Hello ! Thank you for your really usefull and awesome StartIsBack :)

It's help me to like Windows 8 ^^

But, recently, I got some ideas, that I think can improve StartIsBack+, and make Start menu and ModernUI merge better.

Here some screens I made : https://www.dropbox.com/sh/azbgn2xb56j7625/x72l0l-pMu

In brief, make possible the displaying of desktop applications on the ModernUI interface. I think it's a good idea, and this can help the most recalcitrant user to go on Win8 !

Thank you ;)

(Sorry if my english is bad, I'm french ;) )

Good idea!I saw pictures,something very similar to retro ui.Now i hope to take into account Tihiy

Edited by stelian88

Know what else SiB needs that Windows 7 had? Remember how you used to be able to press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER while highlighting an item in the start menu or start menu search to run the application as an administrator? Well, personally I think that needs to be brought back as well.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Know what else SiB needs that Windows 7 had? Remember how you used to be able to press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER while highlighting an item in the start menu or start menu search to run the application as an administrator? Well, personally I think that needs to be brought back as well.

That has always worked just fine for me.

Actually, it works on StartIsBack+ ;)

But, recently, I got some ideas, that I think can improve StartIsBack+, and make Start menu and ModernUI merge better.

Here some screens I made : https://www.dropbox.com/sh/azbgn2xb56j7625/x72l0l-pMu

1) Replace desktop with start screen.

- How would you use start screen where you can't do things which you can do on a desktop?

- How would you access desktop files and folders?

2) Overlay metro apps with desktop apps, start menu and taskbar

- That would look terrible unless you put consistent design on all stuff. Translucency will be awful unless hand-tuned.

3) Hot corners and metro apps on taskbar.

- What use of top-left and bottom-left edge will be for?

I imagined what I suggest as an option, that you can enable or disable. If you want to use the desktop only, you can :)

To answers to your questions :

1 - I don't see what you can do an the desktop, except a right-click ... And I don't have any icons on my desktop, just the trash.

So, is for that I suggest that, it's because I don't use my deskop at all and I want to use ModernUI, but with a start menu. For who want to do the same, it's could be a very usefull option.

2 - I don't think that would look terrible, as you said, at last personaly. And for the translucency, I don't know of it's hard to implements :/

3 - Why not completly disabled top and bottom left corners, they will be useless finally !

Voila ! As I said, it's just some ideas I got, and it's can be improve. Tell me what you think of that :)

Edited by bsymon

I imagined what I suggest as an option, that you can enable or disable. If you want to use the desktop only, you can :)

To answers to your questions :

1 - I don't see what you can do an the desktop, except a right-click ... And I don't have any icons on my desktop, just the trash.

So, is for that I suggest that, it's because I don't use my deskop at all and I want to use ModernUI, but with a start menu. For who want to do the same, it's could be a very usefull option.

2 - I don't think that would look terrible, as you said, at last personaly. And for the translucency, I don't know of it's hard to implements :/

3 - Why not completly disabled top and bottom left corners, they will be useless finally !

Voila ! As I said, it's just some ideas I got, and it's can be improve. Tell me what you think of that :)

I do not agree with nr 3 = 3 - Why not completly disabled top and bottom left corners, they will be useless finally !

StartIsBack +1.5 BETA 3

http://www.startisback.com/StartIsBackPlus_setupBETA.exe

- StartIsBack upgrade no longer may require reboot / uninstall

- Multi-monitor settings are now in separate page (if you have multiple monitors or run "startisbackcfg /mutimon")

- Modern apps are not shown in search if neither modern recent apps nor folder are enabled

- Optimizations for 'not using start menu' scenario (bottom-left screen edge - original start button enabled):
* Start menu is not loaded into memory until used
* Original start button opens start menu on mouse wheel click or when swiped up (on touchscreen)
* Original start button works on taskbar on start screen as expected

- Minor UI changes

I'm not sure if you noticed, but TrendMicro insists that StartIsBack+ download URL is malicious (check here). Not the file itself, nor the site, just the download URL. I suggest you tell them to reclassify the URL, and put a warning (that TM is broken and should be disabled to download the file) on the download page - in my experience, that's the fastest way to get AV companies to actually do something about false positives.

Edited by ender`

Is there an option to hide this Administrative Tools folder from the All Programs section of the Start menu in StartIsBack+ ? I'm currently using v1.0.5.

No, but you can right-click it - Properties - set Hidden - Apply to this folder only. I don't think there will be a checkbox for that, one checkbox too many.

Thanks, that worked, and thank you for this great program!

Didn't the old StartIsBack for Windows 8 have this option? It's ok without it, beause it's easy to hide manually now that I know how.