Windows Protection error on win 95

mindingu

its been a week since im trying to install win 95 on my intel celeron laptop. ive used msdod and then installed win 95. got protection error message.

then i found this forum and a memory trick. got protection error message.

then i found a cpu limit patch called fix95cpu got the same error : protection error press any key to restart your computer.

but this time i was managed to enter on safe mode, but still got that message on normal mod.

then i installed amd patch same error

then i installed tel net patch same error.

then i managed to remove drivers in safe mode, guess what? same error

i used the step verification mode (4) and i received the message when initialising drivers.

does any one knows how to fix that plz? im desperate to get win 95 on my laptop so that i can run that old game syndicate

well im using windows 95 osr2.5 cd and have 1gb ram

plz help me. not the only one who has the same error

We need a better description of the error, if possible. Does it give any other information other than just "Windows Protection Error?"

You will probably have to reduce your RAM to 512MB. The "RAM tweaks" that are found here and elsewhere never worked for me, and the only way I was able to use more than 512MB was by purchasing and installing RLoew's RAM Limitation Patch.

We need a better description of the error, if possible. Does it give any other information other than just "Windows Protection Error?"

You will probably have to reduce your RAM to 512MB. The "RAM tweaks" that are found here and elsewhere never worked for me, and the only way I was able to use more than 512MB was by purchasing and installing RLoew's RAM Limitation Patch.

it only shows that. i gotta purchase rloews ram? the protection error is due to the ram?

it only shows that. i gotta purchase rloews ram? the protection error is due to the ram?

Most likely it is due to the RAM, but there's always the possibility it could be something else.

Go here and download the Demo version of the RAM Patch and install it. It will run for 10 minutes, and should allow you to determine whether you can boot Windows 95 without the Protection Error or not before the time expires.

If it fixes your problem, you will know that the RAM is at fault. Then you can decide whether to purchase the full version, or to reduce your RAM to 512MB or less.

Most likely it is due to the RAM, but there's always the possibility it could be something else.

Go here and download the Demo version of the RAM Patch and install it. It will run for 10 minutes, and should allow you to determine whether you can boot Windows 95 without the Protection Error or not before the time expires.

If it fixes your problem, you will know that the RAM is at fault. Then you can decide whether to purchase the full version, or to reduce your RAM to 512MB or less.

unknown invalid or uncompressed vm32

512 Decimal = 200 Hexadecimal

Where did you use that value? Please give sufficient info.

i use MaxPhysPage=20000 at system.ini on [386Enh] section

Edited by mindingu

Go here and download the Demo version of the RAM Patch and install it.

If it fixes your problem, you will know that the RAM is at fault.

unknown invalid or uncompressed vmm32

If that is what the RAM Limitation Patch Demo installer returned, there's something major wrong with your installation. *Major*...

In any case set MaxFileCache=131072 under the [VCache] section, while keeping MaxPhysPage=20000 at system.ini on [386Enh] section.

You have installed a number of Patches according to your initial Post.

The error my Patch is showing suggests that your VMM32 failed to pack or repack at some point.

Try running my Demo Patch as follows:

PATCHM - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VMM32.VXD -

This assumes that your Windows Directory is called C:\WINDOWS.

The two dashes are required.

Edited by rloew

If rloew's suggestion does not work, I recommend you START OVER; reinstalling Windows 95 and ONLY install FIX95CPU and the Demo RAM Patch. The other updates you installed are either irrelevant to this issue, or may replace newer files with obsolete ones.

Also be sure that you are installing FIX95CPU as intended, and not using the "slipstream" method, as failure to precisely follow the slipstreaming instructions could lead to a situation where VMM32 would not be properly compressed.

@mindingu: it seems the board's database had to be rolled back, so that my question and your answer about your hardware got lost.

I'm sorry to have to ask it, but would you please describe your laptop again?

But wait some hours hence, before doing it, because the forums may not be fully stable yet. If this post disappears, then we'll know it's not.

My revised recommendation got lost as well.

Try:

PATCHM /M - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VMM32.VXD -

Do not leave out the TWO Dashes "-" shown above or the Command will fail.

If you have reinstalled, as LoneCrusader suggested, use:

PATCHM /M

@mindingu: it seems the board's database had to be rolled back, so that my question and your answer about your hardware got lost.

I'm sorry to have to ask it, but would you please describe your laptop again?

But wait some hours hence, before doing it, because the forums may not be fully stable yet. If this post disappears, then we'll know it's not.

my laptop is a hel-81 1gb ram hd toshiba ide celeron and the dvd is a Phillips but win 95 recognises it

Edited by mindingu