Office 2007 in Windows 2000

AnX

On 12/11/2019 at 12:55 PM, win32 said:

Back in the day, port scanners would be running all over the place looking for unfirewalled machines to infect. Spam dialogs through the "Messenger" service were also quite common. Even with the decreased popularity of NT5 nowadays, I've had random Saudi IPs try to connect to port 445 (SMB) when on my school network. I haven't had issues at home, probably due to the NAT routers present there.

I'm behind NAT, yeah, so I'm not sure this is much of an issue in that case.

On 12/11/2019 at 12:55 PM, win32 said:

If VB lets you view the files through Windows Explorer, much like VMware's "mount HDD as network drive", then the answer would be obvious.

I think we could have advapi33, but there are some missing dependencies in win2k. There are pointers to it in mso.dll, all Office executables, and rsaenh.dll.

So why not add the missing dependencies? That should be easier than conflicting DLL dependencies, right?

By the way, this is my first post from Windows 2000 on this site. I got it all set up just right and I even have all my email accounts in MailNews, now. Only thing I can't do on W2K at this point is work with encrypted files, and since this is in a VM right now, sometimes there are audio issues after a while until reboot of the VM.

37 minutes ago, Dylan Cruz said:

So why not add the missing dependencies? That should be easier than conflicting DLL dependencies, right?

By the way, this is my first post from Windows 2000 on this site. I got it all set up just right and I even have all my email accounts in MailNews, now. Only thing I can't do on W2K at this point is work with encrypted files, and since this is in a VM right now, sometimes there are audio issues after a while until reboot of the VM.

Believe me, that is really appealing, and I've tried the hex-editing trick en masse to try to run the games that come with Windows 7. But none of the modified W7 DLLs could be hooked and it went nowhere.

You might be interested in this program used to automatically redirect APIs, ExtendAPI:

However, the missing dependencies are in files such as ntdll and kernel32, which could make things difficult (you will temporarily break ntdll and kernel32 if you mess with it using extendapi). We could then add XP's files and keep hex editing and hex editing our way to... who knows.

Edited by win32

On 12/12/2019 at 2:57 PM, win32 said:

Believe me, that is really appealing, and I've tried the hex-editing trick en masse to try to run the games that come with Windows 7. But none of the modified W7 DLLs could be hooked and it went nowhere.

You might be interested in this program used to automatically redirect APIs, ExtendAPI:

However, the missing dependencies are in files such as ntdll and kernel32, which could make things difficult (you will temporarily break ntdll and kernel32 if you mess with it using extendapi). We could then add XP's files and keep hex editing and hex editing our way to... who knows.

So basically you don't recommend doing this? What we're trying to do is sadly unachievable?

@Dylan Cruz

The encryption write process is based on advapi32 calling rsaenh.dll, so I'd start with creating the advapi33 pointer for MSO.dll/Office executables. If that fails due to missing dependencies then you'd try a kernel33 being called by advapi33.

At the same time I can look into any sorcery that could get Publisher and OneNote working better (tomorrow, when I'm back to the hex-core Xeon workstation with its 1.5 TB of storage). And one last crack at Office 2010 now that all that needs to be done is to remove the "Office Software Protection" service installation from the MSI.

I have low expectations though, especially considering that advapi32 covers many more bases than encryption.

Edited by win32

3 hours ago, win32 said:

@Dylan Cruz

The encryption write process is based on advapi32 calling rsaenh.dll, so I'd start with creating the advapi33 pointer for MSO.dll/Office executables. If that fails due to missing dependencies then you'd try a kernel33 being called by advapi33.

So the one referred to by Office will be advapi33 and that will call what? kernel33?

We hex-edited MSO.dll so why would we need a special reference to that?

3 hours ago, win32 said:

At the same time I can look into any sorcery that could get Publisher and OneNote working better (tomorrow, when I'm back to the hex-core Xeon workstation with its 1.5 TB of storage). And one last crack at Office 2010 now that all that needs to be done is to remove the "Office Software Protection" service installation from the MSI.

Oh, cool! That'll be fun to see.

OneNote seems to work for me. I mainly only use it for the screen capture, tool. Short of the Snipping Tool that debuted in Windows Vista, it's the easiest way to take screen shots, since PRINT SCREEN doesn't seem to work in W2K.

3 hours ago, win32 said:

I have low expectations though, especially considering that advapi32 covers many more bases than encryption.

Here's something else that's been bugging me.

Whenever I click on a link, I get this titleless window that opens with this error:

The link itself opens normally. There's no error as far as I can tell, apart from the error dialog! The link opens great in Pale Moon, but I always get this.

I usually click links in MailNews, but interestingly, I just created link in Word and it does not do that...

test.jpg

@Dylan Cruz

The advapi32 from XP has missing dependencies in BWC's kernel32, so it may be possible that we may have to prepare a kernel33 if it uses the missing dependencies for anything Office-related.

I got OneNote stabilized, but I could no longer get images to display in the notebooks in my test Office install. I'll look into it.

User privileges strike again. New Moon/Serpent struggle with this as they are built for XP and rely on its corresponding routines for that. I wonder if it would complain in Office too if it didn't have any hex edits.

Edited by win32

14 minutes ago, win32 said:

@Dylan Cruz

The advapi32 from XP has missing dependencies in BWC's kernel32, so it may be possible that we may have to prepare a kernel33 if it uses the missing dependencies for anything Office-related.

Okay, I admit I don't quite follow but it seems like you know where to go.

How did you figure the advapi thing out? Dependency Walker?

I got OneNote stabilized, but I could no longer get images to display in the notebooks in my test Office install. I'll look into it.

Interesting

User privileges strike again. New Moon/Serpent struggle with this as they are built for XP and rely on its corresponding routines for that. I wonder if it would complain in Office too if it didn't have any hex edits.

A very similar thing just happened in AIM (AOL Instant Messenger).

So it doesn't seem to be just the new stuff. I clicked on a link from AIM and it opened up a similar error and also opened the webpage.

@Dylan Cruz

Yes, I used Dependency Walker.

Opening a local html file gives me a "file not found" error before opening and "Windows Explorer is unable to run the command" with Serpent/New Moon, but not with Internet Explorer.

UPDATE: Well, the same installation source that let me successfully install Office 2007 in a VM and on an Optiplex 745 under win2k keeps failing to do so on a ThinkPad T60, as certain reg keys are not added in (specifically dealing with licensing, which means it will stop working in a few days). Weird, since it works on that problematic machine under XP.

Edited by win32

17 hours ago, win32 said:

@Dylan Cruz

Yes, I used Dependency Walker.

Opening a local html file gives me a "file not found" error before opening and "Windows Explorer is unable to run the command" with Serpent/New Moon, but not with Internet Explorer.

Yeah, that's similar to what happens to me. So weird. I would say it might be the new browsers, but it happens with AIM too, so it must be more general than that.

17 hours ago, win32 said:

UPDATE: Well, the same installation source that let me successfully install Office 2007 in a VM and on an Optiplex 745 under win2k keeps failing to do so on a ThinkPad T60, as certain reg keys are not added in (specifically dealing with licensing, which means it will stop working in a few days). Weird, since it works on that problematic machine under XP.

Something really weird was that I told a friend to follow the same steps as I to set up W2K in a VM so he can use it more, since his actual W2K machine is drastically underpowered (I think it has a Pentium 4 or something like that). For some reason, after using HFSLIP, it would not install, setup just kept restarting and crashing. He had installed vanilla W2K just fine.

I cloned my original OOBE snapshot and sent him the VDI file - that booted and worked just fine, and he's been using that. I wonder why that would have happened, as it was so weird. Can HFSLIP cause install problems?

This happened both when he used the same exact HFSLIP ISO as I had to install, as well as when he compiled using HFSLIP himself locally from a W2K ISO. We both used the same W2K original SP4 ISO, too, so all variables were tightly controlled.

And sound stops working for me after an hour or two until a reboot, which is very annoying, though it must be a VM issue. I suspect I'll have fewer issues once it's on actual hardware.

@Dylan Cruz

Is the browser being opened by AIM, New Moon or Serpent? Only if you were to set IE to be the default would the error not appear.

The wording in the second quote may have been unclear. Windows 2000 installs fine, and it boots 95% of the time as opposed to ~5% for XP (and 100% for 2003), but there are random "unknown hard error" dialogs, the instability of the firewall drivers, and Office 2007 failing to create activation-related reg keys. These issues are specific to the ThinkPad T60, which is known to produce occassional freezes when its battery is dead or removed.

I'm not sure what this is all about. I do know that some virtualizers and emulators (QEMU in particular) have problems with Windows 2000 graphical setup. I spun a new ISO which fixed the setup initialization problems I had in VMware Player awhile back - and that was just SP4. Are you using the same release of the same virtualizer?

Recent versions of VMware have garbled sound with 2000/XP, usually fixed once playing a song in the OS. Sound drivers for real hardware are usually very stable, except for Creative's lack of support for large memory addresses.

I think you should start a new thread for non-Office-related issues.

UPDATE: I returned to my VM, and discovered that even with all my edits, opening encrypted files was failing for me again. Oddly enough, slbcsp.dll was now being called by advapi32 for decryption, and the former was missing a couple API calls. I replaced it with the latest XP version and it didn't help any for it supposedly couldn't be found. I'll have to rebuild my VM once the workstation is upgraded to 2003.

Edited by win32

On 12/15/2019 at 4:28 PM, win32 said:

@Dylan Cruz

Is the browser being opened by AIM, New Moon or Serpent? Only if you were to set IE to be the default would the error not appear.

It opens in New Moon.

As much as I don't hate IE, it's not practical to have anything open in it, since most things won't work. It'd be nice to have it all open in New Moon.

The wording in the second quote may have been unclear. Windows 2000 installs fine, and it boots 95% of the time as opposed to ~5% for XP (and 100% for 2003), but there are random "unknown hard error" dialogs, the instability of the firewall drivers, and Office 2007 failing to create activation-related reg keys. These issues are specific to the ThinkPad T60, which is known to produce occassional freezes when its battery is dead or removed.

What do you mean activation-related reg keys?

I have a volume copy so perhaps that doesn't apply to me.

On a related note, will the XP Movie Maker work in W2K, or only the ME version? I've only been able to get the ME version to work. If it's good enough though, I guess it's alright.

I'm not sure what this is all about. I do know that some virtualizers and emulators (QEMU in particular) have problems with Windows 2000 graphical setup. I spun a new ISO which fixed the setup initialization problems I had in VMware Player awhile back - and that was just SP4. Are you using the same release of the same virtualizer?

I'm using Virtual Box.

Recent versions of VMware have garbled sound with 2000/XP, usually fixed once playing a song in the OS. Sound drivers for real hardware are usually very stable, except for Creative's lack of support for large memory addresses.

I considered using HyperV, but it's probable I'll need to run Unix-type stuff in Virtual Box some time in the future on here so it's not worth it.

Soon I'll have a separate PC for W2K so it won't matter. Audio just doesn't work very well in VMs at all.

I think you should start a new thread for non-Office-related issues.

Sorry about that. My main issue still is the encryption, although I've not had much time to look more into it.

That and audio is preventing me from using it for everything, but that's about it. W2K is really as good/better than it's cooked up to be.

Also, yesterday (the 15th) was Windows 2000's 20th birthday! We were celebrating over here...

UPDATE: I returned to my VM, and discovered that even with all my edits, opening encrypted files was failing for me again. Oddly enough, slbcsp.dll was now being called by advapi32 for decryption, and the former was missing a couple API calls. I replaced it with the latest XP version and it didn't help any for it supposedly couldn't be found. I'll have to rebuild my VM once the workstation is upgraded to 2003.

So you're not going to have 2000 as your main OS, just Server 2003?

Considering there are three server variants of W2K and just one Windows Server 2003, I'm tempted to try out the different W2K servers at some point. Probably at least to set up a domain for all my W2K machines.

Edited by Dylan Cruz

56 minutes ago, Dylan Cruz said:

What do you mean activation-related reg keys?

I have a volume copy so perhaps that doesn't apply to me.

On a related note, will the XP Movie Maker work in W2K, or only the ME version? I've only been able to get the ME version to work. If it's good enough though, I guess it's alright.

Also, yesterday (the 15th) was Windows 2000's 20th birthday! We were celebrating over here...

Considering there are three server variants of W2K and just one Windows Server 2003, I'm tempted to try out the different W2K servers at some point. Probably at least to set up a domain for all my W2K machines.

I am also using a VL edition, which of course uses reg keys to store its licensing details.

Movie Maker 2.6 has been demonstrated as working with KDW (predecessor to extended kernel) by BWC. I can't remember if I got it to work with the extended kernel.

That was just RTM. I consider its real birth to be on the day of general availability.

There are many variants of Server 2003: Web Edition, Standard, Enterprise, Datacenter, Home Server, SBS, XP Pro x64 etc.

Given that BWC's extended core can break the hardware limits of the lesser servers, and the higher ones seem to offer not much more than clustering support, I think the base win2k server should suffice.

2 minutes ago, win32 said:

I am also using a VL edition, which of course uses reg keys to store its licensing details.

Movie Maker 2.6 has been demonstrated as working with KDW (predecessor to extended kernel) by BWC. I can't remember if I got it to work with the extended kernel.

I tried installing 2.6 and 2.1 but they both said they required Vista or threw some other error. Same with 1.1 I think. The one from ME ran fine.

That was just RTM. I consider its real birth to be on the day of general availability.

Well, nothing wrong with 2 birthdays, I suppose. We'll celebrate Windows 2000's 2nd 20th birthday on the 17th of the 2nd month of 2020.

There are many variants of Server 2003: Web Edition, Standard, Enterprise, Datacenter, Home Server, SBS, XP Pro x64 etc.

Given that BWC's extended core can break the hardware limits of the lesser servers, and the higher ones seem to offer not much more than clustering support, I think the base win2k server should suffice.

I don't think BWC would be necessary on a server anyways. You wouldn't be installing Office or web browsers on there anyways, so there's no reason to modify the kernel.