Office 2007 in Windows 2000

AnX

@Dylan Cruz

Yeah, turns out there are missing API functions in shell32.dll when I copied my Movie Maker 2.1 (x86) over from the XP x64 host.

And get this: Office 2007 now poses the same problem as on my ThinkPad T60. And drag-and-drop broke after the extended kernel was installed.  (resolved) This is with VMware Workstation 10.0.1. :wacko: The only extraneous thing I did in the case of Office was replacing riched20.dll, but I think that it wouldn't have installed without it.

And now for some reason, BWC files are getting replaced with win2k SP4 files!!!! I'm going to have to rebuild the testing environment on a ThinkPad T41 because something isn't right in VMware.

Edited by win32

• 3 weeks later...

@win32 I got this comment about running Windows 2000 freely today:

shaking the head Good luck if you ever come in contact with a modern malware that uses EternalBlue or a similar exploit. Then good bye to the whole domain.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EternalBlue

Indeed, no patches have been issued for Win2K, which is a real shame.

Is it safe to apply the XP patches for WannaCry and EternalBlue to Windows 2000?

Or, as long as you don't do certain things, are you safe and immune already on Win2K?

@Dylan Cruz

I haven't tested the XP patch but the EternalBlue exploit relies on Terminal Services, which doesn't exist in Windows 2000 Professional. In Server you should just disable the service.

A WannaCry patch is included in one of the newer extended kernels.

4 minutes ago, win32 said:

@Dylan Cruz

I haven't tested the XP patch but the EternalBlue exploit relies on Terminal Services, which doesn't exist in Windows 2000 Professional. In Server you should just disable the service.

A WannaCry patch is included in one of the newer extended kernels.

@win32 Awesome! Sounds like we can have our cake and eat it, too! A usable and secure OS...

And maintenance costs go down, b/c no more Windows Updates, I suppose...

Thanks for the info. Were you able to get your Win2K working again or are you still on 2003?

I uncovered what seems like a 2000/XP bug today: Currently, bginfo runs as part of the logon script and writes the computer name and username to the desktop. When a user logs out, the desktop background is still there. I didn't notice this on computers that didn't use bginfo since the default blue wallpaper is used for both.

I have the Group Policy to not display the last logged in user enabled, but it doesn't really "work" in the sense that, since the last logged on user's wallpaper is display on the logon screen, one can still tell who was last logged in.

The last user's wallpaper still appears even after a restart, so it's not just some transient thing. How can I disable this behavior - e.g. force the logon screen to always show the plain, vanilla wallpaper and not any user's background?

@Dylan Cruz

My desktop still has a win2k partition, but the laptop will be staying on 2003. 2000 and XP presented too many inexplicable bugs on there.

You really need to make new threads since this is so far removed from MS Office, so someone who knows their way around group policy and domains (which doesn't describe me unfortunately) doesn't have to dig through a seemingly completely unrelated thread to answer your question.

Edited by win32

35 minutes ago, win32 said:

@Dylan Cruz

My desktop still has a win2k partition, but the laptop will be staying on 2003. 2000 and XP presented too many inexplicable bugs on there.

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully I have better luck.

35 minutes ago, win32 said:

You really need to make new threads since this is so far removed from MS Office, so someone who knows their way around group policy and domains (which doesn't describe me unfortunately) doesn't have to dig through a seemingly completely unrelated thread to answer your question.

Sorry, but it's not actually about group policy or domains, it's just the wallpaper issue. bginfo is just a tool used by a lot of organizations for their domains, but anyone can use it.

Do you use the default wallpaper on your 2000/XP/2003? It seems like the bug exists in both.

@Dylan Cruz

Yes, I previously used the default wallpaper in my Server 2003. I tried using bginfo and changed the background to the one it created.

When logging out, it reverted to the default wallpaper. Have you tried the command line switch "/all"? Apparently it configures bginfo for each user on the system, which may prevent the issue you are describing.

4 minutes ago, win32 said:

@Dylan Cruz

Yes, I previously used the default wallpaper in my Server 2003. I tried using bginfo and changed the background to the one it created.

When logging out, it reverted to the default wallpaper. Have you tried the command line switch "/all"? Apparently it configures bginfo for each user on the system, which may prevent the issue you are describing.

bginfo is supposed to be per user. Among other things, I have it display the username.

I actually use a fairly simple bginfo, with just computer name and username. I've also seen MAC address on there before, though I don't know how often these organizations have need of a PC's MAC address that they stick it right on the desktop, but OK.

So, yeah, when I log out, it shows the last logged on username, which is a bit weird.

• 2 weeks later...

@win32So I've not been able to solve the bginfo thing, I guess it's just a bug in Windows that there's no hope for being fixed so might as well live with it.

I recall you said you were looking into Office 2010 on W2K. Do you know if all the programs, except perhaps Outlook, work on W2K?

I notice that in Excel 2007, some of the color scale formatting is off in one of the tables (not applied to all rows in the table). In modern Excel, it looks normal. I can't reapply the color scale in 2007, because I don't see anything. So perhaps this is a bug that doesn't exist in 2010, but I don't know if that will install and run.

Interestingly, MailNews is not as stable on Windows 10, but it runs seamlessly on W2K.

@Dylan Cruz

The installer broke when I removed the service installation from it with Orca. So the only way to even possibly use Office 2010 on Windows 2000 is to install it in another OS, export all reg entries and copy over the installed folders. PowerPoint Viewer 2010 (which is basically PowerPoint 2010, with editing capabilities disabled) running even standalone on Windows 2000 could only be done through a debugger and still crashed a few times when viewing a presentation so I'm not very enthusiastic to begin with.

2 hours ago, win32 said:

@Dylan Cruz

The installer broke when I removed the service installation from it with Orca. So the only way to even possibly use Office 2010 on Windows 2000 is to install it in another OS, export all reg entries and copy over the installed folders. PowerPoint Viewer 2010 (which is basically PowerPoint 2010, with editing capabilities disabled) running even standalone on Windows 2000 could only be done through a debugger and still crashed a few times when viewing a presentation so I'm not very enthusiastic to begin with.

@win32

Yeah, I guess that's too bad.

I just tried running the .exe and this is what I get:

test.bmp

I wish life were good but I still haven't found away around the encryption issue, and now this one spreadsheet which looks good in modern Excel doesn't work properly in Excel 2007, and it's not clear why. It does support the features, it's just color scaling, so I don't know what's up. All very bizarre.

And on top of that, fonts in W2K just aren't what they are in modern Windows. Not sure if it's ClearType or TrueType or font smoothing or what, but all my settings seem to be good and it still looks weird. It makes sans-serif fonts look like serif fonts. However, when I view PDFs, it all look goods.

MailNews works well on W2K, so if Outlook is a no-go, at this point, I would be very happy if I could just get encryption and documents to work. Not to mention full media support, most video and audio formats still don't work. GOM Player works but it's just an awful experience. Wish I could use VLC. GOM Player feels like bloatware and looks horrendous!

I guess you're happy with Server 2003, but some of the W2K stuff can't be reproduced there, like what it all looks like when booting up and what not. It doesn't seem possible to get rid of the Luna theme until you login. Unless disabling Themes does the trick? Can you speak to this? Is it possible to use Windows Classic 100% of the time, even at the logon screen? It's not clear all that much is different in the UI/UX between 2003 and XP.

I know there's Windows inExperience Patcher for XP, but it's rather a mess, not sure if you've used it. The fonts are off, and it only applies per user. Far from perfect. I just love the way the start button looks in W2K, for instance, absolutely perfect, as well as the way "Windows 2000 Professional" looks when you click start. The latter can't be reproduced.

Edited by Dylan Cruz

On 12/17/2019 at 10:43 AM, win32 said:

@Dylan Cruz

Even with NNN4NT5 you were unable to run to successfully run the installer? They are packaged as MSIs, they can also be edited with Orca by dropping the "LaunchCondition" table.

If we execute msiexec.exe with XP Compatible mode option, it may require "Windows2000-KB971913-v3a-x86-INTL.exe"

official Windows Installer v3.1 sometimes stops on XP Compatible mode.

Hi, I can't install Office 2007 on Windows 2000 i tried with fcwin2k and NNN4NT5, neither worked for me.

It appears to me that there was an error in the installation after 20% of the installation and it does not give me code or log, does anyone know why this is due?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=14vRau1xzdIpkTwu0h_fLsbKUenOdaS-h

Edited by WinFX