Browser

earlytv

Maybe a year or two ago I started up my 9x systems again to up date them. When I went looking for a browser I got the usual, which firefox, opera, ect. I kept looking and found a new browser which had versions for 98 thru 7. They were only a short trial and then you had to buy them. After the trial was over I took it off the system and now I cant find them, I am 66 and can forget much. I maybe think, you bought it over seas, maybe INDIA, but not the current one which is in the INDIAN language.

ANYONE KNOW ABOUT THIS??

I have many many parts around that have 98SE drivers and would like to put a system together and buy the browser I cant find.

One mother board can use a INTEL early 775 chip, the SL8J7 which runs at 3.8 gig, which I have.

HELP!!

Edited by earlytv

If I cant find that browser then what is the best to use?
I have 2 systems with 9x in them, one has a P2 micro at 450MHZ and the other has a P3 micro at 1.4GHZ.
The browser is the bad thing on both. Ebay is the crash site for both these systems. Parts of ebay are missing
when I first go there and then with use more goes away. I have tried IE6, firefox 2 and 3, and opera.
So because I am starting a new 9X system with a micro at 3.8GHZ I really would like a good browser. I have tried
many of the others listed on the net but can not get them to work or work any better.

If I cant get a good browser then maybe I will have a dual boot system, 9X for all but the net and a Linux, xPUD, for just the net. To bad no software to put a Linux browser on 9X? xPUD called from 9X?

I like 9X for the 100s or is it 1000s of games, and to keep a old system working well. I am 66.

Edited by earlytv

As far as we here know, there are no remaining "new" browsers that are supporting Windows 9x, paid or otherwise. :}

If Firefox 2.0.0.20 or Opera (10.63 I believe?) doesn't do the job, your best bet may be in install KernelEx and try to run later non-9x versions of Firefox.

Edited by LoneCrusader

Agreed.

I mostly use the Pale Moon browser, a Firefox branch that is optimized specifically for Windows. To get started quickly and with good functionality, i would suggest v3.6.32, the final in the PM 3.x line (slightly more recent than the final FF 3.x v3.6.28). To use it, you must also install KernelEx (which allows *some* Win2k/XT-type programs to run under Win9x) beforehand. The major FF/PM 3.x issues seem to be printing and newer Java-version support.

In my experience, i'm able to access about 98% of the sites i visit without issue, 1% with minor rendering issues, and 1% with major issues (i.e., non-functional). But i don't visit a lot of Java sites, and every individual has their own unique needs.

Pale Moon archive:

http://www.palemoon.org/archived.shtml

KernelEx:

http://kernelex.sourceforge.net/

You might also need to install the Shockwave Flash plugin if you want to view FLV movie clips. But that's a whole 'nuther story as they say....

The main KEx browser alternative seems to be Opera 12.02, which i haven't spent a lot of time with, but which some folks speak highly of -- i'm sure they'll chime in! Others have spoken favorably of K-Meleon which uses the same rendering engine as FF and PM and is highly configurable. There also seem to be some newer upstarts in development, but at this point, they don't have the functionality of the major players.

A final thought might be to consider screen size. Could your current browser be choking when trying to fit a complex high-density page on a smallish screen? (I know theoretically it shouldn't make a difference, but....) I've gotten better results moving from a 15" -> 17" -> 18" 4:3 display. (I personally/aesthetically/perceptually don't care for widescreens.) :)

Good luck....

- Doug B.

Back when win 98 and puppy linux were new someone had puppy as a icon on win 98 screen.

Click the icon and thru ms dos puppy ran. When you left puppy it went back to 98.

Now there is Browser Linux 501 which is only a browser, firefox 5, and all it needs to

watch movies, up and down load, play music, get at all drives, dvd, HD, floppy, and look all

over the net, it has. I do not know software but on puppy forum I would like someone add what it takes

to get browser linux as a icon on win 98. This to me would be like kernal ex add on to run xp stuff, this would run

a linux browser.

I have 98se on my etower 633id with kernal ex and know how that runs. I did a boot of browser linux

to see how it runs.

Way faster, better browser, so I would like to have it as a icon on 98

I just tried palemoon, it works fine so far, thanks for info.

Edited by earlytv

I use Opera 10.63, the last known 98se version. No need for KernelEx, it runs natively kernel-wise. Before that I was natively using Firefox 2.0.0.20 (never tried 2.0.0.22-beta though) and subsequently K-Meleon 1.54. Firefox was a memory hog taking time to start-up. K-Meleon was faster, but it would freeze on java-scripts on some websites. You can disable javascript but then most of the website would not work. These issues would make you tear your hair out, especially when you're using some of my slower computers (400 MHz or so) with no more than 256mb system memory max, and surfing the net on 56k dial-up. Luckily I figured I would go back to Opera and found out about 10.63. Yes, 10.63 is dated a little, not much you can do, unless you use later versions of browsers using said KernelEx, but I say it's fixed a lot of these issues and so it works very well for me. For simple browsing/surfing, I have not gone back to anything else. And 10.63 is free (well, all Opera versions are free). Opera 9x works nicely too, just a little more dated. As far as watching movie clips in 10.63, like on Youtube, I don't have an answer, because being on dial-up, I can't really do that. :)

One important feature that 10.63 has (and all versions since) is "Opera Turbo", a sort of browsing accelerator. This helps compresses pictures, so they upload faster to your computer from the internet, sometimes 1.5 to 6 times faster than normal. Perfect for narrowband, like dial-up. People on broadband take this for granted, so if they ever get bumped back to dial-up without some sort of accelerator, they'll be in for a slow treat. Netzero, a dial-up internet service, also feature their own accelerator, but you have to pay like $5 more than their regular service.

Anyway, try 10.63, you can find it at opera.com .

PupWin98 Puppy Linux® for Windows®98

"Puppy Linux runs outside Windows, starting from MS-DOS launched by an icon on your Windows desktop."

Looks promising, but cannot exit Linux and return to Windows without rebooting....

Edit:

The following Linux browsers become available however: Amaya, Arora, Chromium, Dillo, Dooble, ELinks, Web, Flock, Galeon, Google Chrome, Konqueror, Links, Lynx, Midori, Firefox, NetSurf, Opera, QupZilla, SeaMonkey, SlimBoat, w3m. [from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_web_browsers#Operating_system_support ]

Edited by jumper

Since K-Meleon browser was mentioned in an earlier post, I thought I would make mention of a slightly newer version that JamesD released on July 3rd ... K-Meleon 1.6.0 Beta 2.6

He has been working as best he can on improving a few things ... I am no longer on Windows 98SE but when I made the move to XP last year I also had KernelEx installed at that time and I think you may need to have KernelEx installed for the KM 1.6.0 versions ... but I can't say for sure 100%.

Just thought I'd mention it here for anyone wanting to experiment ... it works great on most web sites with XP and JamesD himself lists Win 7 (32 bit) as his OS. I was mostly using K-Meleon with Windows 98SE and probably version K-Meleon 1.6.0 Beta 2.5 at that time along with K-Meleon 1.5.4 with JavaScript turned off ... I also use Proxomitron and sometimes have to put it on "Bypass" ... most of the time everything works OK with K-Meleon with no adjustments to JavaScript and Proxomitron but I know when I go to a few certain sites that I have to change a setting or two. I'm sorry but I can't be sure this slightly newer version will work with Windows 98SE but it may work ... for anyone wanting to give it a try.

http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/forum/read.php?1,125050,page=2

Re: Is K-Meleon Dead?

Posted by: JamesD

Date: July 03, 2013 06:45PM

K-Meleon 1.6.0 Beta 2.6

I have collected some new pieces and put them together as a new beta release for K-Meleon 1.6.0. The release is a 7-Zip so users can install in two ways. If you wish to have your profile in the same folder tree as the program, then you only have to make a folder, extract the files in 7z to that folder and run the executable named k-meleon. If you need your profile to be in your %APPDATA% folder then follow the same steps except prior to running k-meleon.exe you should delete the file named profile.ini which has 0 bytes.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1522294/K-Meleon1.6.0_Beta2dot6_en-US.7z

K-Meleon 1.6.0 beta 2.6 Win 7 (32 bit)

Add ... if you want K-Meleon to look more like IE 6 then change it to the Klassic skin under the Edit tab - Preferences ... if you would like to have a lighthouse throbber then this one was made for me by disrupted in Oct 2010 ... you just replace the regular KM throbber in the Klassic skin folder or whatever skin you want to use ... the default skin is more modern but I prefer the older Klassic skin look or the older IE 6 look ... once you get all the settings adjusted to your liking ... it took me awhile to figure some settings out with help from the KM forum. As you progress, save the KM folder somewhere till you get the final product that you like and save that somewhere to add to other computers in the future, if you want to.

Lighthouse throbber ...

http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/forum/read.php?10,110908

Edited by duffy98

I have palemoon on win 98se and browser linux 501 on system as 2nd choice.

The linux lets me place any downloads in the 98se section. The home screen for the linux

allows your search to be put into 15 different search engines.

SPEED, PALEMOON 10 MEG BITS PER SEC, BROWSER LINUX 35 MEG BITS PER SEC.

Still would like a software person to make something like KERNELEX but for linux, (linuxex)

that would allow Linux browsers to be added to 98se.

A extra, the linux 1st stores in a ram drive, I need to move what I want to the win hard drive.

All else goes away when system turned off. I am not a software person but dont that mean

if a virus gets into the ram drive, at shut down its gone?

Edited by earlytv

• 2 weeks later...

I am using k-meleon. Never used it before. Its portable, does not show up as installed? I used a shortcut on screen to fire it up?

Can it be installed? Different skins?

Yes and yes. Which version of KMeleon? I'm not sure how you're installing it if you're having problems. I've loaded different skins in the past.

However, after using K-Meleon 1.54 recently for 2-3 years, I was flustered with it because it couldn't handle javascript very well, among other little issues. I went back to Opera, running version 10.63, the last version for native 98SE, as I mentioned in an earlier post. I have never gone back to K-Meleon, even the later beta versions.

Try Opera 10.63 instead, it's much more stable (and relatively newer) than K-Meleon 1.54... and most importantly, you don't even need KernelEX...

http://www.opera.com/download/guide/?os=qnx&ver=10.63&os=qnx&ver=10.63

Taken from above,

(from jumper) K-Meleon 1.6.0 beta 2 requires KernelEx in W2K mode.

I'm downloading beta 2.6 now and will report back.

(from duffy98) https://dl.dropboxus...a2dot6_en-US.7z

K-Meleon 1.6.0 beta 2.6 Win 7 (32 bit)

K-Meleon was in a zip file. I did the unzip to a folder and in the folder was a K-Meleon EXEC.

Did a short cut to that file on my sys screen and it pops up with no install, It runs with no install and goes away when you shut it down. They call that a portable program dont they? Or is it mobile?

Edited by earlytv