IPB Update July 2013 (to version 3.4.5) - BUGS Only

xper

Ditto on the thanks to @buyerninety for all the behind-the-scenes help he's given, too.

Today I got notifications for the Windows 8 Deeper Impressions thread and one other thread, so things keep looking better and better!

--JorgeA

This is weird. I received several email notifications yesterday (see post 120), but did not get the latest one for JorgeA's post #121, last night.

Can someone please do a test post below so I can confirm one way or another?

Than you...

Worked! Thank you K.

I'm such an id***. I am so sorry. I actually did get JorgeA's email notification. For some reason, I missed it. My apologies...

All is working well for me again.

Edited by mitchsc

• 3 weeks later...

My primary complaint about the IPB 3.4.5 update is that all forums content no longer properly "word wraps" in my small LCD display and now extends far beyond the right edge, making it extremely aggravating and difficult to view and navigate MSFN. As a result, I no longer browse and read MSFN much anymore.

The previous versions of IPB all "word wrapped" properly. Is there some setting to restore this proper operation again? My web browser is Opera 12.02. Thanks!

Hopefully this has not been previously discussed. I quickly skimmed through some earlier posts but did not read all 125 posts.

At the moment you can "fix" the problem yourself by using custom CSS to modify the MSFN layout and disable the max-width settings. This way the site will shrink according to the size of your browser window.

@Prozactive, if an earlier version of IPBoard allowed you to view forum content on your small LCD

display with word wrapping, can't you try similar to what tomasz86 is suggesting, by retrieving a forum

webpage you saved earlier, then also downloading that same webpage now to a different directory,

then (offline) try substituting the earlier saved CSS and JS files into the newer different directory

version of the webpage, to ascertain if any particular earlier CSS or JS file enables the word wrap of

the newer webpage content?

[Hopefully you saved the earlier version as FILE - SAVE PAGE AS - WEB PAGE COMPLETE (and

previously having saved the earlier webpage using 'show both parts' i.e.; ' .htm & _files ' parts)]

If above wasn't successful, then you could try exactly what tomasz86 suggested, as simply outlined

by poster Joseph_sw in this thread;

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/158862-facebook-on-w98-solved/#entry1017383

It may be helpful to other users viewing this thread later, if you could state what device / OS ver /

resolution in pixels you are using...

Edited by buyerninety

At the moment you can "fix" the problem yourself by using custom CSS to modify the MSFN layout and disable the max-width settings. This way the site will shrink according to the size of your browser window.

OK, but... how do you then feed the custom CSS to your browser? With proxomitron?

OK, but... how do you then feed the custom CSS to your browser? With proxomitron?

The easiest method would be to use Stylish (it's and addon available for Chrome, Firefox, and Opera). In case of Opera (12.x or older) you can also use the built-in User CSS settings :)

I personally use Stylish with Firefox on my desktop but the built-in User CSS in Opera is very cool as it's available in Opera Mobile too (the classic version), and I don't think any other mobile browser offers such a function.

Edited by tomasz86

Many thanks for the replies and advice. It sounds much more complicated than I was hoping. I've never used User CSS before, and I'm not familiar with CSS either. It's extremely aggravating why this is now needed after the IPB update. Yet another example of "new and NOT improved"...

Prozactive;

Without full information it is difficult to nut problems out. Therefore, I can

only further suggest as a somewhat quick(er) & dirty test, the following:

Save as described in post #129, the webpage whose link is given.

Then open in a text editor the file INDEX.CSS (located now of course in;

Facebook on W98 -SOLVED- - Windows 9x _ ME - MSFN Forum_files )

Then search for '980' (there's only one instance), and

Substitute '600' in its place, and

Save the changed INDEX.CSS file.

Temporairily disable internet access and clear browsing History, and

See if, in Opera, viewed offline, your saved file;

Facebook on W98 -SOLVED- - Windows 9x _ ME - MSFN Forum.htm

has a change in the horizontal scroll bar for the viewable text content.

Cheers

Edited by buyerninety

@buyerninety:

I appreciate your replies and advice but I fail to see how it helps resolve this problem. Specific advice about creating and implementing the referenced custom CSS style sheet to disable the max-width parameter would be much more helpful. As I said, I'm not familiar with CSS and how it's implemented in formatting and viewing MSFN webpages.

@Prozactive, I think that buyerninety's suggestion was meant as a test. If it worked for you, then a custom CSS style sheet should as well. If it doesn't then your issue is something else and there will be no need for you to learn how to implement the custom CSS. At least that was the way I interpreted his last post.

Cheers and Regards