Silent Aero Glass Reloaded [Works with RC4]

How should you even know that there is no message box with one-hour interval when you use crack?

No, there was not messagebox in first versions. There was only debug console because the version was intended for debugging only. And isn't it a kind of paradox that people download debug version and they try to get rid of debug window? How can they help with testing then? Yes, it took space on the taskbar - the same space as any other window/application takes, or do you complain that e.g. excel wastes taskbar space?

Thus I redirected debug messages to file and displayed single startup messagebox. People were complaing that this one click blocks them from testing. bul*****... so I changed to one-hour interval to block people from using it - only to serve the original purpose = preview. Later I changed to two-hours interval and now it can happen that you won't see the message for six hours at all. And people still complain about one-hour interval. Also, just as I said above, the messagebox is displayed only when request to draw glass frame comes. And people still complain - not because they have problems but because they got limited version for free and they want full version for free. That's it, that's the real reason.

I must admit that I already wanted to release final version, but I delayed it. Why should I hurry? I don't think that people deserve it. They don't want to help with development, they don't want to test anything, they want only to abuse it for they own profit, nothing more.

It's not like we don't check for bugs if we don't have to click that messagebox... :boring:

Anyways if everything else fails I can always make the messagebox's window invisible and never close it.

Edited by francesco149

How should you even know that there is no message box with one-hour interval when you use crack?excel wastes taskbar space?

Thus I redirected debug messages to file and displayed single startup messagebox. People were complaing that this one click blocks them from testing. bul*****... so I changed to one-hour interval to block people from using it - only to serve the original purpose = preview. Later I changed to two-hours interval and now it can happen that you won't see the message for six hours at all. And people still complain about one-hour interval. Also, just as I said above, the messagebox is displayed only when request to draw glass frame comes. And people still complain - not because they have problems but because they got limited version for free and they want full version for free. That's it, that's the real reason.

I must admit that I already wanted to release final version, but I delayed it. Why should I hurry? I don't think that people deserve it. They don't want to help with development, they don't want to test anything, they want only to abuse it for they own profit, nothing more.

1) I like to have things in my taskbar I actually use and it was way too easy to accidentaly click on it.

2) What version had startup-only? I'm using this since 0.1 and none of them were startup-only.

3) Whether you intended it to be used for testing or daily use is irrelevant. It's my fault if I screw up my W8 install not yours. Since 0.7 it was good enough to leave all day with only minor slowdown.

3a) You can't group people like that. Obviously plenty of them will be impatient like me, but you have to deal with that. If this is your first project I can understand the frustration, but you should take a look at some moddb's mod profiles and you'll see the exact same thing. You can't let some people discourage you otherwise you'll never release anything

4) It's not free. More like shareware if you know the term and I really hate shareware. Trial is much better for actually trying something.

5) I realized that months ago, because most of the updates weren't fixes, but rather new experiments unless you don't list everything in your changelog. Abuse it? Nah they want to use feature that was supposed to be in W8 in the first place if M$ wasn't bunch of dumbasses and don't want to wait if functional way is available which is why so many people grapsed at straws to get transparency working through that theme glitch.

It's not like we don't check for bugs if we don't have to click that messagebox... :boring:

Anyways if everything else fails I can always make the messagebox's window invisible and never close it.

This too. Do you really think we wouldn't report any bug we would come across so our experience is better? That is really silly. Edited by Blackbird256

BigMuscle, I know it must frustrate you to no end about someone tampering and cracking what you have worked so long and hard on, and I Know that the Majority of us on here Don't want some Cracked version but rather a legit paid for version!, So keep up the good work and We will be ready only after its been fully tested and your ready to release it..DP :yes:

1) I like to have things in my taskbar I actually use and it was way too easy to accidentaly click on it.

Ok, so it means that you don't want to have AeroGlass in taskbar because you don't use it? Or it seems to be very illogical to me. You want to help with debugging but you hate that it displays debugging window... weird.

3) Whether you intended it to be used for testing or daily use is irrelevant. It's my fault if I screw up my W8 install not yours. Since 0.7 it was good enough to leave all day with only minor slowdown.

No, it is not irrelevant. There are some usage condition and if you use software against it then you violate the license. Of couse, it is your fault if it screws your OS, but it is also your fault that you install debug/testing/preview sofware and it disturbs you from normal work. And this is the reason why I won't release Win8.1-version to public at all.

I sometimes don't understand this behaviour. You can see it with e.g. Windows 8.1 Preview too. Time-limited preview was released and people started to search for ways how to remove watermark on desktop or how to extend trial period (a bit illogical). How does it help MS with development?

Why did you respond only to these? Do you agree with the rest or what?

I actually reported some things in your thread if you search through my posts and guess what? I didn't need the messagebox telling me that.

Oh and about the watermark. Thats the first thing I did when I installed 7 Beta :D

Edited by Blackbird256

Ok, so it means that you don't want to have AeroGlass in taskbar because you don't use it? Or it seems to be very illogical to me. You want to help with debugging but you hate that it displays debugging window... weird.

Having a debug window isn't the only way of getting debug messages though. The most common way is having log files automatically created (log files stay there even if the system crashes and you can't manually record debug messages).

No, it is not irrelevant. There are some usage condition and if you use software against it then you violate the license. Of couse, it is your fault if it screws your OS, but it is also your fault that you install debug/testing/preview sofware and it disturbs you from normal work. And this is the reason why I won't release Win8.1-version to public at all.

The (il)legality of it doesn't necessarily align with the logic of it. I just don't see (logically) why you'd want to artificially limit what people can do with it as long as they carry the risk.

I sometimes don't understand this behaviour. You can see it with e.g. Windows 8.1 Preview too. Time-limited preview was released and people started to search for ways how to remove watermark on desktop or how to extend trial period (a bit illogical). How does it help MS with development?

People don't like artificial limitations. That's really all there is to understand about why people do it.

It's also why I like the GNU GPL (I'm not particularly knowledgeable about programming, but the things I've made have been licensed under the GNU GPL).

As far as testing goes, that's really a separate issue. Just because people don't like artificial limitations, doesn't mean they don't want to test and report bugs (or even fix bugs themselves if it's open source).

If anything, limitations just reduce the number of people who want to use the software and by extension people who want to test the software.

Just like how I've been considering moving to Linux as a primary OS as a result of Microsoft removing choices in Windows 8 - like not having aero glass. It's an artificial limitation that doesn't really make sense.

Having a debug window isn't the only way of getting debug messages though. The most common way is having log files automatically created (log files stay there even if the system crashes and you can't manually record debug messages).

Just quickly... yes, you can log into files but accessing HDD is extremly slow, especially in the case when you need to log every rendering operation in DWM to see what really happen. So logging into window is much faster here and does not stress your HDD. (And I should also mention that many people install this into folder where DWM cannot write)

We're still turning in a circle. So again, look at this: you develop something just for fun in your free time and you decide that you show the current status to the public. Some people says "it looks nice/bad", "I would improve this and that" - it is good behaviour. But many people only start to shout "This application disturbs me", "I cannot play games when I run it" etc. So what do you think of? Why the hell they are using this application if it annoys them, it was not intended for them!

Know what, bigmuscle? I don't blame you for being slightly p'd off. Of course it's your work, but you did make it open source (please keep it that way) and if someone actually can code it without 1 nag screen it shouldn't be too big of a deal. I propose a compromise - we go by an honor system and nobody creates any sort of "silent" version until you say yourself we're one or two releases away from final. I did donate and contribute logs, and if this is your wish I respect it, but there's way bigger problems in life than anyone on the internet arguing over software. Nobody has really started arguing yet, but this cannot be allowed to grow into a flame war. Now it's a constructive debate but just wait until trolls arrive (I remember plenty of them during the beta/RC releases of Aero Glass) and they turned a debate into a flame war. It's your software. But it's also open source. That, however, does not mean that we don't have to respect your wishes. Honestly for me I gave up on using a different version of Aero glass. Too much hassle for a stupid popup. That popup is not the worst thing in the world, for anyone, user or developer. Here we are moaning about first world problems while people are fighting over clean water and a patch of grass to eat somewhere. This application isn't the biggest pain in the butt to exist, in fact it relieved some of the biggest pains in Windows 8. So the benefits obviously outweigh the one little annoyance. And there are programs that are infested with annoying DRM (new SimCity anyone?) This application does not do anything nearly that evil. But users complain. I myself complained. But do not concern yourself with people moaning about the dialogue box. Yes a contribution to the main project would be much better (I'd do it myself and id*** test your 8.1 preview compatible version) but I honestly dislike the stability of the preview of 8.1 from Microsoft, even when compared to the Windows 8 previews. So let's not start a stupid fight. The best thing I could do if I were the OP: contribute to this project in the form of a small donation or code a bit and also try to find bugs. If I were bigmuscle I'd realize that no matter how good his work is to realize that users are impatient. VERY IMPATIENT. Perhaps you should make a "disable the nag screen" script for those who make over a certain contribution. Why not monetize something people are annoyed with at for no real good reason? It's not a perfect solution but it should prevent further distractions in the community. Also please realize that as important as Aero Glass for Windows 8 is, people are "cracking" the app for the purpose of instant gratification, not to annoy you. Unfortunately this seems to be a side affect. So basically everyone needs to stop arguing and stirring stuff up and realize this is the internet - not a life or death situation. But also to respect bigmuscle's wishes. If you find a way to "crack" the app, at least be considerate and don't leave it at a developer's front door here at MSFN. I don't want to see decent enough threads getting locked. Which may happen if we cannot get along. Just a guess. I'm sure I'm not perfect and have somehow added to this mess as well. It's just best we ignore certain things in life. We all have pet peeves but setting them off on other people, whether intentional or not, is wrong and should stop. Hopefully nobody takes this post as a joke or way too seriously; I'm hoping to calm the anger that's brewing and not douse it in gasoline.

All those those walls of text for a message box suppressor :D

Anyways, recoded this from scratch with a ghetto method to hide the MessageBox window permanently as long as the app is running in the background (it will still briefly pop up in UAC message but whatever).

Now comes with an auto-installer ^^

Just quickly... yes, you can log into files but accessing HDD is extremly slow, especially in the case when you need to log every rendering operation in DWM to see what really happen. So logging into window is much faster here and does not stress your HDD. (And I should also mention that many people install this into folder where DWM cannot write)

If a debugging window is necessary in some ways to see what's going on, so be it. Although if it were me, I think if anyone wants to use a version where they've removed the debugging window, I'd let them, on the basis that any issues they have is their own responsibility. So if they come and say "I don't like X", just tell them "use the debugging version or I can't/won't help".

We're still turning in a circle. So again, look at this: you develop something just for fun in your free time and you decide that you show the current status to the public. Some people says "it looks nice/bad", "I would improve this and that" - it is good behaviour. But many people only start to shout "This application disturbs me", "I cannot play games when I run it" etc. So what do you think of? Why the hell they are using this application if it annoys them, it was not intended for them!

If people don't like the intended functionality in some way, or a necessary consequence of having it running (it doesn't use zero resources) that's their problem. I just don't think a message box is the right way of dealing with those people. It's kind of a blunt instrument that also annoys people who just want to legitimately test it / are willing to accept any consequences of them running it.

A bit like how a lot of DRM annoys people who paid for some software and makes them not want to use it.

Anyways, recoded this from scratch with a ghetto method to hide the MessageBox window permanently as long as the app is running in the background (it will still briefly pop up in UAC message but whatever).

Oooh thats neat-o. Shame there is no Hide tray icon though, but much better implementation and I have UAC disabled so :D

Is it normal that the messagebox is still visible for a sec?

Edited by Blackbird256

Oooh thats neat-o. Shame there is no Hide tray icon though, but much better implementation and I have UAC disabled so :D

Is it normal that the messagebox is still visible for a sec?

Yeah, I didn't want to spam ShowWindow too much so it displays briefly for a sec then disappears until you reboot or get an UAC message.

If a debugging window is necessary in some ways to see what's going on, so be it. Although if it were me, I think if anyone wants to use a version where they've removed the debugging window, I'd let them, on the basis that any issues they have is their own responsibility. So if they come and say "I don't like X", just tell them "use the debugging version or I can't/won't help".

But this is what I said many times and people were still shouting. Next time, I will not put message box there and I will ensure that Aero Glass stops working after 1 hour completely, or maybe I will present screenshot only. Maybe, everyone will then realize that this is preview only.

As I said many times, I have no problem if anyone cracks it or do anything with it on his computer, I just see a bit rude to to publish any cracking methods in public forum next to the official AG thread.

The good way of non-cracking I see the utility which adds ability to enable/disable Aero Glass in context menu. You either want to test Aero Glass, so you enable it. Or you want to play games(or do other work), so you disable it. This is very good solution. But of course, many people don't like it because they want to have unlimited fully-working version and that's why they shout.

Current state of this crack seems to be acceptable to me too. If someone installs any software which uncontrollably spam windows message queue and kernel message queue then it's balanced solution :-)

Edited by bigmuscle

Know what, bigmuscle? I don't blame you for being slightly p'd off. Of course it's your work, but you did make it open source ...

Sorry, I didn't read your post completely just because my application is not open source.