Office 2007 in Windows 2000

AnX

@Dylan Cruz

I get the constant reappearing login window.

But I did use dependency walker to look at the decryption process. WWLIB.DLL calls MSO.DLL (in Program Files/Common Files/Microsoft Shared/OFFICE12), which in turn calls CRYPT32.DLL which then calls advapi32.dll. That's at the start of the process. The rest of it is detailed in this dependency walker file who anyone who is interested. But I think the part I described is the most important.

This routine seems to be shared by most of MS Office, but maybe not Outlook.

worddecrpytionprocess.7z

6 minutes ago, win32 said:

@Dylan Cruz

I get the constant reappearing login window.

But I did use dependency walker to look at the decryption process. WWLIB.DLL calls MSO.DLL (in Program Files/Common Files/Microsoft Shared/OFFICE12), which in turn calls CRYPT32.DLL which then calls advapi32.dll. That's at the start of the process. The rest of it is detailed in this dependency walker file who anyone who is interested. But I think the part I described is the most important.

This routine seems to be shared by most of MS Office, but maybe not Outlook.

I tried patching out more references to crypt32, but there's so many of them!

And if crypt32 were eliminated from outlook.exe's dependencies, is it guaranteed to work?

I don't think it makes sense to change the default crypt32, because Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Publisher, etc. will all rely on those for encryption. Fixing Outlook seems more doable.

6 minutes ago, win32 said:

@Dylan Cruz

Oddly enough, even the changing of pointer to crypt33.dll in MSO.DLL doesn't change much for an Office 2007-encrypted file; as rsaenh.dll still calls crypt32.

So I decided to just replace rsaenh.dll, schannel.dll, dssenh.dll. After that, mso.dll called crypt33.dll to successfully open the Word 2016 encrypted file, whilst outlook called the original crypt32.dll and connected to Yandex.

Edited by win32

Just now, win32 said:

@Dylan Cruz

Oddly enough, even the changing of pointer to crypt33.dll in MSO.DLL doesn't change much for an Office 2007-encrypted file; as rsaenh.dll still calls crypt32.

So I decided to just replace rsaenh.dll, schannel.dll, dssenh.dll. After that, mso.dll called crypt33.dll to open the Word 2016 encrypted file, whilst outlook called the original crypt32.dll and connected to Yandex.

Wait, so the solution is simply replace the other 3 files we replaced with the original BWC ones?

And then change MSO.DLL's ref to crypt32 to crypt33? No changes in outlook.exe, or any other DLLs necessary??

@Dylan Cruz

This is the working procedure:

1. rename the crypt32.dll from the XP update to crypt33.dll and copy to system32.

2. Use Replacer to replace BWC's rsaenh.dll, schannel.dll and dssenh.dll with the one from the other XP hotfix.

3. hex edit MSO.DLL to point to crypt33.dll instead of crypt32.

So BWC's crypt32 stays, but XP's is copied under a different name, and the three other BWC files are replaced.

This outcome satisfies Word and Outlook at the same time. No need to modify any Outlook files.

11 minutes ago, win32 said:

@Dylan Cruz

1. rename the crypt32.dll from the XP update to crypt33.dll and copy to system32.

2. Use Replacer to replace BWC's rsaenh.dll, schannel.dll and dssenh.dll with the one from the other XP hotfix.

Speaking of which, where IS MSO.DLL? Dependency Walker once warned me it couldn't find it (see my last screenshot).

which folder is it in?

11 minutes ago, win32 said:

So BWC's crypt32 stays, but XP's is copied under a different name, and the three other BWC files are replaced.

This outcome satisfies Word and Outlook at the same time. No need to modify any Outlook files.

41 minutes ago, win32 said:

@Dylan Cruz

Did all this, when I test my settings, I get the The server you are connected to is using a security certificate that cannot be verified...

A certificate chain processed correctly, but terminated in a root certificate which is not trusted by the trust provider.

Do you want to continue using this server?

I click Yes twice and the tests pass. Next->Finish.

And then my mailbox loads!!!! Yes, it works!!! I'll have to test more of Outlook's nuances, but I will update the guide. I guess we can have our cake and eat it, too!

Thanks again @win32 - really looking forward to using W2K as my primary OS now.

UPDATE: In the time it took me to write this response, I went back to Outlook and it had crashed. Ah, I supposed that's to be expected, though.

I do get the certificate error every time I open Outlook 2007. A very similar error happened every time I opened Outlook 2003 on vanilla W2K, but that happened twice for every single account. This happens only once, though I only have one account connected at this time. Any way to permanently disable the warning?

If not, it's not the end of the world - as long as it doesn't do it once per account/server.

UPDATE 2: I relaunched Outlook and tried to open an email, and then it crashed again. But I did it again and it didn't crash, so I guess it's not consistent.

Edited by Dylan Cruz

@Dylan Cruz

Install the latest root certificate update (July 2019) from blackwingcat's Windows Legacy Update (http://www.w2k.flxsrv.org/wlu/wluen.htm)

I did find consistency to the crashes; they happen when attempting to open an unread email for me. I marked them all as read and the crashes stopped.

Edited by win32

3 minutes ago, win32 said:

@Dylan Cruz

Install the latest root certificate update (July 2019) from blackwingcat's Windows Legacy Update (http://www.w2k.flxsrv.org/wlu/wluen.htm)

Uh, what do I click, exactly? It's all in Japanese.

Usually, there's a translate option, but not this time, and there's no English really.

20 minutes ago, win32 said:

@Dylan Cruz

Click "Manual Update" on the left sidebar, then several English search fields will come up.

OK, found it and install, looks like it worked!

I didn't realize the roots update files were continually being released. I applied the roots update from 2017 and that allowed my Chromium 54 to work with HTTPS once I rebooted. I didn't need to reboot for Outlook to stop warning me, though. Interesting.

Complete guide should now be fully up to date: https://w2k.phreaknet.org/guide/

I don't think anything has been left out.

Just out of curiosity, when you go to Tools -> Account Settings, what do you see?

I don't see my mail account listed there. I haven't, this whole time we've been testing.

I thought it was something weird, but I think it's more like the Office activation think where I had to replaced riched20 dll for that to work right. You can see that something is highlighted, but there's no text. If you click Change, then the email account settings come up.

Not a big issue, since there's no need to access this on a day to day basis, but I can imagine it might be confusing once I put 10 accounts in here and they all show up as invisible!

Edited by Dylan Cruz