Silent Aero Glass Reloaded [Works with RC4]

Games that are windowed full-screen such as the quake and the source engine will still cause the messagebox to popup. And I'm too lazy to toggle off aero glass every time I start up a game. Anyways, this is merely a proof of concept for semi-advanced users who want to disable that messagebox and was originally made just for myself. So yeah, it's not like I'll keep it up to date every time bigmusicle fixes it, and the average user is not going to be able to use it easily. It's up to the community what to do with this, and that's why I made it opensource.

RC3 stopped working for me since the last Win8 update, so I decided to finally update this to RC4.

Updated and tested on RC4, this should also fix crashing issues with some programs.

https://bitbucket.org/francesco149/silent-ag/downloads

NOTE: this is only compatible with RC4+!

See this post for an insight on how I updated it

Edited by francesco149

Thanks dude. I'll test that :thumbup

Hmm after testing for a while it seems to shut down aero glass after some time, does this happen to you guys as well? Working on a solution atm. There might be checks on the returns address of the API to check for hooks or something.

Thank you, now testing and I'll tell you if something goes wrong :)

EDIT: Yes, it disables by itself after about 30mins

Ah, by the way, having read the discussion above: The same way as it's legal to autoclick, it's allowed to hook Windows API calls, it's our computers and we mute boxes if we want to.

Moreover, it does not prevent users from reporting issues encountered when using Aero Glass for Win8, that's even the opposite, it allows to test it on a daily basis: that's a release candidate after all.

Edited by ORelio

Thank you, now testing and I'll tell you if something goes wrong :)

EDIT: Yes, it disables by itself after about 30mins

Ah, by the way, having read the discussion above: The same way as it's legal to autoclick, it's allowed to hook Windows API calls, it's our computers and we mute boxes if we want to.

Moreover, it does not prevent users from reporting issues encountered when using Aero Glass for Win8, that's even the opposite, it allows to test it on a daily basis: that's a release candidate after all.

Okay, I'm looking for a solution. Will let you guys know.

I must admit that this whole thing is a bit funny. The real reason why I added this messagebox was just an experiment to test users how they behaves if they get something for free. And you can see something weird which I haven't mentioned yet:

a) users are complaining about half-an-hour/once-an-hour messagebox, but the period between each popup is not half an hour and it's not either once an hour. The period is much much longer.

B) request to display messagebox is sent during the request to draw glass frame. And these requests don't come when desktop is not visible - e.g. you are playing the game etc.

Isn't it weird that users complain about something which doesn't exist in real?

What that obviously means is that people are not using the versions with the popup. Which also means you have fewer people testing it for actual bugs.

It just doesn't really make sense why you'd want that.

I must admit that this whole thing is a bit funny. The real reason why I added this messagebox was just an experiment to test users how they behaves if they get something for free. And you can see something weird which I haven't mentioned yet:

a) users are complaining about half-an-hour/once-an-hour messagebox, but the period between each popup is not half an hour and it's not either once an hour. The period is much much longer.

B) request to display messagebox is sent during the request to draw glass frame. And these requests don't come when desktop is not visible - e.g. you are playing the game etc.

Isn't it weird that users complain about something which doesn't exist in real?

What that obviously means is that people are not using the versions with the popup. Which also means you have fewer people testing it for actual bugs.

It just doesn't really make sense why you'd want that.

From what I observed in the past is that it is enough that program is somehow limited so people must crack it. Many times, they either don't know what they gain by cracking. And this is the same situation - I wrote a note about messagebox into the changelog thus people must complain about it and they must crack the application. When popup shows once a year, users will still complain that it disturbs them and will try to crack it.

I could also say that messagebox is one the things which can be easily cracked. As my utility injects into DWM I could easily render any message into desktop directly and it would not be possible to easily crack it. (Yeah, everything can be cracked but in such case it would be much easier to write glass rendering from the scratch)

I don't think the frequency even matters that much though. I mean, people get annoyed by Windows Update restart popups too, and you can delay them to 4 hours. (yes, you can delay them indefinitely by stopping the WU service, but most people don't know how).
And for the tradeoff of having aero glass vs having to deal with any amount of popups at all, most people just won't bother. It's less hassle even to just use Windows 7 instead.

You are wrong. If it was on startup only or once a year as you say noone would care, every hour is unacceptable. Not to mention it steals all the focus.

And that is what I said. The interval is not every hour - it is much much longer. Also, if no-one would care about startup-only, why users tried to crack startup-only message/background console when it was there in the first versions?

Umm there wasn't startup only in the first version? It was that cmd window wasting taskbar space and then messagebox. I don't know how you calculate it, but it was every hour for me and minimised fullscreen games.