Is Win9x pretty much through?

ZortMcGort11

What are people's thoughts on this?

Besides a literal handful of apps that I regularly check for updates, there's basically nothing "new" to add, or improve upon my existing system. The state it's in right now, is probably the state it will stay, until it eventually is not Internet worthy anymore. And then after that, if for some reason USB 2.0 storage devices go the way of the floppy disk, there will be even less I'll be able to do with this rock. I doubt using CD-R discs would be a practical way of exchanging files/documents or conducting any sort of business.

So, until the last KernelEx browser is no longer safe, or until I can't use the USB 2.0 media, my computer is haning on by a thread. My computer is quickly approaching Windows 3.1 territory.

And if anybody cares, the apps I'm still following for Windows ME are: 7zip, New-View Graphics Viewer, Trout Audio Player, ClamWin, XMPlay, Imagine graphics viewer, and PhotoFiltre.

I've given up on IrfanView, FastStone, and XnView... at least on Windows ME... the previous versions seem to work faster, without all the useless bells and whistles.

Sorry, sort of rambing there...

Lastly, does anybody know if a document I type using AbiWord 2.4.6 (last version for Win9x) or Abiword 2.6.8 (KernelEx version), can it be opened by people using Microsoft Office. In case I need to send out resumes or some such thing. I'm in a predicament trying to find a word processor that at least can send nice looking documents, I'm not really worried about opening things though.

I've sent resumes out using RTF format, using either wordpad, Jarte, or Abiword, but the margins and stuff never seem to come out right when printed. So I won't continue to use RTF format because it's lousy. I think Win9x uses an obsolete RTF version which doesn't translate well to newer ones.

Anyways, all opinion are welcome from my fellow Win9x users.

Okay, have a nice day.

Edited by LostInSpace2012

I still use mainly Office 97 on both 9x and XP, and I'm quite happy with it. Office 2k is also all right (I've got it on two machines). On XP, both accept the 2007 compatibility pack so that even the newer .???x (like .docx) can be opened all right. For 97 this is an undocumented fact .

I still use mainly Office 97 on both 9x and XP, and I'm quite happy with it. Office 2k is also all right (I've got it on two machines). On XP, both accept the 2007 compatibility pack so that even the newer .???x (like .docx) can be opened all right. For 97 this is an undocumented fact .

Thanks for that one, had no idea :thumbup

- there's basically nothing "new" to add, or improve upon my existing system.

- until it eventually is not Internet worthy anymore.

- if for some reason USB 2.0 storage devices go the way of the floppy disk

- or until I can't use the USB 2.0 media

- So, until the last KernelEx browser is no longer safe

- my computer is haning on by a thread.

- My computer is quickly approaching Windows 3.1 territory.

I've condensed your ideas into a handful of points. In some ways, what you are thinking about applies to the computer as we know it - the desktop or laptop computer - regardless which version of windows it has. Sales of this type of information appliance or productivity tool are falling each year.

I have a 15-year-old toaster. I can toast a small variety of items with it. I can't do anything new with it any more. Does that concern me? Does that make me consider replacing it with something else? A toaster-oven that's bigger, requires more space, more complicated to use? No.

Looking at your points above, regarding USB 2 media (for me, USB 2 media = thumb drives), I have no worries that USB 2 thumb drives will get cheaper over the next 5 years, and if I don't already have a "lifetime supply" of them now, I certainly will soon enough.

You mention a "safe" browser. I've hit many malicious websites that try to perform browser exploits with my win-98/Kex/FF-2 systems, usually on purpose, and watch as those exploits fail to execute properly. For the past 3 years at least, I have no concerns at all about my systems being vulnerable to web-based exploits, and I run no AV/AM software at all.

You know there has been a spam campaign for months now, giving links to "fedex delivery receipts" or "american airlines ticket" receipts. The spam contains links to .zip files. I download the files, unzip the contents (ticket_receipt.exe) -> AND I've RUN THE PROGRAMS on my system. Guess what - they fail with "illegal operation".

You mention various software.

For me, every win-98 system has MS Office 2k premium SR1, Coreldraw 9, VLC, Firefox 2, uTorrent, and a few others. I have hundreds of programs that I've downloaded and installed, used once or twice, and have never used again.

As much as I use my systems for office and personal productivity, I also need them to work as internet-access appliances. In that regard I will be concerned when FF2 fails to render the majority of websites I visit. So far, FF2 works perfectly fine.

I loved my Windows 98 SE computer but gave it up about 2 months ago for Windows XP.

There were several websites I couldn't use because newer javascript wouldn't run.

I had to go to library to access those sites.

So it really depends what you use your computer for. If you can do everything you want to do.

Google

convert to pdf

Many/most companies accept resumes that way. I have no clue what you mean by "margins and stuff".

depends what you use your computer for
Well, yeah, and depending the PC specs and your budget (try eBay for some older stuff - suggestions given, others found all over MSFN for alternatives, including Browsers "that work"), if you REALLY think Win9x is "dead", then go ahead and put yours out of its misery. ;) (This is eerily starting to look like another "x Is Dead/Not Dead topic...)

Lastly, does anybody know if a document I type using AbiWord 2.4.6 (last version for Win9x) or Abiword 2.6.8 (KernelEx version), can it be opened by people using Microsoft Office. In case I need to send out resumes or some such thing. I'm in a predicament trying to find a word processor that at least can send nice looking documents, I'm not really worried about opening things though.

I've sent resumes out using RTF format, using either wordpad, Jarte, or Abiword, but the margins and stuff never seem to come out right when printed. So I won't continue to use RTF format because it's lousy. I think Win9x uses an obsolete RTF version which doesn't translate well to newer ones.

There are still valid version of OpenOffice available:

http://www.oldapps.com/openoffice.php

you may want to install ONLY the "word like" program "writer".

I am not familiar with Abiword, but I peesume that even in older versions does produce a "compatible" .doc format.

Alternatively there are other tools capable of creating a .doc compatible document, I remember that Atlantis Nova as an excellent freeware:

http://www.321download.com/LastFreeware/page14.html

particularly because it is "tiny".

jaclaz

Well, the INITIAL question/topic was misleading (rambling and all). Question was REALLY about DOC for a Resume. That being said...

OpenOffice (more than likely) = :thumbup

(DUH! And jaclaz to the rescue! :yes: )

Thanks for that one, had no idea :thumbup

No problem. I actually posted about it here, but anything posted in the Office forum usually remains unnoticed, unless one is talking about the very latest version... And, of course, it's too bad the 2007 compatibility pack files themselves don't work in 98SE (although (i) I didn't try to transplant the actually installed files from XP to 98SE, and (ii) I don't use KernelEx). I think .NET 2.0 may also be needed (and I don't have any .NET installed on 98SE either).

I meant that Win9x is through, not exactly that my particular computer is through. Perish the thought. :-) Yes, it's like a good faithful toaster, but eventually I won't be able to adjust how "brown" I want my toast.

By margins and stuff... I meant that the text didn't appear to wrap correctly, instead the line just continued to absolute edge of the page. It looked like something typed in Edit or another DOS program. It looked fine on my computer, but when people printed them on their newer machines, my resume looked like something from 1985.

I never knew about that Word 97 - 2007 compatibility pack. That's interesting. I always thought Word 97 was the best. Cool, Dencorso, thanks.

Is this file below all I need? Well, and Word 97 of course.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=3

I'll give that open office a try sometime as well. thanks.

Lastly, nobody knows if the default Abiword format (.abw) can be opened by MS Office? I guess I can just try this at the library sometime.

Edited by LostInSpace2012

You may feel that way, and it may seem like that on this forum, but it isn't. There are probably hundreds of people who lurk here who run these systems, governments and research agencies with prehistoric hardware, and other assorted "terrors." You just have to look at the guests on page - I've counted up to 15 on some days, with the norm around 5-10.

As for internet connectivity, who cares how "dated" your browser is? I still use Firefox 3.6.3 at school on my Windows XP desktop, and here at home on my Windows 2000 desktop. Aside from the newer Office365 stuff (and only a very small amount), it works fine. Internet Explorer 5.5, SP2 is still a solid browser, and I actually PREFER it over SeaMonkey on Windows 98SE.

There are people who will have used the utilities here to get a stable 9x installation on Virtual PC and run games, or fix ailing machines for clients. I know of an elderly couple who still use their two 98 machines (not on the net, by the way) for some card games as well as typing and the like.

Whilst development might have stopped, this is only because it may not be worth catering for "us." Office 97-XP are still viable choices for 9x, and are arguably FAR better than the Ribbon-based versions now. As I type this on my Macbook Pro, I will mention I use Office 2011 - which is the Mac version of Office 2010. Thank goodness M$ still gave the "better" crowd full menus and customization! I just CANNOT find my way through Office 2010, I really cannot, since I still rely on the menus so much for my work.

And remember, so long as Windows XP hangs around, we may still be in luck with KernelX applications - XP won't be dead for another 5-10 years yet, unless M$ infects them all with Spyware/Trojans etc, which is highly unlikely (and remember AVG still supports Win2K/XP/Vista/7/8).

Thats my 2 cents.

I never knew about that Word 97 - 2007 compatibility pack. That's interesting. I always thought Word 97 was the best. Cool, Dencorso, thanks.

Is this file below all I need? Well, and Word 97 of course.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=3

Observe that I said the 2007 compatibility pack works OK with Office 97 on Windows XP SP3. All the info needed is on this thread and on this other thread, too.

I meant that Win9x is through<snip>
Sorry, I don't get it. KEX is ongoing, isn't it?
What are people's thoughts on this?
if you REALLY think Win9x is "dead", then go ahead and put yours out of its misery. ;) (This is eerily starting to look like another "x Is Dead/Not Dead topic...)
PLEASE don't start ANOTHER bash/nobash topic. :no: It'll be "through" when NOBODY posts in the subforum EVAH, true enough (barring another "opinion" topic)?