Office 2007 in Windows 2000

AnX

@Dylan Cruz

Oh yes, I forgot to mention that I replaced crypt32.dll with the latest one from POSReady. You'll have to do that when the OS is not booted though.

EDIT: Oh wait, it was more than that. Other files from the aformentioned SHA256 POSReady update as well.

dssenh.dll

rsaenh.dll

schannel.dll

The last three files can be extracted from KB3081320 for POSReady 2009 from the Windows Update Catalog (using /extract switch at CMD); will look up the origin of crypt32.dll (5.131.2600.6459)

update: turns out crypt32.dll can be obtained from KB2868626.

Edited by win32

6 hours ago, win32 said:

@Dylan Cruz

Oh yes, I forgot to mention that I replaced crypt32.dll with the latest one from POSReady. You'll have to do that when the OS is not booted though.

@win32When the OS is not booted??? Is there a simple way to do that, or does this involve shenanigans with Ubunutu or something?

I know the Windows 7 install disc had a repair mode that gave a command prompt, but I don't know if W2K had that. I think it has a repair mode, but I don't think it gives cmd.exe access, does it?

EDIT: Oh wait, it was more than that. Other files from the aformentioned SHA256 POSReady update as well.

dssenh.dll

rsaenh.dll

schannel.dll

The last three files can be extracted from KB3081320 for POSReady 2009 from the Windows Update Catalog (using /extract switch at CMD); will look up the origin of crypt32.dll (5.131.2600.6459)

update: turns out crypt32.dll can be obtained from KB2868626.

Okay, so these are the two downloads I found. One of them is not for POSReady though. I only found the XP one. Where is that one from?

Security Update for WEPOS and POSReady 2009 (KB3081320)    Windows XP Embedded    Security Updates    11/9/2015    n/a    719 KB

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB3081320

Security Update for Windows XP (KB2868626)    Windows XP    Security Updates    11/11/2013    n/a    754 KB

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB2868626

Also, we finally found some software called the "GOM Player" that can play MP4s and MKVs. It seemed super sketchy, but I guess it's legit. It's rather ugly, and super slow to open, and sort of like VLC, but not nearly as good. But I guess it works, sort of. I couldn't get it to play one 11GB MP4 video in particular, which modern VLC plays instantly on newer Windows, but I guess perhaps that's just because of the size of the file? It played smaller MP4s and MKVs fine. AVIs worked, too.

Also, apparently there are reports of recent GOM Players installing malware and adware. This was version 2.1, so I don't know when it was introduced (version 2.0 supposedly runs on Windows 9x).

So that's sort of fixed, not the ideal solution, but I guess I could still use VLC for music and AVIs, even though I'd rather use WMP for music and VLC for videos.

Edited by Dylan Cruz

@Dylan Cruz

Any kind of Linux Live CD would be fit for purpose. But there's also something called "Replacer" (http://www3.telus.net/_/replacer/) that will allow you to replace the files from within Windows. Replace all four using this method then reboot.

The regular XP update is just as valid for purpose as the POSReady one.

Have you tried reinstalling WMP 9?

Edited by win32

6 minutes ago, win32 said:

@Dylan Cruz

Any kind of Linux Live CD would be fit for purpose. But there's also something called "Replacer" (http://www3.telus.net/_/replacer/) that will allow you to replace the files from within Windows. Replace all four using this method then reboot.

The regular XP update is just as valid for purpose as the POSReady one.

OK, I used 7Zip to extract the two exe files and I just see a bunch of ._p files. None of them has the desired name. Which ones are the right ones?

@Dylan Cruz

You don't use 7zip to extract those files. You run them the update files at the command prompt with the /extract switch. A window will pop up asking where to put the files, and then the applicable files will appear in the "SP3QFE" folder contained within the one you created.

20 minutes ago, win32 said:

@Dylan Cruz

You don't use 7zip to extract those files. You run them the update files at the command prompt with the /extract switch. A window will pop up asking where to put the files, and then the applicable files will appear in the "SP3QFE" folder contained within the one you created.

I used Replacer to replace the first file, and then it told be to Reboot, but after that, when I reopen the cmd to do the next one, it just says Data extraction failed.

So I rebooted, and the same thing happens. It seems it only works for one file? And I'm not actually sure if it worked, even.

EDIT: One needs to delete the original Replacer and copy it back again. Script can't be reused. Only one reboot is required then.

And it works! I can now open my encrypted Word document! Thank you so much! I will be updating the guide with the additional instructions.

Edited by Dylan Cruz

@Dylan Cruz

Have you checked the file in system32 if its attributes match up with the one from XP? It has worked for me, but I've only used it to replace individual files at a time (I didn't use this method to replace the files in my VM last night though)

But once you've rebooted, are you able to replace another file?

4 minutes ago, win32 said:

@Dylan Cruz

Have you checked the file in system32 if its attributes match up with the one from XP? It has worked for me, but I've only used it to replace individual files at a time (I didn't use this method to replace the files in my VM last night though)

But once you've rebooted, are you able to replace another file?

I rebooted once, but then I figured if I used a fresh Replacer, I could copy over a fresh one each time and do all 3 and then reboot. So 4 reboots are not required, just 1 in theory.

I've updated my guide with all the steps now: https://w2k.phreaknet.org/guide/

I think it should be complete. I will now take a closer look at Outlook 2007, now that I believe all the other issues are fixed. Encryption is fixed, Chromium HTTPS is fixed. VLC is not fixed, but with GOM I can play MKV and most MP4 files, so it's fixed I guess, though not in the way I would have liked. And Outlook 2007 is basically working so far, so everything has been going smoothly, more or less.

13 hours ago, Dylan Cruz said:

@win2k

Good news!

I picked up the nerve to finally open Outlook 2007.

Surprisingly, it works! I sent a message, and purportedly that was the thing that didn't work, but I sent a message to myself and received it, and it came in my other Outlook client as well. Haven't thoroughly tested everything yet nor different mail accounts, but so far, things are looking bright.

Only caveat is in ten minutes Outlook 2007 managed to crash maybe four times, but even on XP modded to Windows 2002, with Outlook 2010, that was crashing quite a bit, so I guess a bit of crashing is a small price to pay for it otherwise working.

@win32 OK, so maybe I spoke too soon. Something weird has happened.

Today, I opened up Outlook 2007, and I was prompted for my password. And re-prompted.

Finally, I wiped the profile and started over. I can setup my account and it sends a test email successfully, but then it keeps prompting me again.

This did NOT happen yesterday. I wonder if in the process of fixing encryption, I broke something in Outlook? This is very bizarre.

This is with gmail, I haven't tried other servers yet.

Anyways, as of now, I just either re-enter my password a million times or keep clicking Cancel, and now my mail doesn't get downloaded! But it was all working yesterday! This is unbelievable.

Any thoughts? A similar thing happens in Outlook 2010 on XP when I try signing in to Microsoft Exchange. But if I connect as IMAP, it works.

So I wouldn't expect MSFT Exchange to work in Outlook 2007, but this is a Gmail IMAP connection.

**EDIT**:

To fully test things out more, I created a NEW account (a new Windows account, called test). I just created it as a Standard/Power user.

When I open the account wizard and finally click More details, all of a sudden, I get:

ERROR

The file CRYPT32.dll is incompatible with Microsoft Office Outlook. Install Outlook again.

Zoinks!

On the bright side, I just tried uninstalling Office 2007. First, it said "This program requires a newer version of Windows to run". I ran NNN4NT5, then ran it again and it successfully uninstalled. I rebooted and it's completely gone, even the service pack!

So Office 2007 *can* uninstall, even in Windows 2000. Although I'd rather it come to terms with CRYPT32.dll than uninstall successfully...

Edited by Dylan Cruz

@Dylan Cruz

If it can't come to grips with our new crypt32.dll, I've got a new radical plan.

Try hex editing outlook.exe (or whatever the execuatable is called) and replacing any pointers to crypt32.dll with crypt33.dll, Then take BWC's crypt32.dll, rename it to crypt33.dll, and copy it into system32.

If outlook.exe does not have any references to crypt32.dll, it may be in one of the main program DLLs.

Edited by win32

1 hour ago, win32 said:

@Dylan Cruz

If it can't come to grips with our new crypt32.dll, I've got a new radical plan.

Try hex editing outlook.exe (or whatever the execuatable is called) and replacing any pointers to crypt32.dll with crypt33.dll, Then take BWC's crypt32.dll, rename it to crypt33.dll, and copy it into system32.

If outlook.exe does not have any references to crypt32.dll, it may be in one of the main program DLLs.

Sorry for all the dumb questions, but I've never used a hex editor. Which one do you recommend and how exactly do I do this? Won't I just see hex?

Also, we know that Word clearly requires the new crypt32 as would PPT and Excel in order to open encrypted files. So a common reference can't be replaced, only Outlook's.

EDIT: OK, I've just used HxD portable. There was 1 reference to crypt32 in outlook.exe

I changed it to crypt33. Outlook starts, but I don't notice any changes. It's the same as before.

FWIW, there are no references to crypt32 in winword.exe (and there was one in outlook.exe). This suggestions perhaps a common reference, which could get tricky.

Just to be sure, I rebooted and logged into the other account (test):

This time, it lets me click More Settings. When I try Test connection, I see this new dialog: The server you are connected to is using a security certificate that cannot be verified. Do you want to continue using this server?

I click Yes, then I get the same password dialog again. Still doesn't work, just prompts again, so I click Cancel.

Test failed: Your server does not support the connection encryption type you have specified. Try changing the encryption method...

And so again, it fails.

Other thoughts? Looking at the Office12 files, it's not apparent what files might contain relevant information.

I tried modified a few more DLLs starting with OUTL in that directory. When I did this, I ended up back where I started: CRYPT32 not compatible! Despite changing *more* references to crypt33!

Here is what I get when I used dependency walker - it seems Outlook is using both crypt32 and crypt33, and there's a file missing?

Also, since I'm new to Dependency Walker, how would I check what exactly is calling the crypt32? I tried a bunch of DLLs and I've replaced them all or there are no matches.

Also, when I try this with winword, through all its dependencies I don't get to crypt32. So it's not clear how winword depends on it.

And, was I supposed to update a checksum manually for outlook.exe? Does it matter?

Capture.PNG

Edited by Dylan Cruz

@Dylan Cruz

outlook.exe is not calling crypt32.dll, but credui.dll is. The mso.dll thing isn't very important though. There are several other DLLs that serve its purpose.

So I copied credui.dll, renamed it credu1.dll, changed crypt32 reference to crypt33, then changed Outlook's reference to credui to credu1. It's a system file as opposed to an Outlook library so doing otherwise could break Word encryption again.

OR, we just keep everything as-is, and only have word refer to crypt33 (which would be the "new" crypt32). Outlook and all other software could continue to refer to BWC's files without hex editing or stubs.

Or not, because I got IMAP sign-in working (Yandex) with credu1.dll.

Edited by win32

19 minutes ago, win32 said:

@Dylan Cruz

outlook.exe is not calling crypt32.dll, but credui.dll is. The mso.dll thing isn't very important though. There are several other DLLs that serve its purpose.

So I copied credui.dll, renamed it credu1.dll, changed crypt32 reference to crypt33, then changed Outlook's reference to credui to credu1. It's a system file as opposed to an Outlook library so doing otherwise could break Word encryption again.

OR, we just keep everything as-is, and only have word refer to crypt33 (which would be the "new" crypt32). Outlook and all other software could continue to refer to BWC's files without hex editing or stubs.

But word doesn't refer to crypt32 at all, right?

Also, Excel files can be encrypted too, and PPT also I think

Or not, because I got IMAP sign-in working (Yandex) with credu1.dll.

I'm a bit confused. Which DLLs need to be modified? Just outlook's credui to credui1 and then credui1's crypt32 to crypt33?

Edited by Dylan Cruz

Just now, win32 said:

@Dylan Cruz

I thought the configuration had worked, but apparently not. :(

What happened?

Just now, win32 said:

And winword.exe doesn't refer to crypt32.dll either.

Yeah, that's what I discovered using dependency walker.

Any thoughts on how we might figure this out?