Yes, it shows this error also when I right-click start-botton and then click Properties, but then it opens :) and Start-Menù tab (in properties) its blank... i tryed unistalling (with "Remove settings and license data" checked) but nothing changed

Please export the following keys with regedit:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\StartIsBack

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StartPage

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StartPage3

and attach here

Yes, it shows this error also when I right-click start-botton and then click Properties, but then it opens :) and Start-Menù tab (in properties) its blank... i tryed unistalling (with "Remove settings and license data" checked) but nothing changed

Please export the following keys with regedit:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\StartIsBack

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StartPage

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StartPage3

and attach here

Like this?

HKEY_CURRENT_USER Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Explorer Advanced.reg

HKEY_CURRENT_USER Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Explorer StartPage.reg

HKEY_CURRENT_USER Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Explorer StartPage3.reg

HKEY_CURRENT_USER Software StartIsBack.reg

If you right-click a program and choose "Remove from this list" it should not reappear again. If you noticed that some program does, please tell me which program that is.

I always do that but these programs keep appearing :

notepad.exe, winrar.exe, mpc.exe (media player classic), winword.exe, wmplayer.exe.

I always do that but these programs keep appearing :

notepad.exe, winrar.exe, mpc.exe (media player classic), winword.exe, wmplayer.exe.

Can you reproduce this step-by-step? Are there any duplicate shortcuts for those items, like both on desktop and start menu? Do you have a policy to clear recently used programs on exit?

I've been having a strange issue for the last few builds where hitting the WinKey doesn't open SIB, however Ctrl+Win still opens the start screen. Has any one else experienced this?

I've been having a strange issue for the last few builds where hitting the WinKey doesn't open SIB, however Ctrl+Win still opens the start screen. Has any one else experienced this?

I did on 9471. Do you have Windows long-press configured? Try setting it to "Do nothing" if so, it could fix this.

Edited by Tihiy

I did on 9471. Do you have Windows long-press configured? Try setting it to "Do nothing" if so, it could fix this.

It was already set to do nothing, I've changed it to another option, applied, and changed it back to do nothing and applied again. Didn't work. Though apparently it depends on what program is focused. For example if Skype (desktop) is focused it won't work.

Also when finding out how to reproduce it with Skype I noticed some odd behavior. If Chrome is focused and I hit the Win key the start menu open, but if I hit it again Skype will focus, instead of going back to focus Chrome.

Edit: Apparently doesn't work with Notepad++, WSB, or Steam focused as well.

Edited by PandaX

Can you reproduce this step-by-step? Are there any duplicate shortcuts for those items, like both on desktop and start menu? Do you have a policy to clear recently used programs on exit?

1- I right click on a program in MFU list eg: notepad.exe and choose remove from this list.

2- After some time as I frequently use notepad it appears again.

I don't have duplicate shortcuts .. my desktop is clean I don't put shortcuts in desktop,

Some times I use PC Tools Performance tool kit to clean my cmputer, but I don't clear recently used programs

I don't know If there is apolicy set to clear recently used porgrams on exit, but the list is always there after I restart my pc.

I moved my programs folder from current user directory (C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs)

to all user directory(C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs). So I can create another user account and access all programs at any time should something go wrong.

The current user Programs folder is empty.

I did some search and I found some answers in this thread the answer number 7 by (Antman) seems good.

This is the answer :

To automatically and permanently exclude a program from appearing there:

[start] [Run] [Regedit]

Registry Key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileAssociation\

In the right pane, double click AddRemoveApps

The [Value Data] box contains a list of the default entries

To add a program to the list, type a semicolon followed by the name of the program executable

Example: To add Notepad, the entry would be ;notepad.exe
Add as many programs as you like and click [OK]
Exit Registry and Reboot

Is it applicable to windows 8.1 preview with SIB + RC0?

I did some search and I found some answers in this thread the answer number 7 by (Antman) seems good.

This is the answer :

To automatically and permanently exclude a program from appearing there:

[start] [Run] [Regedit]

Registry Key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileAssociation\

In the right pane, double click AddRemoveApps

The [Value Data] box contains a list of the default entries

To add a program to the list, type a semicolon followed by the name of the program executable

Example: To add Notepad, the entry would be ;notepad.exe

Add as many programs as you like and click [OK]

Exit Registry and Reboot

Is it applicable to windows 8.1 preview with SIB + RC0?

This does not really work since Windows 7. It makes EXEs listed unpinnable, but start menu operates on shortcuts and their AppIDs.

I can't reproduce your issue yet.

PandaX, neither I did reproduce your issue, but i'll have some blind fix for it.

This does not really work since Windows 7. It makes EXEs listed unpinnable, but start menu operates on shortcuts and their AppIDs.

I can't reproduce your issue yet.

Thank you for your reply.

I think I will have to live with it, just one click to remove what I don't like .

Tihiy if u could port it to windows xp

u might increase ur app market :)

I think this is the best way to kill a developer's brain.

why ? how so ?

its not need to be full functional as in windows 8

same basic features would be gr8

there a lot of start menu replacement but Tihiy can make it better

Edited by aviv00