Question - USB functional patches for Win XP after SP3

Monroe

I don't understand how to add these "extra" USB functional patches for Win XP after SP3 posted by dencorso. At pointertovoid's thread - "USB functional patches for Win2000 after SP4 and R1" he says the following: The table is plain text to help you copy it. In order to display your copy properly, you'll need a fixed width font (like Courier new) where you paste it, for instance an Html document or a text editor (Metapad does it).

I never change any fonts in my XP setup and don't understand completely what steps I should be doing and how to enter everything into my XP setup or exactly where it is supposed to be ... I'm thinking probably the .ini file but I don't know for sure.

Can someone tell me in simple "novice" terms how to add the extra USB patches as posted below from dencorso's post.

This thread is inspired by pointertovoid's USB functional patches for Win2000 after SP4 and R1, of course!

Only those files related to USB that were actually updated after SP3 are mentioned here. None of these updates is known to cause any issues.

-----------------XP-SP3----948101v3-949764-945436-949033-968764-969238-2828030-2807986--========================================================================================usbccgp.sys-----2600.5512-------------------5585----------------------------------------usbehci.sys-----2600.5512--------------------------5587---5778---5825---6368------------usbohci.sys-----2600.5512----5550-------------------------------------------------------usbuhci.sys-----2600.5512-----------------------------------------------6368------------usbport.sys-----2600.5512------------5551-----------------5778----------6368------------usb8023.sys-----2600.5512--------------------------------------------------------6532---usb8023x.sys----2600.5512--------------------------------------------------------6532---========================================================================================---------------------------948101v3-949764-945436-949033-968764-969238-2828030-2807986--
thanks ...

Here's just the same: if one copies the table to notepad and sets it in COurier New, the Table will show perfectly!

You see, it's not simply based in poitertovoid's table: it actually *is* pointertovoid's table with contents changed. :P

Now, when one reads that Table closely, one can see that only KB948101-v3, KB945436, KB2828030 and KB2807986 contain files that aren't superceded by another, later update. Now, it turns out that KB2807986 is a security update, and those are pushed automatically by MS for those who use "Automatic Updates" on, and for those, like me, who keep it turned off, it's still offered whenever one visits the "MS Update Site" (or it's older brother the "Windows Update Site"), so it's quite possible that one does already have KB2807986 installed. The surest way to check is to find those two files and check their version (for normal installations both usb8023.sys and usb8023x.sys will be at C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache, and they'll turn out to be version 5.1.2600.6532 already). The other three are hotfixes which must be gotten explicitly, since MS will not offer one them out of the blue, but instead supply only when asked. After gathering them I do install all three by hand, but there always are those who'll prefer to slipstream them with nLite or whatever. About that I cannot give any advice, because I don't do it. HTH.

OK ... thanks for the additional information ... not sure if I have it all clear but I have some idea where to start to try things out.

You go to the articles in MS knowlwdge base and request, then download, each of the three hotfixes: KB948101-v3, KB945436, KB2828030 ... Once you've got 'em, then you run 'em, one at a time, taking care to let them reboot when they so request.

You may actually intall them in any order, but if you install the fixes with higher KB numbers first,then you minimize the files added to your machine, because the newer versions of some files get installed first and prevent the installation of the older versions of the same files, when they exist in the older hotfixes.

That's all there is to it.

OK, things are more clear but I may have misunderstood what these "extra" USB updates actually are. When I was still with Windows 98SE, I remember you would ocassionally have a newer USB update in the Windows 98SE forum to add new USB flash drives, cameras and etc ... that's what I thought these additional USB updates for Windows XP after SP3 actually were. I don't have a NVIDIA 680i motherboard installed so I don't think I have any real need for these additional updates ... I just thought these were newer additional USB cameras and such that were added after XP SP3 came out. Perhaps XP doesn't have to be updated like Windows 98SE had to.

Still learning things dealing with XP ... thanks again for explaining everything.

Edited by duffy98

Thank you for all these informations.
As my system is Windows XP SP2 512 MB RAM (no internet use), kindly let me know however, if you can, the updated complete list of the files that handle USB functions for Windows XP, or alternatively the files that are updated from SP2 to SP3 (and where it is possible to download them individually - in order to be able to update only the part USB management).
Thank you in advance.
I41Mar

PS: I dont update my SP2 system to SP3 as I dont have enough RAM (512 MB only) and I also found an incompatibility (seen on another PC with Win XP SP3 and fully updated) of a program that runs in the msdos ntvdm (a dos game editor for a dos game). This game editor run just fine on my SP2 system and also on Windows 98 SE.

I run Windows XP SP3 on my 512 MB Pentium M laptop and my 256 MB Pentium III desktop with no problem. As for the NTVDM problem, it is probably the one that has to do with the later NT OS kernel patches, there is a solution for this, have a look here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/163182-solution-for-the-ntvdm-crashing-problem/

[...] kindly let me know however, if you can, the updated complete list of the files that handle USB functions for Windows XP, or alternatively the files that are updated from SP2 to SP3 (and where it is possible to download them individually - in order to be able to update only the part USB management).[...]

I'm really sorry, but I did research only the USB functional patches for Win XP after SP3.

Those between SP2 and SP3 I haven't any info about, I regret to say.

• 5 years later...

Does anyone have a mirror of those Hotfixes please?. I'd like to slipstream them in a recent nlite install.

In any case, I'm curious if when these are present on systems running on non-target motherboards, if they will cause problems or not.

Edited by shorterxp