Geforce 8400 vs 210 for Win2k

I recently pulled my 620 card out of my computer for now (plan to use it in a future Win 7 build). Since Deus Ex 1 or Quake 4 will likely be the most powerful game I'll be playing on my 2000 system, I was planning to get a cheap silent (fanless) card in 1gb. I had a 8400 a few years ago in 512 gb which worked quite well so I was thinking of ordering one of the 1gb ones they have on amazon, but I see some Geforce 210's are cheaper at times-which card do you think is the better performer, and does the 210 have drivers that will work with plain (unmodified) Win2k?

You don't need to be afraid of the Windows 2000 Extended Kernel. It's as stable and reliable as the standard Windows 2000 kernel. It's just an extension, not a replacement, so the rock-solid Windows 2000 kernel is still present.

Anyway, the 8400 will work with Win2k drivers, the 210 however will most likely need the Extended Kernel.

Edited by AnX

You don't need to be afraid of the Windows 2000 Extended Kernel. It's as stable and reliable as the standard Windows 2000 kernel. It's just an extension, not a replacement, so the rock-solid Windows 2000 kernel is still present.

Anyway, the 8400 will work with Win2k drivers, the 210 however will most likely need the Extended Kernel.

I'm not spooked about the Extended Kernel-it's actually quite good and I love the increased functionality, however as you saw on my security thread-I kept having problems with antivirus programs attacking various modified files, I'd set one to be excluded only for the other to be attacked. I look forward to 5.2 but I've decided to wait until it's done and properly tested and not keep grabbing the daily versions of UURollup to see what happens next. I have a cranky old xp machine I'm using as a backup and to do more sensitive stuff online, I'm planning to replace that in a few months with a homebuilt system and that's what I'm going to use my 620 for, after my experience with a 9500 card that became disabled due to a fan going out, I wanted a fanless card anyways. Once I get a 8400, I'll be able to do anything I want with my current setup. B)

The only issue I've gotten so far is with sfc.dll, avast! reports that everything else is a-ok.

On my security thread here: My link I noted that when I got avast finally figured out, I discovered ClamWin was attacking a number of files that had been modified, also I discovered while I could install the latest version of Firefox-for some reason it would later show a black screen when I tried to use it again and I had to switch back to qupzilla, I love the 5.2 concept but I decided to wait until it's finished and the bugs ironed out, since my motherboard (Biostar with LGA 775 processor) has win2k compatible drivers and there's still great utilities around that you can use for win2k, I've got everything I need for now. B)

You mean this?: "9. When you run the latest version of Firefox on Win2k, you MUST disable "Hardware Acceleration" in Tools > Options > Advanced > General. If you don't do this, you will likely see strange graphical glitches on the screen that will cause the browser to not work correctly. This is recommended prior to installing Firefox 13+ on Win2k."

Is that in the display options in control panel? If I shut that down will it affect video quality on vids I play in VLC?

I don't see Control Panel mentioned anywhere :P It's all about settings inside Firefox. Just start the browser in safe mode (keep the shift key pressed), go to settings, disable hardware acceleration and restart.

Okay I gave UURollup another shot-now I have Firefox 21 up and running! :thumbup One thing you can do when you start it is to set your desktop resolution to 256 for a minute, that will also keep 'blackout' from happening when you're adjusting settings. I was also able to install SRware as well! :w00t: