Silent Aero Glass Reloaded [Works with RC4]

About the messagebox visibility. It only shows up on startup for a split second and then I don't see it anymore so great job! And now with the symbols thingy it'll last much more :)

Edited by Blackbird256

If a debugging window is necessary in some ways to see what's going on, so be it. Although if it were me, I think if anyone wants to use a version where they've removed the debugging window, I'd let them, on the basis that any issues they have is their own responsibility. So if they come and say "I don't like X", just tell them "use the debugging version or I can't/won't help".

But this is what I said many times and people were still shouting. Next time, I will not put message box there and I will ensure that Aero Glass stops working after 1 hour completely, or maybe I will present screenshot only. Maybe, everyone will then realize that this is preview only.
A debugging window at least gives information that can be used to find problems. A static message doesn't serve that purpose. It just says one piece of information that people should already know anyway.

If you're not even planning on getting money for this, I just don't get why you'd want to have artificial limitations like this given that you don't even gain anything from putting them there.

It makes sense to have a limited trial for paid software so people can see how the program functions and decide if they want to buy it. Maybe you should charge for it if you don't think people deserve to get it for free.

And so what if some people are incapable of reading that this is a test version? You can't fix stupid. Just let stupid people break their systems (they'll probably find a way to break it even if it's not by using your program).

Because bugs are to be expected, and is the reason why there are test versions. Anyone that doesn't understand that deserves to break their system. That's punishment enough, really.

Edited by Aaaaa

If a debugging window is necessary in some ways to see what's going on, so be it. Although if it were me, I think if anyone wants to use a version where they've removed the debugging window, I'd let them, on the basis that any issues they have is their own responsibility. So if they come and say "I don't like X", just tell them "use the debugging version or I can't/won't help".

But this is what I said many times and people were still shouting. Next time, I will not put message box there and I will ensure that Aero Glass stops working after 1 hour completely, or maybe I will present screenshot only. Maybe, everyone will then realize that this is preview only.
A debugging window at least gives information that can be used to find problems. A static message doesn't serve that purpose. It just says one piece of information that people should already know anyway.

If you're not even planning on getting money for this, I just don't get why you'd want to have artificial limitations like this given that you don't even gain anything from putting them there.

It makes sense to have a limited trial for paid software so people can see how the program functions and decide if they want to buy it. Maybe you should charge for it if you don't think people deserve to get it for free.

And so what if some people are incapable of reading that this is a test version? You can't fix stupid. Just let stupid people break their systems (they'll probably find a way to break it even if it's not by using your program).

Because bugs are to be expected, and is the reason why there are test versions. Anyone that doesn't understand that deserves to break their system. That's punishment enough, really.

To answer your question

I must admit that this whole thing is a bit funny. The real reason why I added this messagebox was just an experiment to test users how they behaves if they get something for free. And you can see something weird which I haven't mentioned yet:

a) users are complaining about half-an-hour/once-an-hour messagebox, but the period between each popup is not half an hour and it's not either once an hour. The period is much much longer.

B) request to display messagebox is sent during the request to draw glass frame. And these requests don't come when desktop is not visible - e.g. you are playing the game etc.

Isn't it weird that users complain about something which doesn't exist in real?

He thinks it's funny to annoy the users. I guess I have different taste in humor. I don't find viruses infecting someone funny either. Edited by Blackbird256

I made a derp then, I guess. I assumed it was open source because it was hosted on a site that is famous for hosting open source projects. I didn't have a clue that they also hosted proprietary software. Mind you I'm no open source zealot. Anyhow, since it's closed source, that changes my opinion drastically. It's your code, and since you have decided on a proprietary license, you do have a copyright, even if it's freeware. In this case, it's not a collective work, so by the book, you're in charge. Even with prerelease software, you should include a license. If it took me a while to figure this out, I would include an EULA in the next release. That way you can prevent reverse modification. But without at least an agreement, there is no law. Your work, your decision. Now that I know the situation, I don't blame you for being mad, but you kind if left the front door open for abuse. You don't need to hire a legal team, but you do need a copyright, EULA, and to enforce this new license. However, the nag screen argument is slightly valid still. I would give anyone who donates a certain amount a way to disable this nag screen. Think about it! It would be an incentive to support your work, and maybe there'd be less cracks. Afterwards I would ask people to remove the cracked versions.

Edited by MikeRL

I must admit that this whole thing is a bit funny. The real reason why I added this messagebox was just an experiment to test users how they behaves if they get something for free. And you can see something weird which I haven't mentioned yet:

a) users are complaining about half-an-hour/once-an-hour messagebox, but the period between each popup is not half an hour and it's not either once an hour. The period is much much longer.

B) request to display messagebox is sent during the request to draw glass frame. And these requests don't come when desktop is not visible - e.g. you are playing the game etc.

Isn't it weird that users complain about something which doesn't exist in real?

He thinks it's funny to annoy the users. I guess I have different taste in humor. I don't find viruses infecting someone funny either.

Nobody said that it's funny to annoy users. I said that it's funny that users complain about problems which do not exist at all.

I made a derp then, I guess. I assumed it was open source because it was hosted on a site that is famous for hosting open source projects. I didn't have a clue that they also hosted proprietary software. Mind you I'm no open source zealot. Anyhow, since it's closed source, that changes my opinion drastically. It's your code, and since you have decided on a proprietary license, you do have a copyright, even if it's freeware. In this case, it's not a collective work, so by the book, you're in charge. Even with prerelease software, you should include a license. If it took me a while to figure this out, I would include an EULA in the next release. That way you can prevent reverse modification. But without at least an agreement, there is no law. Your work, your decision. Now that I know the situation, I don't blame you for being mad, but you kind if left the front door open for abuse. You don't need to hire a legal team, but you do need a copyright, EULA, and to enforce this new license. However, the nag screen argument is slightly valid still. I would give anyone who donates a certain amount a way to disable this nag screen. Think about it! It would be an incentive to support your work, and maybe there'd be less cracks. Afterwards I would ask people to remove the cracked versions.

If I say true, I wanted to make my software open-source but I changed my mind due to the users' behaviour. But on the other side, I do not care much about the license. People also do not realize that there is no limitation in the preview/beta version, there is no message box etc. Yeah, situation changes if someone uses it for not-intended purpose, but it is his problem. I just don't understand why people still shout, nobody forces them to use my software so if they don't like it, they should not use it.

The same situation can come e.g. with automotive industry. Some car company presents the prototype of their new car. There is big banner on the front glass "PROTOTYPE" and car manufacturer just says "This is a new prototype, check how it looks like" and people starts to shout that they cannot drive the car because there is a banner on the front glass and they don't see the road through it.

People also do not realize that there is no limitation in the preview/beta version, there is no message box etc.

how can i argue with the author - however the latest version still gives me the message box - not as often so not as annoying but its still there - once on startup or sometime shortly after and then - depending on what i am doing it may not show for days - but it does popup - usually at the most annoying time - my problem i know and the answer said loud and long is if i dont like it dont use the software - if we all took that view we would not use a computer as there are many things i dont like

glass add what i want to windows 8 - with the silent reloader it now works well - i realise it may still crash my system as may the silent reloader but i will take that risk - i am happy with that as it has not happened yet - i measure that against the popup which i have never liked or seen the use of

but as ever bigmuscle will disagree

All those those walls of text for a message box suppressor :D

I know right. I just a freaking message box. I'll admit popups are a pet peeve of mine, but in no way should it warrant all these walls of text.

I'm curious though, if I set it to it's notification area behaviour to "Hide icon and notifications" how come it doesn't hide it?

Edited by ptd163

All those those walls of text for a message box suppressor :D

I know right. I just a freaking message box. I'll admit popups are a pet peeve of mine, but in no way should it warrant all these walls of text.

I'm curious though, if I set it to it's notification area behaviour to "Hide icon and notifications" how come it doesn't hide it?

Weird. It's my first time coding something that uses tray icons so I'll look into why that happens.

• 2 weeks later...
How should you even know that there is no message box with one-hour interval when you use crack?No, there was not messagebox in first versions. There was only debug console because the version was intended for debugging only. And isn't it a kind of paradox that people download debug version and they try to get rid of debug window? How can they help with testing then? Yes, it took space on the taskbar - the same space as any other window/application takes, or do you complain that e.g. excel wastes taskbar space?Thus I redirected debug messages to file and displayed single startup messagebox. People were complaing that this one click blocks them from testing. bul*****... so I changed to one-hour interval to block people from using it - only to serve the original purpose = preview. Later I changed to two-hours interval and now it can happen that you won't see the message for six hours at all. And people still complain about one-hour interval. Also, just as I said above, the messagebox is displayed only when request to draw glass frame comes. And people still complain - not because they have problems but because they got limited version for free and they want full version for free. That's it, that's the real reason.I must admit that I already wanted to release final version, but I delayed it. Why should I hurry? I don't think that people deserve it. They don't want to help with development, they don't want to test anything, they want only to abuse it for they own profit, nothing more. (by Big Muscle)

You have been asked to create a Final and name a price. So people want to give you money just to get rid of your "I am the King"-Messagebox. Sure, many users don´t want to test or something - yeah, this is why they are users - and sometimes they are ungrateful. But you ain´t better. You enjoy your monopole and intentionally annoy users with your senseless messages. I am sure, if there was a competitive application, you never would have installed the Messagebox, or would have removed it, resp, a final version of your app would exist already. You are permanently crying that people complain of your Messagebox, so you please say "Thank you!" to francesco149, because nobody is complaining anymore and you did not even have to remove your holy Messagebox for that :)

And again, before I´d test a program that intentionally annoys me, I would search for other solutions.

Edited by Sheldon

Thanks working Great, Needed msvcp110.dll and msvcr110.dll, Just googled and downloaded them, Thanks ace2

It's weird that you were missing the MSVC redistributable though. Win8 should ship with VC redist 2012

had the same problem - maybe its about how win 8 was installed - mine was an upgrade from 7