XP Questions

Hoko

I'm looking for the right versions of these programs to install on my Win XP home edition 32bit. :ph34r:

NUSB

DX

IE

WMP

Adobe Flash Player

Java

USB update

Any other program or update you would recommend for xp :) thx

NUSB? Which one of these are you referring to?

DX - 9c which already comes with XP so you don't have to worry about it. There is a redistributable that will not change the version but game makers may include files from it if needed.

IE - IE8 but preferebly a different browser like Firefox or Chrome.

WMP - Keep 9 and use VLC

Adobe Flash Player - http://www.adobe.com/special/products/flashplayer/fp_distribution3.html

Java - Don't install it unless you need it for some programs like Minecraft. It's a huge security risk if you don't disable it in the browser.

USB update - No clue what you mean my this.

Any other program or update you would recommend for xp - Kerio Personal Firewall but make sure to import this reg file to avoid buffer overruns. 7-Zip or WinRAR or both. TweakUI

Edited by -X-

???

1 - Doing a "clean" install and updating afterwards?

2 - Already done the Install?

Not sure, but I think you have done Option#2 (based on topic).

You COULD have done Option#3 and Integrated using -X- Updates/nLite (see his signature).

Oh, well...

edit - FWIW, I'm working on a "Post Clean Install" (Option#2 without Updates) Script that utilizes -X- Files from his script (his signature) to install all of his Updates afterwards (his doesn't include Java). NOT there yet. :(

Edited by submix8c

NUSB? Which one of these are you referring to?

DX - 9c which already comes with XP so you don't have to worry about it. There is a redistributable that will not change the version but game makers may include files from it if needed.

IE - IE8 but preferebly a different browser like Firefox or Chrome.

WMP - Keep 9 and use VLC

Adobe Flash Player - http://www.adobe.com/special/products/flashplayer/fp_distribution3.html

Java - Don't install it unless you need it for some programs like Minecraft. It's a huge security risk if you don't disable it in the browser.

USB update - No clue what you mean my this.

Any other program or update you would recommend for xp - Kerio Personal Firewall but make sure to import this reg file to avoid buffer overruns. 7-Zip or WinRAR or both. TweakUI

Thx for the useful info :)

NUSB - I was referring to flash drive storage but I found out XP has generic USB storage drivers.

USB - Drivers have to be installed in Win9x so I assume its supplied with USB2 capability?

@ submix8c, it might be clear to you what you are referring to as 1, 2, option#2 or option#3, but to us, it's quite cryptic.
(garf!)

1 = Option#1

2 = Option#2

* = Non-numbered, yet suggested Option#3

Logical conclusions. ;)

@ submix8c, it might be clear to you what you are referring to as 1, 2, option#2 or option#3, but to us, it's quite cryptic.

Sorry submix8c. I can usually follow your posts, but this time I'm afraid I agree with the above statement. When you say option#1 etc, that is an answer to what question? If this was directed as a response to the first post in this thread, then I guess it is in response to this --

I'm looking for the right versions of these programs to install on my Win XP home edition 32bit.

But that is totally a guess, as it really is not very clear.

Cheers and Regards

Sorry submix8c. I can usually follow your posts, but this time I'm afraid I agree with the above statement. When you say option#1 etc, that is an answer to what question? If this was directed as a response to the first post in this thread, then I guess it is in response to this --

Submix8c asks and answers his own questions, not those of the OP, so he is is refering to his own references, then extrapolates to references he could have made but didn't.. If you read it five times, it all makes sense.

If you read it five times, it all makes sense.

I have read it SIX times :w00t:, and at the most I might be able to provide an (educated ;)) guess about the original meaning. :(

From that to have it actually make sense, there are still many re-reads in between :unsure:.

make-sense.jpg

jaclaz

Um, no... I asked 2 questions in reference to the Original Post.

1 process

2 process

Then proceeded to refer to them as "options" by referenceing "2" linking to the possibility that it was was done (never knowing whether or not Updates were applied). Then proposed (using the word "option") 3 (where all the Updates are). If, in fact, NO updates were done then "3" would be viable, otherwise WINDOWS/MS Update or Manual Install (my notation).

Sorry, but I don't see why it wasn't clear, but if you say so it must be

DSC01284.JPG

Edited by submix8c

It's not clear because 1 and 2 are not exclusive and so look like a list and not like options and it also looks like you are replying to an other thread, so when you come with "option#2 based on linked topic", we expect to see an option #2 in the linked topic... but there is none.

Also you go on with "option#3 and something" when you mean "option#3 is that something".

Then you go on with "option#2 without something" when 2 doesn't even mention that something at first.

Mind you, you do warn us that the post will be confusing by starting it with "??"... I hope I'm clear. :angel

Edited by Ponch

???<-I'm confused. We don't have an Emoticon with ? above a head or I would use it. ;) I suppose I could have used :huh: but "huh" means something like "Huh?" or "Huh!" Not very expressive as "I'm confused".

They ARE exclusive.

1 - Doing a "clean" install and updating afterwards?
2 - Already done the Install?

Not sure, but I think you have done Option#2 (based on topic).
You COULD have done Option#3 and Integrated using -X- Updates/nLite

1 = Are you going to do a clean install and update aftwerwards?

2 = Have you ALREADY done an install?

(link then give to "apparently", but no mention of Updates except Drivers)

(Option)3 = Slipstream the Updates and perform 1 instead of updating afterwards.

Pretty clear and all in a row on separate lines. :yes:

"IFTHEN ELSE" logic. OR I could have expressed it in (Mainframe) Assembly -

(Issue MSG)

(Receive Response into storage area Q)

CLC Y,Q

BE NEXTQ

B DOIT

Q DS C

Y EQU C"Y"

MSG DC C"I have a question - did you...?"

NEXTQ DS 0H

(whatever)