Can't install MS Word Viewer

doveman

I've recently done a fresh install of Windows 7 x64 Ultimate and am going through installing the software. I've got to MS Word Viewer and it's throwing up error 1406 repeatedly, saying it can't write to Software\Microsoft\11.0\Common\

That key does exist under Current_User but the only thing under it is a key "PersonalMenu", none of the things that the installer is trying to write (LanguageResources, General, etc).

I found this http://support.microsoft.com/kb/838687t but I don't even have a C:\Users\All Users\Microsoft\Office let alone anything below it.

Have you checked permissions for the Registry?

From the KB you found:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/838687/en-us

This issue may occur if one of the following scenarios is true:

• The user who is installing the program, or the user who is opening the program or file does not have sufficient permissions to modify sections of the registry that is required to perform the action. The permission for the Everyone group of the registry subkey noted in the error message is not set to Full Control.
  • There is a third-party application on the system that is denying the required access to the registry subkey. In most cases, this behavior is caused by WebRoot Spysweeper.

Those are "generic" kind of possible issues.

The "full path" to the key (UNLIKE what stated in you post) should be:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Common

There may be another key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Common

which should be the one you found /but that is not seemingly the one creating the 1406 error)

jaclaz

Have you checked permissions for the Registry?

Those are "generic" kind of possible issues.

The "full path" to the key (UNLIKE what stated in you post) should be:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Common

There may be another key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Common

which should be the one you found /but that is not seemingly the one creating the 1406 error)

jaclaz

Yep sorry, typo there.

The CU key exists up to Common. The LM key ends at Office, with an Outlook subkey/folder.

Checking permissions on the latter (right-clicking on Office), it shows:

Creator Owner - Special

SYSTEM - Full Control + Read

Administrators - Full Control + Read

Users - Read

The user I'm operating with is in the Administrators group.

Checking permissions on the CU key (right-clicking on Common):

RESTRICTED - Read

SYSTEM - Full Control + Read

Ste - Full Control + Read

Administrators - Full Control + Read

Ste is the administrator user I'm operating with.

Is there a difficult part in:

• The user who is installing the program, or the user who is opening the program or file does not have sufficient permissions to modify sections of the registry that is required to perform the action. The permission for the Everyone group of the registry subkey noted in the error message is not set to Full Control.
  • There is a third-party application on the system that is denying the required access to the registry subkey. In most cases, this behavior is caused by WebRoot Spysweeper.

:unsure:

jaclaz

Is there a difficult part in:

:unsure:

jaclaz

No but I wasn't sure I should start creating user permissions where they don't already exist, in case there's some security risk from giving Everyone Full Control to keys (I presume there's a reason why the entire registry doesn't just already give Everyone Full Control). :unsure:

No but I wasn't sure I should start creating user permissions where they don't already exist, in case there's some security risk from giving Everyone Full Control to keys (I presume there's a reason why the entire registry doesn't just already give Everyone Full Control). :unsure:

Sure, there is a whole family of Virus/Malware that arbitrarily change Office related keys in the Registry if the user is so reckless as to change the permission of a specific Office related key.

Seriously, make a backup of the Registry, try setting that key to "Everyone", and see IF that is the cause (it is one of the possibilities, not necessarily the real reason).

IF that is NOT the cause, THEN you restore the backup and have NOT to worry about the altered permissions.

jaclaz