier, been working on my themes the last few days and finally had them working with all the dpi settings but now they are all messed up again lol oh well lets see if I can sort them out again.

Edit: Looking at the new dpi scaling I am finding it impossible to fix on some of my themes now, this is because you have changed the scaling for the open box and log off and also the more programs but it does not match the scaling of the open box and logoff, could you please do the same scaling to the more programs as well so it scales exactly the same as the open box?

Edited by MrGRiM

Thanks for the update Tyhiy, wish you had released this fix for the dpi a bit earlier, been working on my themes the last few days and finally had them working with all the dpi settings but now they are all messed up again lol oh well lets see if I can sort them out again.

Edit: Looking at the new dpi scaling I am finding it impossible to fix on some of my themes now, this is because you have changed the scaling for the open box and log off and also the more programs but it does not match the scaling of the open box and logoff, could you please do the same scaling to the more programs as well so it scales exactly the same as the open box?

Updated RC2: not using new scaling for full msstyles.

New scaling method scales content rectangle [ ((rectangle-margins)*scale)+margins ]

post-36858-0-18712900-1386758218_thumb.p

post-36858-0-23900900-1386758224_thumb.p

Edited by Tihiy

Updated RC2: not using new scaling for full msstyles.

New scaling method scales content rectangle [ ((rectangle-margins)*scale)+margins ]

OK I tested it again now with matching margins and I can see how it was meant to work, the way you had it was perfect, sorry for the trouble, you can change it back again.

OK I tested it again now with matching margins and I can see how it was meant to work, the way you had it was perfect, sorry for the trouble, you can change it back again.

Are you sure it's not a compat breaker? I'll test more styles if they work OK with new scaling. HUD Evo doesn't work well with either scaling from what I've seen.

Sweet shame! StartIsBack got a knownledge base article.

Wow, that's a low blow right there. Pawning of their black screen problems on others.

When I think of a black screen on Windows 6.x it is most often Windows\SoftwareDistribution or Windows\Registration or SxS or Downloaded Installations or any number of FUBAR'd system features, and lately even from Windows Update itself. But not a 3rd party utility.

That KB has a neat little thing too, first time I remember seeing it ... "Hot thread for this issue" with a link to a Social.Technet webpage. Definitely a busy thread. The poor users are being dragged through the usual checklist of video drivers, SFC, ... the kitchen sink. ~sigh~

But I didn't see any clear cut case of your SIB program being the culprit ( one guy says he needed an SIB update but it is unclear if a black screen was even involved ). I did see "Windows Activation Technology" as one cause. Another one is the "App Readiness Service" which I would take a hard look at as it sure sounds like a program breaker.

But I didn't see any clear cut case of your SIB program being the culprit ( one guy says he needed an SIB update but it is unclear if a black screen was even involved ). I did see "Windows Activation Technology" as one cause. Another one is the "App Readiness Service" which I would take a hard look at as it sure sounds like a program breaker.

The KB is true. SIB 1.33 or lower does cause black screen after you upgrade to Windows 8.1. I've mailed early users and put an warning into FAQ, but only time machine could help. A lot of illegal 1.3x copies were floating around as well.

Are you sure it's not a compat breaker? I'll test more styles if they work OK with new scaling. HUD Evo doesn't work well with either scaling from what I've seen.

Yeah I'm pretty happy with it, I am actually in the process of adding different dpi images for 96 120 and 144 and so far I am having lots of joy with it, now I figured out how the content margins affect the dpi scaling I have an even better result.

Yeah I'm pretty happy with it, I am actually in the process of adding different dpi images for 96 120 and 144 and so far I am having lots of joy with it, now I figured out how the content margins affect the dpi scaling I have an even better result.

That's all good, but I need to be sure all existing styles would work fine. Do you know where can I find a lot of msstyles?

Edit: OK, i've tested all styles i could find on deviantArt and those which handled DPI changing survived new scaling algorithm.

Edited by Tihiy

That's all good, but I need to be sure all existing styles would work fine. Do you know where can I find a lot of msstyles?

Edit: OK, i've tested all styles i could find on deviantArt and those which handled DPI changing survived new scaling algorithm.

That's good to hear, I did test a couple I had downloaded as well and they worked fine, it was just my HUD ones mainly I was having the problems with but I have figured out a way to make them work well with the new scaling, one thing I found a bit strange was the extended places list though, with my new HUD themes I had the default panel size the same for extended so it remained the same size but now with the new dpi scaling the extended list still grows, not sure why that is but I managed to find a working solution for that as well.

Edited by MrGRiM