Good PCI-E audio card for Win2k

AnX

Hello MSFN. I'm having audio-related issues with this integrated Realtek HD audio. So can any MSFN user recommend me a modern pci-e hd audio sound card that I can use with Windows 2000?

I doubt there will be many people able to recommend such a card :angel but let's see...

Is a "normal" PCI card out of question? You could just get a used PCI sound card for a few $. I use an old Sound Blaster Live! 24-bit and it's still better than most of the audio junk integrated into motherboards.

Edited by tomasz86

My PC only has PCI express slots. :( Apparently standard PCI is being phased out as we know it...

Edited by AnX

What about modding drivers or something of the sort? Can you try to solve my Realtek HD audio issues, since you know a lot about drivers?

Basically software like Skype, Bandicam and Camtasia Studio don't properly work with RHDA...

My skills related to drivers are limited only to modifying the INF file, i.e. the installer so that XP drivers can be installed in 2K and so on. I've got no knowledge related to modification of the driver files themselves :(

BUT

The motherboard I use is ASRock A55 Pro which has Realtek HD Audio integrated. I've never used it since I've got the Sound Blaster card already mentioned above but I may try to check whether this HD Audio works in 2K. I should be able to do it sometime next week though.

Please remind me of it a few days later just in case :ph34r:

Edited by tomasz86

OK. As of now I'm using Skype 4.2 which works, and I've found a workaround to the other programs.

Edited by AnX

• 2 months later...

Audio cards exist that you plug in a USB port, for loudspeakers and microphone. No additional power needed, and because the chip is a bit old, no driver to add to W2k - not even KB888111 which is a censor. I bought some from China through eCreek for very few bucks. One single drawback: they protrude at the USB port, making them vulnerable, so better buy several - but I destroyed none.

The same seller had for me adapters from and to Usb - parallel, Usb - Pata40 - Pata44 - Sata, Sata - CF, Sata - Pata... nice to have at hand.

I wouldn't be surprised if loudspeakers exist with a Usb input.