Office 2007 in Windows 2000

AnX

7 minutes ago, win32 said:

Use fcwin2k on every Office application executable so they think they're on XP.

What do you mean by this exactly? Is this something I do post-install?

I opened Windows Update and somehow was able to get rid of that dialog (clicking OK didn't do anything) and I was able to type some. It says Calibri up top but it types in Times New Roman. Do the new fonts not come with Office 2007, meaning I need to install them myself?

Compared to getting Office to work, that should be a cinch, but wondering if that's a glitch or something else.

Also, when I use FCWIN2K to patch the winword.exe file in the Office12 directory and do the same steps, it opens up again and I see the same dialog. FCWIN2K seems to have no effect.

Edited by Dylan Cruz

Same instructions, but just replace "setup.exe" with the office executables.

The font thing is also odd. It should come with calibri. Have you done a search for calibri.ttf in \WINNT\Fonts? Do other fonts work?

And the msvcr90.dll thing can be solved by replacing riched20.dll, as was explained earlier in this convo.

Edited by win32

3 minutes ago, win32 said:

Same instructions, but just replace "setup.exe" with the office executables.

Yup, that's what I did and it didn't work

The font thing is also odd. It should come with calibri. Have you done a search for calibri.ttf in \WINNT\Fonts?

Weird. It's there, and now it works. Not complaining, but it wasn't rendering the first few times.

Maybe I had to go to the folder and double click the font file. However, Cambria also works now, and it didn't before. I guess navigating to the Fonts directory fixed the issue.

Word *seems* usable. I haven't tried Outlook yet, guessing it's going to be a nightmare trying to get it to work, if it can at all. However, FCWIN2K doesn't seem to prevent the incompatible error. I don't notice any other issues, other than the error dialog. If only I could stop its "immune response"!

I only tried WINWORD.exe, are there are other exe files that need to be patched? Obviously each program, but I'm just trying Word right now

And thanks so much for your help so far! I would never have been able to get this far w/o your help. Sorry I keep asking for more help, but I've been tingling ever since learning this might be possible, and would love so much for it to work out, because then I could actually use W2K forever and not have to use XP.

Edited by Dylan Cruz

13 minutes ago, win32 said:

No, just the main executable for each program.

Well I've patched Word and regardless of whether I do RUN COMPAT or open from the Start Menu it's the same thing.

It seems when I open any office component (I also tried Picture Manager) I get the dialog, hit OK, get it again, hit OK again, it lags for a bit, and then after a minute it's gone and I can use the application normally... until I close it and start it up again.

If Word is already open and I open it again, I don't experience any issues. But I can't keep it running all the time like that.

Do I need to use the AppCompat bat file or just FCWIN2K?

Also related, winword seems to keep disappearing from FCWIN2K after a little bit, and I keep re-adding it. However, even when it's currently in the table, Word doesn't work right.

Also, is it OK to install SP3 for O2K7? This guy did it: 

though I'm not sure how it turned out for him. 

Also, oddly enough, I can neither Change nor Remove O2K7 from Control Panel. Seems like an oversight on Microsoft's behalf... they never thought people would install things they weren't "supposed" to?

Edited by Dylan Cruz

Yeah, I did install SP3 with no ill effects.

But yes, I was unable to uninstall Office 2007. Not even RipOutOffice2007 worked! Though there is a manual removal guide:

http://web.archive.org/web/20090717095827/https://support.microsoft.com/kb/928218

You may want to use NNN4NT5 so the whole system thinks it's XP, as I described earlier. The only reason why you'd need to change it back to 2000 after that would be to install MS OS components destined for Windows 2000.

Edited by win32

4 minutes ago, win32 said:

Yeah, I did install SP3 with no ill effects.

OK, I will do that then.

But yes, I was unable to uninstall Office 2007. Not even RipOutOffice2007 worked! Though there is a manual removal guide:

http://web.archive.org/web/20090717095827/https://support.microsoft.com/kb/928218

Nah, I won't bother. This is in a VM right now, so if I wanted to test Office 2010, I would go back to a snapshot and fork that and try that.

Have you tried/had any success with 2010?

The only reason I would go with that is it's probably a bit more refined and Outlook 2010 in particular has some nicer edges, particularly with Conversation View and folder layout. I haven't used Outlook 2007 in about 6 year though, and back then it wasn't connected to an email account, so I still have to see how well email works. Certainly much better than Outlook 2003, if it works.

You may want to use NNN4NT5 so the whole system thinks it's XP, as I described earlier. The only reason why you'd need to change it back to 2000 after that would be to install MS OS components destined for Windows 2000.

I'm not sure I want to do that, I like the system thinking it's W2K, since it is. For instance, when you open cmd.exe and it says "Windows 2000 Professional". I wouldn't want to see XP there.

What other OS components might I want to install? Aren't they all already included out of the box?

Also, now that I have KernelEx, what is the newest version of Chrome/Firefox available? I found 12 on vanilla W2K for Firefox, 26.5 for Pale Moon, and Chrome not possible at all.

Chrome 49 is the newest for XP but the video I watched had him only at Chrome 31. Could you clarify this?

Also, specifically with regards to Chrome: how to install? It seems they have an online installer and no way to actually download a particular Chrome, so it seems it would be difficult to actually install Chrome.

IE 6 is "usable" but CSS and HTTPS basically don't work.

2 minutes ago, Dylan Cruz said:

OK, I will do that then.

Nah, I won't bother. This is in a VM right now, so if I wanted to test Office 2010, I would go back to a snapshot and fork that and try that.

Have you tried/had any success with 2010?

The only reason I would go with that is it's probably a bit more refined and Outlook 2010 in particular has some nicer edges, particularly with Conversation View and folder layout. I haven't used Outlook 2007 in about 6 year though, and back then it wasn't connected to an email account, so I still have to see how well email works. Certainly much better than Outlook 2003, if it works.

I'm not sure I want to do that, I like the system thinking it's W2K, since it is. For instance, when you open cmd.exe and it says "Windows 2000 Professional". I wouldn't want to see XP there.

What other OS components might I want to install? Aren't they all already included out of the box?

Also, now that I have KernelEx, what is the newest version of Chrome/Firefox available? I found 12 on vanilla W2K for Firefox, 26.5 for Pale Moon, and Chrome not possible at all.

Chrome 49 is the newest for XP but the video I watched had him only at Chrome 31. Could you clarify this?

Also, specifically with regards to Chrome: how to install? It seems they have an online installer and no way to actually download a particular Chrome, so it seems it would be difficult to actually install Chrome.

IE 6 is "usable" but CSS and HTTPS basically don't work.

I've done 2010, documented it in another thread a couple months ago. Installation of the full suite failed due to inability to start the "Office Software Protection Service", but I got PowerPoint Viewer 2010 running somewhat stable in a debugger.

The only visible change will be "5.01.2600 Service Pack 3" under Windows 2000 in the System control panel applet. CMD will stay the same (actually BWC replaced it with XP's, so the copyright date is now 2001 instead of 1999). Don't knock the XP components though - the Device Manager in our win2k is actually the one from XP SP2 which makes it easier to see hardware IDs. You could always change it back when you're not using Office.

I was thinking of blackwingcat's packages for stuff like .NET 3/4, VC++ 2017 etc. That stuff isn't intended for XP or newer.

The newest Chromium browser is 360 Extreme Explorer (Chromium 69). It still has some issues with extensions and you may want to go for the Russian repack instead of the official Chinese version. But Advanced Chrome 54 works too.

For firefox-based browsers, check out @roytam1's work (and @i430VX's installer). It works very well, extensions and all.

Serpent 52 is my main browser.

I've done 2010, documented it in another thread a couple months ago. Installation of the full suite failed due to inability to start the "Office Software Protection Service", but I got PowerPoint Viewer 2010 running somewhat stable in a debugger.

OK, well thanks, you spared me the trouble. Sounds like it's not fully functional, so I'll stick with 2007 then.

The only visible change will be "5.01.2600 Service Pack 3" under Windows 2000 in the System control panel applet. CMD will stay the same (actually BWC replaced it with XP's, so the copyright date is now 2001 instead of 1999).

Didn't notice that until now! I knew it was 1999 but when I opened up cmd.exe that didn't even catch my eye until you pointed it out.

Don't knock the XP components though - the Device Manager in our win2k is actually the one from XP SP2 which makes it easier to see hardware IDs. You could always change it back when you're not using Office.

Interesting. I thought KernelEx just replaced DLLs and stuff, not actually parts of the OS. But I guess it replaces things such that only an astute onlooker would notice it was changed. Very nice!

When you say not using Office, you mean temporarily or permanently?

I'll keep what BWC changed as is, because I don't inherently hate the XP components, just the whole XP package itself.

I was thinking of blackwingcat's packages for stuff like .NET 3/4, VC++ 2017 etc. That stuff isn't intended for XP or newer.

The newest Chromium browser is 360 Extreme Explorer (Chromium 69). It still has some issues with extensions and you may want to go for the Russian repack instead of the official Chinese version. But Advanced Chrome 54 works too.

I've heard of that, but I'm not interested in these as they sound rather sketchy. Also look weird.

For firefox-based browsers, check out @roytam1's work (and @i430VX's installer). It works very well, extensions and all.

Serpent 52 is my main browser.

Thanks, I'll check that out.

I still want to install the latest possible official Chrome (or at least Chromium) and Firefox, however outdated they are. Just my personal preference.

I've been using Pale Moon 26.5 on W2K up until now, but 26.5 is the newest supported on XP too so I'm not going to be upgrading that. The one I had was one hacked specifically for 2K though.

I'll give Serpent 52 a look (53 and newer don't work?) and maybe use that and Pale Moon. I like the older Firefox interface though compared to what Serpent 52 and newer Firefoxes seem to use. It just doesn't look right on W2K... that's why the Pale Moon browser is nice, because it looks so much more dated.

So do you know about the official Chrome/Firefox builds?

Also, I have restarted my system numerous times now and the error dialogs still appear 2x every time. I just opened FCWIN2K and now it looks a lot smaller, suddenly the text and window are both tiny. I tried re-doing it again just now but it's still the same. You don't get the error dialogs on your W2K, correct? And all you had to use was FCWIN2K? Weird.

2 hours ago, Dylan Cruz said:

When you say not using Office, you mean temporarily or permanently?

I still want to install the latest possible official Chrome (or at least Chromium) and Firefox, however outdated they are. Just my personal preference.

I've been using Pale Moon 26.5 on W2K up until now, but 26.5 is the newest supported on XP too so I'm not going to be upgrading that. The one I had was one hacked specifically for 2K though.

I'll give Serpent 52 a look (53 and newer don't work?) and maybe use that and Pale Moon. I like the older Firefox interface though compared to what Serpent 52 and newer Firefoxes seem to use. It just doesn't look right on W2K... that's why the Pale Moon browser is nice, because it looks so much more dated.

So do you know about the official Chrome/Firefox builds?

Also, I have restarted my system numerous times now and the error dialogs still appear 2x every time. I just opened FCWIN2K and now it looks a lot smaller, suddenly the text and window are both tiny. I tried re-doing it again just now but it's still the same. You don't get the error dialogs on your W2K, correct? And all you had to use was FCWIN2K? Weird.

Yeah, it can be temporary. The change in OS identifier is instant and quite simple.

Chrome 49 is definitely workable. Firefox 52.9 ESR as well, though you'll have to find a workaround to deal with the extension signature validation issue.

Serpent 52 is the newest version and is updated weekly. There's also a Serpent 55 but it's rarely updated and different branch. should work though. And roytam1 also releases New Moon 28.x.x on the same weekly schedule, which is a fork of Pale Moon.

And I just booted into my win2k VM with Office 2007. Even with no fcwin2k entries and the OS identifying as good ol' 5.00.2195 SP4, Office apps opened without issue. weird.

Edited by win32

11 hours ago, win32 said:

Yeah, it can be temporary. The change in OS identifier is instant and quite simple.

OK, maybe I'll give it a go if I can't get Office working any other way.

Chrome 49 is definitely workable. Firefox 52.9 ESR as well, though you'll have to find a workaround to deal with the extension signature validation issue.

Any idea where to download either of these? Chrome 49 is impossible to find, not surprisingly. Firefox claims they offer ESR downloads, but I only see version 68.

Actually, found it here: http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/52.9.0esr/win32/en-US/

Serpent 52 is the newest version and is updated weekly. There's also a Serpent 55 but it's rarely updated and different branch. should work though. And roytam1 also releases New Moon 28.x.x on the same weekly schedule, which is a fork of Pale Moon.

Does Serpent 52 only have the new Australis interface? Or because it's a custom build, is there an option to change this?

https://www.xpforums.com/threads/serpent-web-browser.933889/

Does Serpent 52 roughly correspond with FF 52.9 ESR or is it above FF 52.9 in terms of updates/functionality?

What would be the advantage of using New Moon over Pale Moon?

The only shortcomings of PM 26.5 seemed to be that one specific site didn't work right and YouTube could not play videos. Does either Serpent 52 or New Moon 28 work with video playback on W2K?

Also, do any of these have installers? How would one install this for all users, rather than just the current user?

Finally, all of roytam1's browsers say for XP, not 2000. I'm skeptical of which ones will work, even with BWC KernelEx. Will New Moon 28+ and IceWeasel all work?

I downloaded the latest browsers from the palemoon and basilisk folders here: http://o.rths.ml/

And I just booted into my win2k VM with Office 2007. Even with no fcwin2k entries and the OS identifying as good ol' 5.00.2195 SP4, Office apps opened without issue. weird.

Very weird. I'm getting there, but your W2K is just way better than mine, I guess!

Once I figure it all out, I'm going to document all the steps. It's way too length and complicated to remember for the future.

Also, curiously, what *is* the difference between the 2000 and XP cmd.exe's? They seem the same to me.

Also, I thought .NET 2 is the latest for W2K?

Edited by Dylan Cruz

45 minutes ago, Dylan Cruz said:

OK, maybe I'll give it a go if I can't get Office working any other way.

Any idea where to download either of these? Chrome 49 is impossible to find, not surprisingly. Firefox claims they offer ESR downloads, but I only see version 68.

Actually, found it here: http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/52.9.0esr/win32/en-US/

Does Serpent 52 only have the new Australis interface? Or because it's a custom build, is there an option to change this?

https://www.xpforums.com/threads/serpent-web-browser.933889/

Does Serpent 52 roughly correspond with FF 52.9 ESR or is it above FF 52.9 in terms of updates/functionality?

What would be the advantage of using New Moon over Pale Moon?

The only shortcomings of PM 26.5 seemed to be that one specific site didn't work right and YouTube could not play videos. Does either Serpent 52 or New Moon 28 work with video playback on W2K?

Also, do any of these have installers? How would one install this for all users, rather than just the current user?

Finally, all of roytam1's browsers say for XP, not 2000. I'm skeptical of which ones will work, even with BWC KernelEx. Will New Moon 28+ and IceWeasel all work?

I downloaded the latest browsers from the palemoon and basilisk folders here: http://o.rths.ml/

Very weird. I'm getting there, but your W2K is just way better than mine, I guess!

Once I figure it all out, I'm going to document all the steps. It's way too length and complicated to remember for the future.

Also, curiously, what *is* the difference between the 2000 and XP cmd.exe's? They seem the same to me.

Also, I thought .NET 2 is the latest for W2K?

I'm not sure where to get Chrome 49, but yes Serpent 52 only offers the same Australis interface as Firefox 52. In terms of updates it actually corresponds to the official Moonchild product for Win7+, Basilisk 52, which is still updated regularly so it's far past 52 ESR.

New Moon is again, much more advanced than the last official Pale Moon release for XP (extended win2000). Both New Moon 28 and Serpent 52 do video playback on YouTube and most other sites very well.

They all use the same installer. As I (kinda) said before, check out i430VX's signature for a direct link to it. They will definitely work with the extended kernel; I have Serpent 52 and New Moon 28 open on my win2k system as I type. I'm not sure how it deals with limited user privileges though, as I only run as admin.

I thought Iceweasel was a rebranding of Firefox for Debian. But if it's XP compatible, chances are it will work with the extended kernel.

cmd.exe from XP may have a few more commands in its interpreter, but I'm not exactly sure of the differences.

Yes, the last official .NET is 2.0 SP2. But BWC made ports of 3.x and 4. They take forever to install so only install those if really necessary.

2 hours ago, win32 said:

I'm not sure where to get Chrome 49, but yes Serpent 52 only offers the same Australis interface as Firefox 52.

Gotcha, but New Moon retains the same basic pre-Australis interface of Pale Moon I'm assuming?

I'm going to give them all a go momentarily, starting with New Moon and going to Serpent if needed (is one more capable than the other?), but I want to figure the Office stuff out first in case I need to restore back or do something weird.

In terms of updates it actually corresponds to the official Moonchild product for Win7+, Basilisk 52, which is still updated regularly so it's far past 52 ESR.

New Moon is again, much more advanced than the last official Pale Moon release for XP (extended win2000). Both New Moon 28 and Serpent 52 do video playback on YouTube and most other sites very well.

They all use the same installer. As I (kinda) said before, check out i430VX's signature for a direct link to it. They will definitely work with the extended kernel; I have Serpent 52 and New Moon 28 open on my win2k system as I type. I'm not sure how it deals with limited user privileges though, as I only run as admin.

I thought Iceweasel was a rebranding of Firefox for Debian. But if it's XP compatible, chances are it will work with the extended kernel.

I think you're right, but on some XP site I came across Iceweasel. I was trying to find some sources on these various browsers and they were pretty much all MSFN or roytam1's website.

cmd.exe from XP may have a few more commands in its interpreter, but I'm not exactly sure of the differences.

Yes, the last official .NET is 2.0 SP2. But BWC made ports of 3.x and 4. They take forever to install so only install those if really necessary.

OK, I won't, then.

I just used NN..45T or whatever to patch my user environment variable. It actually shows up in quite a few replaces. When I open cmd, it now says Windows NT 5.1, although it still says Windows 2000. Ditto for winver. Not a big deal, obviously. If it means programs work more smoothly, then so be it.

I opened up Word, and I didn't get the "This program requires a newer version of Windows" dialog, so this is a step forward. Instead, I got the far messier "The dynamic link library MSVCR90.dll" could not be found in the specified path: C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\MICROS~1\OFFICE12\OFFICE~1; C:\WINNT\system32;C:\WINNT\system;C:\WINNT;C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12;C:\WINNT\system32;C:\WINNT;C:\WINNT\System32Wbem

Not sure why the first path is a DOS format path like in command.com, but that's the message. Window says "DDE Server Window: SETUP.EXE - Unable To Locate DLL". Not sure what this is all about? Is it fixable/have you ever encountered it?

After clicking "OK" about 15 times, I finally get the Enter your product key window. I suspect THIS is what those multiple dialogs were about, as I haven't seen this until now. I'm still unable to type in my product key - I have one for this that I've used on XP, but it literally won't let me type in the product key! I can't click in the window - it's as if it were all an image instead of a form field.

How did you activate your version of Office 2007? It says I can only use it 9 more times, probably because I've already fired it up 31. I have the key, I just need to put it in. I'm not sure if this is something I could manually use REGEDIT for... I'd be surprised if product keys were just stored as plain text in the registry, but I might be wrong.

Edited by Dylan Cruz

1 hour ago, Dylan Cruz said:

Gotcha, but New Moon retains the same basic pre-Australis interface of Pale Moon I'm assuming?

I opened up Word, and I didn't get the "This program requires a newer version of Windows" dialog, so this is a step forward. Instead, I got the far messier "The dynamic link library MSVCR90.dll" could not be found in the specified path: C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\MICROS~1\OFFICE12\OFFICE~1; C:\WINNT\system32;C:\WINNT\system;C:\WINNT;C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12;C:\WINNT\system32;C:\WINNT;C:\WINNT\System32Wbem

Not sure why the first path is a DOS format path like in command.com, but that's the message. Window says "DDE Server Window: SETUP.EXE - Unable To Locate DLL". Not sure what this is all about? Is it fixable/have you ever encountered it?

After clicking "OK" about 15 times, I finally get the Enter your product key window. I suspect THIS is what those multiple dialogs were about, as I haven't seen this until now. I'm still unable to type in my product key - I have one for this that I've used on XP, but it literally won't let me type in the product key! I can't click in the window - it's as if it were all an image instead of a form field.

Yeah, New Moon's UI is the same as Pale Moon.

That msvcr90.dll dialog can be fixed by replacing riched20.dll in system32 with the one from your Windows 2000 ISO (which will appear there as riched20.dl_; extract with 7zip). I think that should help you with your product key situation, given that riched20.dll is the backbone of the OS' Rich Text Format engine. That's used to display EULAs in Windows installers, so I wouldn't be surprised if it had something to do with product keys as well.

I've never seen the "DDE Server" window though. It's probably linked to the riched20.dll/msvcr90.dll issues.

Edited by win32

28 minutes ago, win32 said:

Yeah, New Moon's UI is the same as Pale Moon.

That msvcr90.dll dialog can be fixed by replacing riched20.dll in system32 with the one from your Windows 2000 ISO. I think that should help you with your product key situation, given that riched20.dll is the backbone of the OS' Rich Text Format engine. That's used to display EULAs in Windows installers, so I wouldn't be surprised if it had something to do with product keys as well.

Uh, as soon as I did that, this dialog popped up that said:

Windows File Protection

Files that are required for Windows to run properly have been replaced by unrecognized versions. To maintain system stability, Windows must restore the original version of these files.

Insert your Service Pack 4 CD now.

Uh, thanks Microsoft, but no thanks.

The options are "Retry", "More Information", and "Cancel".

Thankfully, I could click cancel. Not like Windows 10, where the only options are "OK" and "OK!"

Good news! This did it! I can now type in the dialog.

I activated Office and proceeded to open a file (no barriers when opening Word, it's awesome!)

I happened to choose an encrypted file and got this:

You might receive this message if you attempt to open an encrypted document that was created with releases beginning with the 2007 Microsoft Office suite Service Pack 2. Installing the latest service pack will allow the document to be opened in most cases.
If you have installed the latest service pack and still cannot open the file, this document has been encrypted using an encryption type not installed on this computer. To open this document, a matching cryptographic service provider must be installed on your computer, even if you typed the correct password.
If installing the latest service pack does not resolve the problem, try one of the following:
Contact the author of the document, determine the encryption type used to encrypt the document, and then install the matching provider on this computer.
Contact the author of the document, and then request that the encryption type be changed to one available on this computer.
Request a copy of the document that has not been encrypted. This is not a recommended alternative.

Considering I DO have SP3, this makes no sense. It says the encryption type is not available. More encryption types are available using the High Encryption Pack (C:\...\Content.MSO\AE2CFA84.docx)

Any ideas on how to fix this, either getting the High Encryption Pack or, more mysteriously, why it somehow thinks I don't have SP3 when I do have SP3?

Also, in Control Panel, the Change/Remove button for SP3 is not clickable.

This isn't the end of the world, because I suppose I could re-encrypt the file, but I'd rather fix the actual issue since this is not my only encrypted file.

What's mysterious is this Word document dates back to 2012, and it was created using Office 2007. Probably with SP3, but I have SP3, so...

I've never seen the "DDE Server" window though. It's probably linked to the riched20.dll/msvcr90.dll issues.

Yup, I think it was...

On another note of weirdness:

I just installed the RDP client for W2K. It wouldn't install because it thought it was already installed, so I changed the variable back to 2000 SP4 and then it worked. Just to see, I opened up Word, then Excel - they work just fine now, even though it doesn't think it's XP anymore. I guess that's how yours is set up, so it's not as strange as it might be otherwise.

Edited by Dylan Cruz