Where can I unload this Windows 98 SE PC ?

BecomingThin

You will probably tell me this is the wrong place to post this.

But this is my last hope before I give to recyclers.

Does anyone want my old Windows 98 SE computer, which I have been using until about 2 months ago when I got an XP computer.

The computer works well but has malware. You might be able to get rid of the malware or repurpose the computer for linux, etc.

But you have to pick it up in Milwaukee, WI

:ph34r:

Not allowed to sell OR give away any parts on MSFN.

13. No user shall, by any means:

1 - Sell, trade, or give away hardware, software, or any other goods whatsoever.

Rescind the offer. Reload it and play with it. Hook the HDD as Secondary to your XP and scan for viruses to "clean" it. Usually, (if an OEM) the "CABS" folder is in the "Windows\Options" folder with all you need to reinstall. Just pull the folder off to "elsewhere" (as secondary HDD?) and format/reinstall. ;)

OR recycle for (around here) $5... :(

Put your computer up for sale here:

http://milwaukee.ebayclassifieds.com/

List it as zero dollars. You don't need to register in order to post, but you do need to give a working e-mail address. Most likely, it will be someone that will strip out the large metal parts for recycle value, so the machine will be trashed one way or another.

submix8c wrote:

>13. No user shall, by any means:

> 1 - Sell, trade, or give away hardware, software, or any other goods whatsoever.

I seem to recall that some of that does indeed happen here once in a while - customized $oftware that gives win98 certain abilities to access large amounts of ram, advanced chipset and sata drivers, etc.

@Nomen - You are incorrect.

Generally speaking, those are LINKS to "software" elsewhere. Created Scripts/Code is allowed (compiling/using them is in your hands). Instructions on "How To" as long as it's not a (e.g.) EULA (read the WHOLE set of rules) circumvention is allowed - example=HackedSETUPLDR. This is within the boundaries. Also see "Member Contributed Projects"...

Otherwise, they are NOT attached, which DIRECTLY involves MSFN. Also IF it is a "crack" (regardless of where it may be) or non-Distributable code, you risk IMMEDIATE ban.

SOME links will be to a country NOT required to adhere to "certain software" (depending on what it is). MSFN is located in the U.S. and MUST abide by U.S. law.

Therefore, there WILL be "grey areas" and up to the Moderators/Supervisors to discuss and act accordingly.

AGAIN, read ALL of the rules. ;)

You have guided the OP to a reasonable alternative to the Ban-Hammer thus changing the Topic to "Where can I unload this PC". :yes::thumbup

Edited by submix8c

I was lurking this thread and wanted to post something a couple weeks ago about trying NOT to send this perfectly good working PC to the dumpster / recycler. So I too am glad you found someone to donate it to. Let's hope this "someone" won't actually scrap the PC and actually have it put to good use... as a working PC of course, not 'good use' as in "scrap metal", heh. I myself try to keep "old" PC's in working order. I have Pentium-class motherboards from the mid to late 1990's still running in my office. Good for working office apps like Office 97, et al. I try to upgrade them to the max (versus what specs they originally were when they were bought new as factory spec) to get a little more years out of them, so in effect saving tens of thousands of dollars for newer systems. Of course I have some new systems, built for XP and 7, etc, so it really depends if you need newer systems or not.

Of course, that common "Law of Usefulness" usually states that "the older the [computer] system, the less useful it becomes in the future", which means that the 8088/86's systems I still have don't get much power-on status than my later systems. Nice for playing older games and DOS stuff though. :)

I was lurking this thread and wanted to post something a couple weeks ago about trying NOT to send this perfectly good working PC to the dumpster / recycler. So I too am glad you found someone to donate it to. Let's hope this "someone" won't actually scrap the PC and actually have it put to good use... as a working PC of course, not 'good use' as in "scrap metal", heh. I myself try to keep "old" PC's in working order. I have Pentium-class motherboards from the mid to late 1990's still running in my office. Good for working office apps like Office 97, et al. I try to upgrade them to the max (versus what specs they originally were when they were bought new as factory spec) to get a little more years out of them, so in effect saving tens of thousands of dollars for newer systems. Of course I have some new systems, built for XP and 7, etc, so it really depends if you need newer systems or not.

Of course, that common "Law of Usefulness" usually states that "the older the [computer] system, the less useful it becomes in the future", which means that the 8088/86's systems I still have don't get much power-on status than my later systems. Nice for playing older games and DOS stuff though. :)

Wish I had never given away my DX66 10 yrs ago. :( Now I'm looking for another one. People are selling those for good money now. :}

Wish I had never given away my DX66 10 yrs ago. :( Now I'm looking for another one. People are selling those for good money now. :}
:huh: Recently gave one (two?) up to recycle for $5USD each. And a 386.

I just donated my old 866 MHz pentium III to the recyclers... I'm sure they just scrapped it. Hard drive was probably useable, but everything else I think they just toss. The guy working there told me they simply throw away the PC-100 sd ram. They don't even keep that anymore.

Wish I had never given away my DX66 10 yrs ago. sad.gif Now I'm looking for another one. People are selling those for good money now. :}

huh.gif Recently gave one (two?) up to recycle for $5USD each. And a 386.

:blink: Just goes to show you, you can pick one up for little to nothing if you know where to look, or go to ebay and pay a couple hundred $ :o

I too still use my 1 GHz Pentium III. Actually I have two of them, same make/model, acquired over a decade ago, free from the company I used to work for (it was a promotion campaign for employees). One runs 98SE for web browsing, files, etc. The other one is in the living room, running Win 2k as a home theater pc, connected to a digital projector.

Fortunately I kept 486's. I upgraded one and is also running in the office, at the front desk no less, heh. Another is a 486SX laptop, but at only 4 MB system memory (and no way to increase it), it's a little difficult to make it run anything but Win 3.11 (Win95 works, but very very limited in scope). I also have another 486, but it's actually a 286 motherboard with a 486 CPU.

Sometimes a better way for me to find computer stuff is at Goodwill (a U.S. thrift store). I've found motherboards, monitors, harddrives, graphics/sound cards, DIMMs, hubs/switches, USB stuff, you name it. Of course you have to dig through all the crap. Thus in some ways it's more convenient and cheaper than finding stuff on eBay/Internet (i.e. no ship fees, no ship time), but that is sometimes balanced out that what you might get might need some fixing if you know how to. I had to fix an LCD monitor by replacing the caps that feed the backlight. Other than that I've been satisfied.