Tihiy, would you consider making an option to show the start button only on the main monitor?

Why I am asking about this: Today was my first full day working with Windows 8.1 and StartIsBack+, so I don’t know yet if I prefer a single start button or multiple start buttons. What is bugging me is that every time I log in, the first winkey press opens StartIsBack+ on my second monitor, not on the main one.

If you have the time to look into this, I would be happy to provide any info and feedback you need.

Cheers!

Edited by demetris

After upgrading to 8.1/SIB+, one of the programs I use (sorry, proprietary) refuses to start from the Start Is Back menu. It starts, but only appears in the Task Manager as a small background process and never really runs to display its window. However it starts just fine from a file manager or from Windows Explorer. I tried changing its compatibility, but nothing helped. It worked just fine in Win 8. Tried searching its name in Event Viewer, but no errors related to this.

Does it run properly for any of invoke places (search, all programs, pinned programs, find-exe-path-and-run)? What if you hold ctrl+shift when invoking it (elevating)? What if you right-click it and select Open? What if you do it with keyboard and enter key?

Search - No

All programs - No

Pinned programs - No

Run... - Yes

Explorer - Yes

Elevated - No

Right-click + Open - Yes *

Keyboard - No

I eventually found that the shortcut didn't list its target .exe, but even when I pinned the actual application .exe to Start menu and could see the .exe in the shortcut properties, it still doesn't run from StartIsBack. Feels like the SIB shortcut is somehow damaged or incompatible (even when created brand new). When I tried to open one of the files from its jumplist, the program actually starts and displays a file-opening dialog, but right after that goes once again to the background with no way to switch to it. (It actually doesn't have any background capabilities, it's a Word-like program)

* once I fixed the shortcut to actually have the .exe destination, Right-click+Open stopped working.

Is there a way to use the original start button that windows 8.1 has?

2nd this... the button MS provided is fine, just don't like where it goes to ;)

I dont't think you understand me. Instead of windows 7 orb for example can we have the one that 8.1 already has and opens the start menu? I am just saying if startisback has a way to use the BUTTON that 8.1 came with instead of another orb.

Yeah that's what I meant, I understood you perfectly,..

Tihiy,
The account picture doesn't display properly on my Start Menu. It's a little below the place where it should be. Is it because I don't use the default size of the items in Display Options?

Edit: removing the picture.

Edited by Aloha

Tihiy,

The account picture doesn't display properly on my Start Menu. It's a little below the place where it should be. Is it because I don't use the default size of the items in Display Options?

Yes, it's because of that. That will be fixed.

Tihiy,

are you going to make StartisBack+ to has the ability to use the original Windows 8.1 Start button?

I don't plan to. It does not go to start screen, so it should not be colorized like your start screen.

Edited by Tihiy

While i'm waiting for language updates, check out +1.0.2

http://www.startisback.com/StartIsBackPlus_setupRC.exe

- New: Japanese translation

- 'Resize to fit taskbar' when adding orb is off by default
- Fixed: PuTTY jumplist issue
- Fixed: uninstall folder ACL bug
- Fixed: userpic centering with font scaling
- Fixed: Start screen screenshot could be offset
- Fixed: Start screen animation did not play properly first time

Tihiy,

are you going to make StartisBack+ to has the ability to use the original Windows 8.1 Start button?

I noticed Classic Shell 4.0 DOES use the original 8.1 icon with the nice animation.

FYI, Start8 doesn't either.

So, Classic Shell 4.0 for me. Plus it looks awesome with AeroGlass mod from BM.

Edit, Since Windows 8... Now I have 3 Start menu options. Classic, Win-X, and (not really) Metro. 'vive la différence'

The right mouse button learned a new trick. And Microsoft taught/reminded us to actually use the Win key on our keyboards.

Edited by ralcool

- Fixed: userpic centering with font scaling

Thanks for the new version. User picture looks fine with 100%, 125% and 150% of the item size. It just doesn't fix with my odd custom settings!

It seems StartIsBack+ has some scaling issues on HiDP displays. I have a 13" Samsung Ultrabook sporting a 3200x1800 display. If I run the display at quarter resolution, the start menu looks pretty much okay, except that the scaling of the start menu icon doesn't happen properly:

DwUps.jpg

If I up the resolution to Full HD and set scaling to 125% (that's how the machine shipped), it looks pretty much the same

eaFTw.jpg

But if I run things at native resolution with 200% scaling factor, the start menu button image is too small, and the menu proportions are off

bW1CP.jpg

This is running release 1.0.1.

open the configurator,..
which configurator?
Otherwise i don't see major issues.
Scaling of the orb is off... it gets too large in the first two (even goes beyond the bounds of the taskbar), and too small in the 200% scaling one - as compared to how it looks on my other machine running at native resolution without any custom scaling:

fP29R.jpg