Memory problems with Win 3.11

TmEE

I installed Win3.11 on one of my old computers. Everything was pretty smooth except I started getting errors about not having enough extended memory after I installed graphics drivers for the Ati Rage3D II.

The computer has 256MB RAM, and DOS 6.2 nicely tells 64MBytes is available which should be plenty for 3.11.

I also have installed TCP/IP and IE2.0. Only way I can get windows to boot is to use the /N command line switch (don't load network drivers).

What can be done around the not enough memory error ?

EMM386 I am not using, but HIMEM.SYS is whatever MS-DOS 6.2 has. I shall import the file from 98SE and report back.

EDIT: 98SE version of HIMEM.SYS did not make a difference.

Edited by TmEE

EMM386 I am not using, but HIMEM.SYS is whatever MS-DOS 6.2 has. I shall import the file from 98SE and report back.

EDIT: 98SE version of HIMEM.SYS did not make a difference.

It's a pity it didn't. :(

But do keep it, anyway. It's one variable less to worry about. All HIMEM.SYS versions are indifferent to DOS version, so the latest (98SE's) is the one that should be always used. It's also the less buggy extant version, having no major known bug.

Setting VCache did not seem to help nor did WFWFILES. I will go through the nice page later, it had lots of cool stuff in it. I am using WfW 3.11

Can you show your config.SYS and auto exec.bat files?

I'm wondering if your computer is complaining about conventional memory? (That below 640k)

Send us the results of mem/c/p

Regards

Tony

Windows error explicitly says "extended memory". I got over 600KB of conventional memory and around 65MB of extended memory shown.

Removing TCP/IP protocol in enough to get windows bootable again. I read about a version on NT 3.51 CD that has built in TCP/IP, I wonder how well will that behave...

There's more! Try applying tcp32b.exe, too. It seems it complements WFWFILES. It's mentioned in KB99891 and in KB122544:

NOTE: When you upgrade to TCP/IP-32 3.11b, you should also update your Windows for Workgroups operating system with the files found on the Windows NT version 3.51 CD-ROM. This update is necessary to logon to a Windows NT domain over routers when using TCP/IP-32 3.11b. These files are also available on various electronic services in the self-extracting file, WFWFILES.EXE. For additional information, please see the following article in the Microsoft KB 133255: README.TXT: Windows for Workgroups Update Files

I gave up on the machine for now so I can continue a certain experiment involving Yamaha sound drivers.

I will return once again when I'll put some new life to the 386 that sits under my 486. Then I'll be starting with the version on 3.51 CD.

Then I'll be starting with the version on 3.51 CD.

You mean Win NT 3.51? Well, that sure has more chance of yielding a stable system faster and quite interesting results overall... There's a lot of work on NT 3.51 and 4.0 by bearwindows which you may find of interest. I'll try to find some links to that and then I'll get back to you.