IPB Update July 2013 (to version 3.4.5) - SUGGESTIONS Only

xper

For the "friends online" widget at the top, is it possible to change the background color of the number bubble? It being red makes me think there's a problem, like I got a PM or there is a report. Maybe it can be green or something?

Is there a way to have hyperlinked text show up in blue in the final post, like before? (Without having to tweak it manually and every time, that is.) Or maybe some color that offers greater contrast to the default text color? Right now, it shows up on my screen in black, the same color as regular text (maybe a wee bit stronger, but hard to tell the difference without looking closely at it). Thus, without hovering over it it's hard to tell at a glance whether this or this is a link.

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA

Is there a way to have hyperlinked text show up in blue in the final post, like before? (Without having to tweak it manually and every time, that is.) Or maybe some color that offers greater contrast to the default text color? Right now, it shows up on my screen in black, the same color as regular text (maybe a wee bit stronger, but hard to tell the difference without looking closely at it). Thus, without hovering over it it's hard to tell at a glance whether this or this is a link.

--JorgeA

It looks like this for me:

cJBcICD.png

Are you using a non-default theme?

--JorgeA

It looks like this for me:

cJBcICD.png

Are you using a non-default theme?

A non-default theme? I didn't even know that I could change it! :)

So I guess that the answer is -- no, I'm using whatever the default is. FWIW, that's on IE8.

--JorgeA

It would be nice if unread posts in a thread were marked as such somehow. While the "take me to the first unread post" link in front of a thread name works 99% of the time, it would still be nice to have a visual indicator inside a thread.

Regarding the issue of the coloring of hyperlinks, I made a screenshot of a post that includes how it looks both in the reply box and in the preview pane. If it comes out for you the way I see it on my screen, you'll see that the hyperlinked text in the reply box has good contrast (blue hyperlink vs. black text), but then it reverts to black in the preview pane and is difficult to tell apart from the regular text around it:

post-287775-0-60431000-1375024119_thumb.

The factors that save the situation in this case are that the hyperlinked text is in bold in a different typeface and larger point size. Still, the screenshot illustrates the issue of blue vs. black for hyperlinks. If the linked text were in the middle of a paragraph and matching the format of the surrounding text, it would be awfully difficult to know that it's a hyperlink rather than merely underlined text, and so the reader wouldn't necessarily know that it's clickable.

What can be done about this, either at the user (my) end or at the programming end?

--JorgeA

• 3 weeks later...

Can we remove the user profile link in the topic notification emails? I'm always clicking on the **** thing instead of the link to the thread. It's all the way on top making it an easy target unless you take time to think about it.

such and such (http://www.msfn.org/board/user/126926-blah/) has just posted a reply to a topic that you have subscribed to titled "such and such"

Edited by -X-

• 2 weeks later...

Can we please get 3 or 5 minutes before a post shows as edited? I'll settle for 1 minute! No? 30 seconds? I hate that nasty edited thing. :)

Everyone makes typos and grammar errors.

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Please consider changing the default choice in the second drop-down box in;
http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?app=members&module=online&sort_order=desc
to be "Show Registered Only", not "Show All Users".
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
A desire to see what Registered members or friends are online can be satisfied by viewing the
Registered members listed at the bottom of;
http://www.msfn.org/board/
This desire can also be satisfied by clicking the "show full list" link and viewing;
http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?app=members&module=online&sort_order=desc
although you are delayed by having to change the default choices in the 'Sort by' Drop-down menu's.
Specifically,
[A.] change the choice in the first drop-down menu box from 'Last Click' to 'Member Name' and then click
'Update' (= thereby registered members are automatically listed first, then followed by Guests),
OR
[b.] change the choice in the second drop-down menu box from "Show All Users" to "Show Registered Only"
and then click 'Update' (= thereby Guests not shown at all).
A point to be made is that having "Show All Users" as the default choice in [b.] above is of
questionable value.
The default of "Show All Users" will give a first page almost certainly only listing 'Guest's' - with
(Registered) members listed anywhere in the following pages (of say around '60 following pages'!).
(I assume that "Show All Users", when sorted with the default of "Last Click" was intended to convey an
indication of what topic the majority of all users were viewing at any instant... reasonable for a website Board
with few users visiting and a limited number of forums with limited topics.)
For MSFN however, with many forums and 1000's of topics, the default listing of "Show All Users"
is of no great value. (Possibly it could be of some value to some user if that user were running a script
to download all, say, ~60 pages and collate what the majority of users were viewing at some snapshot in
time, or collectively over some time period.)
I would suggest it would be more useful to Registered members to have the default choice in [b.] above to
be 'Show Registered Only" - therefore satisfying the desire of seeing only which 'Registered members'
and/or 'Friends und Staff' are Online WITH THE USEFUL ADDED BONUS of no delay to see
what topic they are
currently viewing/posting in.
(Suggestion a low priority to be sure.... slip into the pile somewhere...)

Much later EDIT;

@xper

http://community.invisionpower.com/topic/354983-suggestion-exclude-guests-from-online-user-list/#entry2219660

Edited by buyerninety

• 3 weeks later...

Before the Forum change, it used to be possible, in a long thread, to go to a specific page in the thread by typing the page number in a box.

That functionality seems to have disappeared? If it still exists, please point me toward it. If it no longer exists, please consider bringing it back -- if you're in a long thread and wish to look for something that appeared some 30 pages ago (and for the sake of argument, let's say that you're looking for an image or that you don't remember enough details to perform a useful Search), now it involves a lot more clicking to get there.

--JorgeA

UPDATE: Thanks to a certain Forum Member (thank you), I have learned that you can click on where it says "Page X of YY" and then select the exact page number desired. But unless you happen to run the mouse cursor over it, there is nothing on the screen to suggest that this text is anything but regular, unclickable black text. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would benefit from having some visual cue that that's actually a clickable link.

Edited by JorgeA

In the Forum Rules webpage;

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/18408-forum-rules-updated-must-read/

under this heading;

"5. Images in signatures"...etc.,

is seen this incorrect statement;

"Members with slow connection can disable other members' signatures when reading posts by going to: My Control - Options - Board Settings."

Suggest substituting the following statement so new Members are provided with the current apparent hierachy of directories;

"Members with slow connection can disable other members' signatures when reading posts by going to: Forums/Your Username/My Settings/'Ignore' Preferences.

(Whereupon the Member would see and check the box next to "Ignore all signatures when reading topics and personal messages".)

-

Note 1; Although the displayed text in the UserLinks bar actually reads 'My Control Panel - Settings - 'Ignore' Preferences , that hierachy of directories shown in the Userlinks bar should not be quoted, as it is likely to cause the Member to look initially for a link titled 'My Control Panel'; no such link is visible (not until the member is already within the following link, 'Settings')... therefore quoting the hierachy of directories shown in the Userlinks bar' would act only to probably confuse the Member... until the Member figured out that naming conventions in IPB Board are not consistent... (Nod to jaclaz, here).

Note 2; I would further suggest that using "Your Username/My Settings/'Ignore' Preferences" is more likely to be quickly

understood by a new Member than using "Your Username - My Settings - 'Ignore' Preferences", slashes being a more

commonly seen way of representing an apparent hierachy of directories - unsure why hyphens were the preferred method

of the IPB 'forum rules' template drafters...

Note 3; Including 'Forums' as the first mentioned directory in the hierarchy helps to avoid the situation where the new Member

clicks on his Username ANYWHERE ELSE in the board (e.g. in Posts or [number] current users online), which merely transfers

the member to his 'Overview' page...

Edited by buyerninety

In the Forum Rules webpage;

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/18408-forum-rules-updated-must-read/

under this heading;

"5. Images in signatures"...etc.,

is seen this incorrect statement;

"Members with slow connection can disable other members' signatures when reading posts by going to: My Control - Options - Board Settings."

Suggest substituting the following statement so new Members are provided with the current apparent hierachy of directories;

"Members with slow connection can disable other members' signatures when reading posts by going to: Forums/Your Username/My Settings/'Ignore' Preferences.

(Whereupon the Member would see and check the box next to "Ignore all signatures when reading topics and personal messages".)

Will see to getting it changed.

• xper unpinned this topic