IPB Update July 2013 (to version 3.4.5) - BUGS Only

xper

Ref post #104;

OK, I've learnt how it looks, (and that Tiger cubs can swim and Julius Caesar invaded Britain in 54 & 55 BC...)

"I'm 99% sure it's unrelated to ad blocking."

OK, maybe some things t Try blocking these URL's;

http://themes.googleusercontent.com/static/fonts/lato/v6/9k-RPmcnxYEPm8CNFsH2gg.woff

http://themes.googleusercontent.com/static/fonts/lato/v6/wkfQbvfT_02e2IWO3yYueQ.woff

AND again , here's another vote for the ability to delete posts within 5 minutes...

(Thanks for the Double Post delete.)

Edited by buyerninety

Tripredacus: I'm sorry, but how do I unsubscribe/resubscribe to a topic? Can't seem to figure that out.

At the top right of a topic, there is a "group of people" with a number and a button. It either will say "Follow this topic" or "Unfollow topic"

Tripredacus: I'm sorry, but how do I unsubscribe/resubscribe to a topic? Can't seem to figure that out.

buyerninety: Still need to get back to you with requested info. Got sidetracked with some HDD issues.

I'm not Tripredacus :) but if you scroll rto the top of the thread page and find the thread title, you can then look at the other end of the line where the title is. There, you should find a box that says "Unfollow this topic," with some stars in gray below it. click in the box and it will change to "Follow this topic." (Yes, there are no visual cues to suggest that it's a clickable item.)

--JorgeA

P.S. He just beat me to the punch!

Edited by JorgeA

Bug when viewing in GMail. The unsubscribe link is unclicable because it's too long and wraps. Perhaps put it on the first part on 1 line and add a page break.

See image...

FEDsgVE.png

Regarding not getting email notifications of posts:

Thank you both for the "Unfollow This Topic" location. Of course it was right there. I guess I was looking for the term: "unsubscribe". :}

I unfollowed the topic > signed out > closed MSFN forum > reopened forum > signed in > clicked "Follow This Topic" (reply instantly) > signed out.

So now I wait...

Hi all. It's been a week since I tried the suggestions to get my email notifications working. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to test and see if they are now working again because there haven't been any more posts since my last one just above (#110),

Can someone please post a comment, so I can see if my email notifications are working?

Thanks so much...

Hi all. It's been a week since I tried the suggestions to get my email notifications working. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to test and see if they are now working again because there haven't been any more posts since my last one just above (#110),

Can someone please post a comment, so I can see if my email notifications are working?

Thanks so much...

Here goes a test post. I, too, would like to get my notifications back, so I have an interest in the situation.

--JorgeA

[more a grimace than a grin]...mitchsc, that's why I suggested to you for your testing;

"...it has to be a topic that is certain to have several posts in it within a couple of days"

The 'New Contents' listings have topics e.g.;

t_unread.png Aero Glass for Win8.1 RTM Beta 4

that are running hot ATM... remember you don't have to post in it, you are interested in

whether (other persons' posts as a) (Daily) Digest are being promulgated to your email.

As I related to somebody else recently, perhaps it might be useful to also carry out a

confirmatory check during their testing, along the lines of;

..."So if you have checked all above,

Then in;

http://www.msfn.org/...a=notifications

no tick for Auto follow topics I reply to. Notification frequency

and
make sure there are ticks in;

Notification method to use for replies to followed topics both Msg and Email

Notification method to use for followed topics daily/weekly digests Msg and Email

Notification method to use for followed forums daily/weekly digests Msg and Email

Notify me when someone quotes my posts (and I'm not already following) both Msg and Email

Notify me when I receive a new personal conversation both Msg and Email
Notify me of replies to my personal conversations both Msg and Email
Don't forget to click Save Changes at that webpages bottom."

"Then go to;"...[your selected topic webpage]...

"At that topic top, click Follow This Topic and

Select Notification Type Daily and

no tick for Follow Anonymously then

click Save Settings in that box."...

..."Then go to;

http://www.msfn.org/...tentType=topics

Look for and confirm"...[your selected topic]..."is there, and then at list top,

click Toggle Edit Options and confirm 'Send a Daily Digest' is seen under that topic.

(No need to tick a topic box and click Update Selected unless wrong notification is shown.)

(You could also confirm other topics/forums you have daily/weekly digests set in, are shown to

have the applicable daily or weekly under their topic/forum name.)

(If nothing happens when you click Toggle Edit Options {except maybe a slight screen scroll} you

probably have some kind of AdBlocker/Script Stopper interferring)" with your click

..."and you should get a Daily Digest,

if you stay offline from MSFN for a period we'll figure out"...[~Day+]

Further down the testing track, If no (Daily) Digest is in your email inbox, xper will probably check

if a Digest was generated and sent to your email address, & check the IPB Email Error Log.

Cheers

EDIT; I've noticed with the FF24 browser I use that about half the time I sign-out, the sign-out

doesn't work, and a few times I can't get it to work at all. Usually I religiously untick the 'Remember

Me' box before signing -in - but who can be 100% certain they have never left it unticked, (from

its default of 'ticked').

As a further definate check that you are signed-out (when you are trying to stay out for more than

24 hrs so a Daily Digest should be generated on unread posts), after signing-out in your normally

used browser, you could view the msfn Forums webpage in a browser you usually NEVER use

(for me, IE8), so there's no chance that browser has 'Remembered You', and view the members

who are currently online. [Hello!, and there I was, the Board still had me signed-in!]

Edited by buyerninety

JorgeA: Thanks for the Test Post. It didn't generate a notification email.

Buyerninety: Thank you very much for the detailed rundown. This is exactly what I was hoping for. I shall go thru each step. I do have an ad blocker, but it has not prevented notification emails in the past. Is it necessary to select Daily Digest? I'm really only interested it email notifications of topic replies.

mitchsc said;

"I'm really only interested it email notifications of topic replies."

Although you haven't, in any of your previous posts, mentioned Digests, I did enquire of you on

the 11th Nov about what updates you were selecting... absent a reply to that PM, I proceeded as

if it were a Digest issue (per communication from another member).

I have to leave shortly, so I'm going to dodge answering yr question for the time being... I'll add

an EDIT to post #113, however, so you have something else to take into account...

Buyerninety: Thank you so much for the upcoming additional info on "email notification replies to posts".

As I mentioned in post 105 above, I've been having some HDD issues, and then my wife got a wicked redirect virus on her machine that I couldn't get off. Spent the better part of last week doing a fresh install for her. I did not mean to ignore your PM. My apologies. :blushing:

Post #117, Kel, granted;
@xper hasn't posted anything elseabout thatresults, I think specifically,
for this post '#87,#92,#117' problem, the last link I gave in post #92
seems a likely candidate for where the problem lays... only xper's
authoritative investigations will unearth the problem cause.
...as a general comment, if it is not occuring already (and I note for testing,

it is apparently not happening at other IP.Boards also), is needed a testing

account by Admin that is a 'Member' level account to test with, as testing with

Admin level may simply not expose some of the problems we run across...

Post #116, Mitchsc, no apologies necessary, for;
"email notifications of topic replies" having regard to scanning through all

seen previously where revelant, for testing purposes TRY;
(In your prefered topic);(or here);http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/158377-test/

Clicking 'Follow Me',
ticking 'Receive Notification' and selecting 'Only When Not On-Line' and
ensure there are no ticks for 'Follow Anonymously' and
clicking "Follow This Topic' in that box.
Then go to webpage 'Notification options';
http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?app=core&module=usercp&tab=core&area=notifications
and tick 'Notification method to use for replies to followed topics' both
PM and email
and above that;
tick 'Auto follow topics I reply to. Notification frequency' select 'OffLine'
and ensure there are no ticks for;
'Notify me when someone quotes my posts (and I'm not already following)' and
at that page bottom click 'Save Changes'.
NOW go to webpage 'Content I follow';
http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=followed
Click 'Toggle Edit Options" and you should see under your prefered topic;
'Notify only when I am offline'. (If you do see that, simply leave that page).
Then go back to your prefered topic, reply to some post, and then
sign-out. (Check per methods discussed previously you ARE signed-out),
and view your prefered topic offline, refreshing the wepage occaisionally.
When someone Posts in it, you should eventually get an email (and a PM should
also be generated).
BUT here's where unknown waters are entered - for say, Daily Digests, they are
set to run[generate-if-required] (by Admin) as a service at a set interval by
IPB software, (if I understand methodology correctly) say every 20 minutes to
an half hr (reasonable right?), that service to check if any Daily Digest(s) need

to be generated for member(s), - but xper will have to inform

us if 'immediate notifications' are actually immediate or run as a timed
service, likewise regarding 'offline notifications'. YOU WOULD THINK that whatever
the method or setting is, it reasonably can't be more than an hour (if as a
service) - so if you [offline]have seen a post occur, and you wait maximally an hour

+ a minute for a service to action + a minute for an email to be launched on its way,
heck, wait an hr and a half, if the service is functioning there must be found;
an email in your email inbox, and
when you sign-in,
a PM in your {is it My Conversations?} - [all things functioning correctly].
Notes; Quotes are turned off in above to prevent posts citing quotes
interferring with the testing results, and like reason for certain other settings,

and we are doing with offline selected to ensure we can watch and see if the

Board operates as we expect for email & PM.

If not, well xper will check from there-on.

LATER EDIT: From the timestamps I am seeing on the received 'Offline Notifications'

emails, evidently they are generated 'immediately' (of at least within a matter of

seconds). Good to know.

Edited by buyerninety

I just received my first e-mail new-post notification in several months, for @buyerninety's post just above. :thumbup

Keeping fingers crossed that whatever was blocking notifications from going out to me has now been removed, and that notifications for other threads will start flowing once again too.

--JorgeA

Same here !!! Woke up this morning delighted to see the letters MSFN on my phone. Someone did something. THANK YOU !!!

buyerninety: Thank you for the enormous effort you must have put in to writing up the detailed settings for me/us. Even though my email notifications started working, I shall go thru your suggested settings just to be sure.

Thanks all...