Where can I unload this Windows 98 SE PC ?

BecomingThin

My PIII machine is now my personal web/storage server sitting in a corner in my livingroom. Takes less than 50W of power and can do all the tasks it is meant to... also runs 98SE :)

Wish I had never given away my DX66 10 yrs ago. sad.gif Now I'm looking for another one. People are selling those for good money now. :}

huh.gif Recently gave one (two?) up to recycle for $5USD each. And a 386.

Some people end up all nostalgia and want to go back. There's just something about using old software on small CRT monitors with less colors, or maybe a purple blob in the corner of your screen. DOS4GW errors, and taking an hour to install something from your 2X CD drive. :w00t:

• 3 weeks later...

I have an old Pentium Pro 200MHz HP Vectra XA that I still use on a semi-regular basis. I love the way it sounds when it starts up, it's just so classic. I really enjoy how robust systems were back then, so solid and heavy. Now computers generally feel like cheap, flimsy pieces of crap. I bet if I dropped my Vectra on the floor, it would suffer only minor damage and still work (aside from the shock on the hard drive maybe), but new computers are so cheap plasticy feeling that they don't feel very sturdy. I still prefer something older that is solid like a rock over something that feels like it'll fall apart the next time you touch it.

They are! If you get a computer that's more plastic than metal, you KNOW it's cheap. XD A new computer =/= better quality/better.

If anything, I hate the quality of CD/DVD drives in computers now. It seemed impossible to break one long ago, now it seems the newest ones get jammed all the time and the feeder doesn't even seem as strong and powerful as some of the older drives.

Edited by Tommy

Well I just keep mine around to remind me of the good years of computers, when you had to write programs in your notebook, and

two proccessors could only be used by few OSes. The thing has tons of plastic in it, but it is also extermly heavy compared to my bigger and newer machines.

...............................................................................................................................................................................................................

...............................................................................................................................................................................................................

Just for experimentation, with programming it is a fun thing to have around.

I know that feeling of crap, however. When you have a 100Mhz machine you can only run DOS programs on it. I was stupid however because had my Network card plugged into my primary machine ( which was vintage stuff ) siezed. That network card

had extra pins for all kinds of things, but did the job great. Speaking of auwsomeness just browsing thru the stuff, like my Amiga 2000 and

portable macronome suitcase computer ( before labtops ) makes me reapreciate the effort and respect that was put into computers.

Nowadays, computers are soo r-tarded, a woman could put it in her handbag, break it and buy another one, and play an MMORPG before and after it was broken in the same exact day. That is how loopy computers are today. I mean the poster child for the wall street kid is outspoken by the soccer mom talking on skype, about her world domination plans, while listening to her favorite band, while watching steaming movies, while downloading, while driving a car. Meanwhile somebody could be recording her actions.

Computers were sexy and beautiful, but not anymore. When i saw that desktop being advertised, and loaded Windows 98 for the first time, it felt like I was in a "Buck Rogers" flick. It was a mysterious world, of all kinds of amazements dealing with computers. However that soon turned into a dilbert situation, where you click click point point, and you realize your peers were animals, and your inside the cheap trap that was made for a bird. Now computers looks ( I mean newer models ), like crap. I purchase my crap, to make crap, to buy crap, and my crap breaks down, on the crap crap crap lane. Remember when televsions were made out of a wood, and you could put things on top of it??? Now they are flat and boring and you can't even play duck-hunt, most of them have that god forsaken wdiescreen.

That in a nutshell is how I look at computers nowadays.

When you have a 100Mhz machine you can only run DOS programs on it.

Well, that's not true. I remember well Windows 95 on Pentium 90 of my friend, and even NT4 (or may be 95 too, but more likely NT4) on 486 in institute where I studied. Now I still have working Pentium 133 with Windows 98 installed and recently I even visited msfn website using this PC :)

If to talk about nostalgia, I think that we all think it was better some time ago only because we were younger some time ago. PCs are the same - we like our first ones more just because they were the first. I doubt that we would really prefer to have old PCs instead of modern (I prefer to have both :) )

Edit: oh, and I forgot to mention that I read about Windows XP successfully booted on Pentium Overdrive downclocked to 20 MHz. So, 100 MHz should be enough :)

And there also were Windows 3.x requiring far less resources.

Edited by M()zart