Hello,

search function doesn't work for me. It worked well with startisback for windows 8, but now it shows poor results (if any), while searching in explorer quickly provides fast and correct results.

Can you help me?

Make sure both SIB Search options are on. Does program / setting search work correctly? Try running Search troubleshooter: C:\Windows\diagnostics\system\Search\DiagPackage.diagpkg

Hello,

search function doesn't work for me. It worked well with startisback for windows 8, but now it shows poor results (if any), while searching in explorer quickly provides fast and correct results.

Can you help me?

Make sure both SIB Search options are on. Does program / setting search work correctly? Try running Search troubleshooter: C:\Windows\diagnostics\system\Search\DiagPackage.diagpkg

Hello, thank you for your answer.

Both SIB search options are on, and the troubleshooter couldn't find any issue. Program / setting search works, and search for some files and folders works fine as well, but with some other files it doesn't. Searching with explorer (or clicking on "show more results" in SIB) always works.

I noticed another thing:

Suppose I search a folder called "[0 ] Experimental Methods". SIB doesn't find it. So I click on "show more results", it's there, I oper it and I open a file contained in it. After that, if I search for the same folder with Sib, it finds it. But still the results are different (worse) from what I obtain with "show more results" (or whathever i'ts called in english :-) )

David

With version 1.04 I still have the issue. I think there is a conflict with the Windows 8.1 setting to go to desktop at bot/closing app, but it is now grayed out and I can't change the setting.

AH. That means you have a policy which forces boot / return to desktop (GoToDesktopOnSignIn). SIB has to respect policies.

"PC Settings" doesn't show in Start Menu

I have enabled the setting:

yw36.png

But it doesn't show in Start menu:

ko6t.png

I've tried various different combinations of settings and searched the forum before posting here.

I do hope someone can point me to what I'm doing wrong.

P.S. A big thank you for this app - it makes Win 8 usable at a great price.

P.P.S. Running Win 8.1 x64 and have had this issue with StartIsBack+ 1.02-4

Edited by Huisie

Try running the following command from Run dialog:

shell:::{AD1405D2-30CF-4877-8468-1EE1C52C759F}\Apps\windows.immersivecontrolpanel_cw5n1h2txyewy!microsoft.windows.immersivecontrolpanel

Does that work?

Also try

shell:appsfolder\windows.immersivecontrolpanel_cw5n1h2txyewy!microsoft.windows.immersivecontrolpanel
Edited by Tihiy

Greets

First, let me apologize in advance for the giant pictures. Second, as you'll see from my screen shots I love being able to keep my desktop clean with my shortcuts all on the start menu and taskbar which makes Start Is Back awesome. Also, before upgrading to 8.1 I did a clean install of Windows 8 (otherwise my start menu would be loaded with shortcuts). The problem began in 1.0.3 and persists in 1.0.4. In earlier versions of Start Is Back+ the start menu didn't work at all on my setup so thanks for your timely updates.

The issue I am seeing is with a three monitor, 5760x1080 setup using AMD Eyefinity. When I cold start my system (turn it on using the power button) I get a huge start menu with small taskbar icons and larger than usual systray icons:

9kyh.png

Thereafter, I warm reboot (click restart on the start menu) and on restart the problems resolves itself:

e6oq.png

Until the next time I cold start when I get picture one again and then restart to get back to picture two. It's really is mostly just a nuisance having to start and then restart the computer to use it but I doubt you get a lot of feedback from multi-monitor users like myself and thought it could be useful.

Some system specs in the event something is relevant:

AMD FX-8350 Vishera

MSI R7950 Twin Frozr 3GD5/OC Radeon HD 7950 3GB

Asrock 990 FX Extreme 3

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900)

OCZ Vertex 4 SSD 256 GB

p.s. Also, the links on the support page for the Start Is Back and Start Is Back+ discuussion threads both link to the same place.

The issue I am seeing is with a three monitor, 5760x1080 setup using AMD Eyefinity. When I cold start my system (turn it on using the power button) I get a huge start menu with small taskbar icons and larger than usual systray icons:

Thereafter, I warm reboot (click restart on the start menu) and on restart the problems resolves itself:

That's definitely not caused by StartIsBack. Your whole system DPI changes. It could be driver or configuration issue. Search for 'dpi' in start menu, open dpi configuration window and, choose 'one scaling level for all displays' and set dpi back to 100%.

DPI may change when your physical monitor reports it, so it must be related to driver / monitor configuration.

That's definitely not caused by StartIsBack. Your whole system DPI changes. It could be driver or configuration issue. Search for 'dpi' in start menu, open dpi configuration window and, choose 'one scaling level for all displays' and set dpi back to 100%.

DPI may change when your physical monitor reports it, so it must be related to driver / monitor configuration.

Yep, that fixed it. Odd that it was changing on restart but that's Windows for you. Thanks much :thumbup

Edited by Ranadicus

Try running the following command from Run dialog:

shell:::{AD1405D2-30CF-4877-8468-1EE1C52C759F}\Apps\windows.immersivecontrolpanel_cw5n1h2txyewy!microsoft.windows.immersivecontrolpanel

Does that work?

Also try

shell:appsfolder\windows.immersivecontrolpanel_cw5n1h2txyewy!microsoft.windows.immersivecontrolpanel

Hi, Tihiy

Thanks for responding and apologies for not getting back to you sooner.

I found the problem - I disabled "Admin Approval Mode" in Security Policies:

Adminstative Tools => Local Security Policy => Local Policies => Security Options => User Account Control: Run all administrators in Admin Approval Mode

Once I enabled this again (the default option), "PC Settings" showed up on my Start Menu.

Unfortunately, it also adds a "Start Apps" folder to my All Apps menu.

This isn't situated at the usual locations for start menu shortcuts.

is it possible to remove this foilder from the start menu?

vz9c.png

Edited by Huisie