Office 2007 in Windows 2000

AnX

11 minutes ago, win32 said:

@Dylan Cruz

I found a possible solution for WSUS. In the "cmd" folder, open DoUpdate.cmd in notepad then find and delete the following lines:

rem *** Check Operating System ***
if "%OS_NAME%"=="" goto UnsupOS
if "%OS_NAME%"=="w2k" goto UnsupOS
for %%i in (x86 x64) do (if /i "%OS_ARCH%"=="%%i" goto ValidArch)
goto UnsupArch
:ValidArch

Never heard of that Chromium version, but I'd be quite shocked that it can't do HTTPS.

Really? I wasn't terribly surprised, I knew it would have SSL errors but didn't imagine it was that bad. Even real Chrome 49 on real XP has SSL issues, but not this bad, I don't think.

Anyways, here's the output now:

Starting WSUS Offline Update (v. 9.2.5) at 21:51:27.34...
Checking user's privileges...
Determining system's properties...
Found Microsoft Windows version: 5.0.2195.0 (w2k x86 enu sp4)
Found Microsoft Office 2007 Word version: 12.0.6612.1000 (o2k7 enu sp3)
Checking medium content...
Medium build date: 12/06/2019
Medium does not support Microsoft Windows (w2k x86 enu).
Medium supports Microsoft Office (ofc enu).
Checking Windows Service Pack version...

ERROR: Environment variable OS_SP_TARGET_ID not set.

Ending WSUS Offline Update at 21:51:32.17...

J:\wsusoffline925\wsusoffline\client\cmd>

What's weird is in cmd, it says 5.1.2600, because I ended up reapplying NNN4NT5 in order to install some software. However, this script still found 5.0.2195.0 somewhere.

New Moon will give you that 2000s browser look for sure.

Just extracted them using 7-Zip, so I'll try that next.

A little bit all over the place, but I guess right now I am trying to figure out:

- Office encryption problems

- Haven't tried Outlook yet, but will soon

- Web browsers, Chromium SSL/HTTPS issues

- Media players (codecs missing?)

I feel like I'm forgetting something else, too, but that's already a good amount.

Also, when I try running actual Chrome setup, I get "Your version of Windows is not supported", after a while. But I guess that's why Chromium4WIN2K exists!

Edited by Dylan Cruz

@Dylan Cruz

Yeah, the visualizations in WMP9 do work for me. They should only not work with MIDI/RMI files.

And try removing this from DoUpdate.cmd

:NoSPTargetId
echo.
echo ERROR: Environment variable OS_SP_TARGET_ID not set.
echo %DATE% %TIME% - Error: Environment variable OS_SP_TARGET_ID not set>>%UPDATE_LOGFILE%
echo.
goto Cleanup

7 minutes ago, win32 said:

@Dylan Cruz

Yeah, the visualizations in WMP9 do work for me. They should only not work with MIDI/RMI files.

And try removing this from DoUpdate.cmd

:NoSPTargetId
echo.
echo ERROR: Environment variable OS_SP_TARGET_ID not set.
echo %DATE% %TIME% - Error: Environment variable OS_SP_TARGET_ID not set>>%UPDATE_LOGFILE%
echo.
goto Cleanup

Just opened up New Moon and Serpent. No install, just a folder like with the Pale Moon 26.5 port for W2K. I suppose if an "installer" is needed, once could use Group Policy and run once to copy the folder from a network share into My Documents upon logon, and then create a shortcut on the desktop. Not something I need right now, but I can't think of another way to do an all user setup.

I have nothing but good things to say! They work perfectly! They both play YouTube videos (as does even FF ESR 52.9). I didn't do a thorough test drive, but I went to the one site that didn't work in Pale Moon 26.5 and it works in New Moon 28! Super excited! Now I can exclusively use that!

I will keep the Serpent download, but probably not use it. It looks just like the FF ESR 52.9. Actually, one thing is when Serpent is not maximized, the menu bar buttons go slightly off the top of the window. A small bug. New Moon users a different interface so there are no issues. Looks just like Pale Moon.

No real reason to use Chrome anyways, so I guess I don't care about the HTTPS issues. Having Chromium is helpful though for testing local web pages.

Anyways, I can check browsers off my list. Between IE6, Chromium 53, FF ESR 52.9, New Moon 28, and Serpent 52, I already have enough good browsers. I've heard of K-Meleon, but my understand is that's more of a lightweight browser, not a heavy duty, fully fledged one like these.

Just curious: why do you prefer Serpent 52 to New Moon 28? Wondering if I'm missing or forgoing something here...

@Dylan Cruz

I honestly don't know why, but I end up using New Moon often as well.

For the codec issue, have you tried a reinstall of WMP 9? Since it seems broken enough for visualizations to be completely borked, you may as well do that.

@win32 OK, with that modification, this is the script output:

Starting WSUS Offline Update (v. 9.2.5) at 22:09:59.83...
The system cannot find the batch label specified - NoSPTargetId

4 minutes ago, win32 said:

@Dylan Cruz

Then remove this line as well:

if "%OS_SP_TARGET_ID%"=="" goto NoSPTargetId

OK, now I get this:

I'm saving the modified script, in case this actually works:

Starting WSUS Offline Update (v. 9.2.5) at 22:45:55.38...
Warning: Update kbECHO is off. not found.
Warning: Windows Service Pack installation file (kb) not found.
Checking Windows Update Agent version...
Installing most recent Windows Update Agent...
Verifying integrity of ..\wsus\WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe...
hashdeep.exe: Audit passed
Installing ..\wsus\WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe...
Checking Windows Installer version...
'InstallMSI' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
'InstallMSI' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
Checking Windows Script Host version...
'InstallWSH' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
'InstallWSH' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
Checking Internet Explorer version...
'InstallIE' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
'InstallIE' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
Checking Windows Defender installation state...
Checking Office Service Pack versions...
Checking state of service 'Windows Update'...
Verifying integrity of Windows Update catalog file...
hashdeep.exe: Audit passed
22:46:34.17 - Listing ids of missing updates (please be patient, this will take
a while)...
22:46:38.87 - Done.
Listing ids of installed updates...
Listing update files...
Checking Microsoft Security Essentials installation state...

Installation successful. Please reboot your system now.

Ending WSUS Offline Update at 22:49:35.86...

22 minutes ago, win32 said:

@Dylan Cruz

Then remove this line as well:

if "%OS_SP_TARGET_ID%"=="" goto NoSPTargetId

OK, it was successful, and rebooted, but still didn't solve the encryption issue...

Any other thoughts?

I just opened a complex XLSX file with lots of conditional formatting and formulas, and it works fine. So with the exception of Outlook, which I haven't tried yet, most other major things seem to be working.

Also, Chromium works with HTTPS now. I had to reboot just now and I guess that did something.

Edited by Dylan Cruz

@win2k

Good news!

I picked up the nerve to finally open Outlook 2007.

Surprisingly, it works! I sent a message, and purportedly that was the thing that didn't work, but I sent a message to myself and received it, and it came in my other Outlook client as well. Haven't thoroughly tested everything yet nor different mail accounts, but so far, things are looking bright.

Only caveat is in ten minutes Outlook 2007 managed to crash maybe four times, but even on XP modded to Windows 2002, with Outlook 2010, that was crashing quite a bit, so I guess a bit of crashing is a small price to pay for it otherwise working.

@Dylan Cruz

Nice! Are the crashes random or are they occurring when a certain action is performed?

Anyway, I tried the encrypted Word 2016 (AES-256 + CBC) document in Word 2007 SP3 on XP and it opened there. But an encrypted Word 2007 SP3 document created on XP opened in 2000 as well.

I briefly thought that the issues may lie at the OS level after all; AES-256 support was added to XP through POS update KB3081320. But HFSLIP/BWC's have already incorporated the applicable versions of the files into win2k, and WPS works fine with them.

M$ software being M$ software...

Luckily WPS Office 2016 easily coexists with Office 2007. I've needed it to display a "super-modern" PPT file that 2007 couldn't, but bear in mind WPS has no support for Office 95 files and has issues with 97-2003 ones.

Just now, win32 said:

@Dylan Cruz

Nice! Are the crashes random or are they occurring when a certain action is performed?

Seems rather random. Seemed that way with Outlook 2010, too. I'll probably know more once I used it more.

I guess by random, it would always be in the middle of something. It doesn't crash when it's just idle, but rather when I'm clicking on something or trying to do something.

Just now, win32 said:

Anyway, I tried the encrypted Word 2016 (AES-256 + CBC) document in Word 2007 SP3 on XP and it opened there. But an encrypted Word 2007 SP3 document created on XP opened in 2000 as well.

Did the Word 2016 encrypted one open in 2000 as well?

By the way, by encryption, I mean password protecting the document. I guess there are different forms of encryption in Word.

Just now, win32 said:

I briefly thought that the issues may lie at the OS level after all; AES-256 support was added to XP through POS update KB3081320. But HFSLIP/BWC's have already incorporated the applicable versions of the files into win2k, and WPS works fine with them.

M$ software being M$ software...

Luckily WPS Office 2016 easily coexists with Office 2007. I've needed it to display a "super-modern" PPT file that 2007 couldn't, but bear in mind WPS has no support for Office 95 files and has issues with 97-2003 ones.

Yeah, I need to use Word 2007. This Word document uses a lot of advanced Word formatting. It wouldn't even open in Word 2003, it would get all screwed up.

1 minute ago, win32 said:

@Dylan Cruz

Unfortunately it didn't open in 2000 with Word 2007. As your document is using more modern Word features, it may fare better in WPS.

That just doesn't make sense to me. It says SP3 is sufficient to open these files and it used to work, I feel like.

This one particular, I use all of Word's niche features, so WPS would certainly screw it up, just like Word 2003.