On KB2839229...

Monroe

dencorso ... the KB2839229 update (June 2013) that you mentioned in an earlier post may be a bad update that has been pulled by M$. I checked the M$ updates again this morning and it no longer shows up on the list of required updates for my setup. When I downloaded all the updates earlier to save, the KB2839229 was included but I no longer see it listed today. Perhaps someone else can verify this. I have found a few mentions of people having several problems with XP after the update has been installed. I don't apply most of the updates automatically anymore ... stopped in March but I still save all of them by the month in case I might want to apply them at sometime in the future. Perhaps you or someone else can verify that the KB2839229 is bad. I am no expert on M$ updates.

1st Search Find:

Update KB2839229 downloads and installs but I'm repeatedly asked to install it

On Windows XP, Windows Update notified me to download KB283929. It appeared to download normally; when it asked me to install, it appeared to install and I got the quot;installation complete!quot; notice. Within a minute or two, the quot;Updates are ready for your computerquot; icon reappeared asking me to download the same Update. I have completely shut down the computer 4 or 5 times over the past 2 days, but this has continued. (I did try to download and install 3 or 4 times, just in case.)

Reply:

I heard that this update has had an error, causing many XP/Win7 users to have BS (bluescreen) upon startup, and the system could not enter. Best not to update this first.

----------------------------------------------

2nd Search Find:

Never Ending Windows Update

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?p=1824953

I am running XP home on my notebook and recently there was an update that shows it was downloaded and installed, then 5 seconds later the yellow shield pops and tells me I have an update waiting. I've googled this for hours and none of the advice I've read and tried has worked so far. I cannot make this thing stop. It happened before a few months ago and I simply told Windows Update to ignore it and then it came back and even though its still listed in the ignored updates, it is still trying to download and install. I can't make it stop. I've read that it has to do with .NET Framework, so I followed a lot of different advice, including uninstalling it, downloading the latest version directly from Microsoft Download site yet that still hasn't worked. I've attempted to use Microsoft FixIt, and everytime I do, it tells me I need to have Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 or higher installed...I DO...I HAVE 4.0 NOW AND THE (*$*%%^**& THING STILL WON'T WORK!!!

Does anybody have a solid correction for this nightmare?! The download in question is KB2839229.

Reply:

There's a page that I found that's in Chinese and I used Google translate in Firefox to translate the page.

They recommend that you don't install the June patch because of a design flaw in the patch.

Kingsoft Security also causes problems with this patch unless it's got the latest update.

Some have reported BSODs upon reboot after installing the patch.

What the Chinese page recommends you do is boot into safe mode, go into Remove Programs, select the patch and uninstall it.

As far as the Microsoft "FixIt", did you run the one for Windows Update?

I run XP Pro on my Dell Precision M70. When it comes to Update Tuesday, I don't rely on Windows Update. Instead, I use IE and go to the Microsoft Update site and select "Custom" from the two choices. I get a list of High Priority updates, Optional Updates and Hardware Updates that I can select on an individual basis and either choose to install them OR select "Do Not Show This Update Again".

Also, I've got Automatic Updates set to notify me when updates are ready but don't download or install them.

I downloaded and installed the patch and didn't have any problems. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a definitive answer. But, hopefully, the above suggestions may help.

Edited by duffy98

@duffy98 -

Per this - http://xdot.tk/updates.html#changelog

WindowsXP-KB2813170-x86-ENU.exe replaced by WindowsXP-KB2839229-x86-ENU.exe
It replaced a previous update. Interestingly, I used the "Custom" option in Windows Update (on an older install) and the REPLACED one showed up in the list. One might "assume" your correct in your "assumption" that it has been pulled due to a FURTHER bug list in the KB article beyond the "Kingston" snafu. Perhaps it was found that ANY antivirus buggered it. :blink:

side note - links

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2839229

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-windows_update/recurring-window-update-kb2839229/49ec2c6a-9682-473e-ae5c-78a609258eda

http://www.errordetails.com/238894/constantly-offered-update-kb2839229

http://qnundrum.com/answer.php?q=692348

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2813170 <-The previous one

MAY be best to "back up" to the previous update/s? :unsure: It seems that even THAT one had a problem.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-windows_update/windows-update-keeps-wanting-to-install-kb2813170/7723e68f-1cb3-4595-a495-2c5806391dd9

FWIW, take a look at P#2 of the above and find "Stephen Hogan replied on June 2,2013".

submix8c ... there isn't much information currently floating around about KB2839229 possibly being a bad update except for what I posted earlier and the one mention was in Chinese with a Google translate. Read your links and that's basically what dencorso said earlier about the update from 12 February 2013 (KB2799494) being superceded by KB2839229.

Have to see what dencorso might have to say or anyone else if they find some information. As I said in my last post ... I am no expert with M$ updates but when there is a bad update released does not M$ put a statement out warning people who might already have it installed or do they just keep quiet about it? ... bad publicity and all that ... I would imagine they would pull it from the update site immediately and then do a fixed new release.

[...] when there is a bad update released does not M$ put a statement out warning people who might already have it installed or do they just keep quiet about it? ... bad publicity and all that ... I would imagine they would pull it from the update site immediately and then do a fixed new release.

It all depends on how "bad" the update is, how much publicity the bad update gets, and how badly MS gets raked over the coals for it.

Cheers and Regards

Well, just pointing out that "for some strange reason" the latest one (dencorso and -X-) wasn't offered via Windows Update "Custom" (AutoUpdates turned "OFF"). Guess I could install the one that WAS offered (the superseded - see Xdot link) and see if the LATEST gets offered. I'll do another "test case" since I'm about to mass-update a friend's PC. :ph34r:

submix8c ... yes that's the way I get my updates to download and save to a DVD ... in case I might want them someday when XP is officially dropped. I usually have AutoUpdates turned off in Services but turn it on when I go to the M$ update site and then hit the Custom button and see what new updates are available or required for my XP setup. Then I take the KB number and put that into Google as "KB----------- XP download" ... I get the M$ download that way and burn all the updates for that month to my M$ Update DVD ... the KB2839229 was in the list of updates when I did that around 10 days ago ... but yesterday and doing a double check today, the KB2839229 update is no longer showing up as a required download for my computer.

Edited by duffy98

Do *NOT* create and divulge urban myths! :realmad:

All recent security updates concerning the Windows Kernel remain available for download. They were *NEVER* pulled out by MS after their original release!

Here are direct download links for them: WindowsXP-KB2839229-x86-ENU WindowsXP-KB2813170-x86-ENU WindowsXP-KB2799494-x86-ENU

I have installed each, on the day they were released, using the QFE branch, and neither ever gave me any problem.

The issue with Kingsoft software products is real, but it's solved by updating the problem software. This is discussed at lenght in the "known issues" section of KB2839229

(@duffy98: a link I had already provided to the KB document, so you'd be aware of that issue and its solution, had you taken the trouble to read it!)

BTW: How many actual users of Kingsoft software products do you know of? Do any of you all actually use them? Yet MS may have suspended offering that update to avoid the crapstorm, since it'd be installed automatically for most users (because the default state of auto-updates is on, you know).

The "Never Ending Windows Update" issue is another matter altogether: it's some kind of major janfu in the way "MS Update" and "Windows Update" detect that an update is already applied. It's known to have happened to different users with different updates at different times (mine is with KB982524...), so it has not anything to do with any particular update. When "MS Update" or "Windows Update" report the update was successful, then offers the same patch again, check that all files in the patch (they are listed in the KB) are present in the system, and are of the correct version, and then go to "MS Update" or "Windows Update", untick the problem update and hide it. And forget about it. As I said, it's just a major janfu in the way "MS Update" and "Windows Update", there's no reason *at all* to worry about it.

Dont worry, be happy! :yes:

@dencorso - OK, dude! I said i was testing the "theory" because I have (had) a totally clean install and am checking against WU to see what it offers.

Again, strangely it offers the PREVIOUS version. I've applied all updates EXCEPT that one/those, WMP9, IE8, a REG entry for KB2709162 (all it does), MSRT (yuk!), and WGA Notifications (also can be a REG entry), and ReVoKeROOTScertificates. Went back AFTER and those are the ones that show. The "theory" is stupid MS-Updates "sees" the PREVIOUS one BEFORE it will acknowledege the NEWER one.

OT - adapted a CMD script (from MSFN for Win7) to mass-update after "shuffling" some CABS form -X- UDC. So far, so good (will post in my How To Integrate).

OnT - just checking the "facts"... BTW, SOMETIMES those "nasties" occur to folks that "foolishly" up and "turn off" their PC because the silly thing is APPLYING updates (AutoUpdates) due to "confusion". Instructions on how to "clean" it's "brains" are rampant...

L8tr - storm a-brewing outside. :(

KB905074 WGA Notifications is just a nagging system, and is not required at all (I always hide it on "Win Update", on new installations), but it does install files, in addition to registry entries.

On the other hand the WGA Validation KB892130 is fundamental, but one always gets it while setting up "MS Update" or "Win Update", anyway.

OK ... I only started searching information on the KB2839229 update after it dropped off my earlier list of required June updates. Ten days ago I had 8 listed updates and now there are only 7 listed updates with KB2839229 being the update that disappeared or dropped off my list. My last MS updates that were installed were the March 2013 updates ... so my June update list includes Apr, May and June updates. Well, I wasn't questioning what you posted earlier, just wondering if there might be a problem with that particular update. Not going to worry about it ... I decided to install the 7 updates today and will see what the July updates are going to be.

Edited by duffy98

It's OK! :hello:

My point is we must do everything we can to avoid raising unnecessary alarms... there's plenty of necessary ones already.

I've got really nothing against proceeding cautiously, on the contrary, you know that.

And to wait at least one week before applying any new updates is wise. That way one avoids any jajor blorkups.

I usually don't wait because I do a full system back-up (by imaging) before every updade, which is just another way of being cautious, of course.

... and of falling back, whenever things go wrong! :yes:

Well now there is a mystery ... I decided this morning to go to the MS update site and run another check to see what might turn up. Now the KB2839229 update is listed as the "only" update that still needs to be downloaded and installed on my setup. I know it was not on that list of updates over the weekend but on Monday morning (today) it shows up as still required.

I am also puzzled about the download size ... at the MS update site it is listed as 331 KB in size ...

Security Update for Windows XP (KB2839229)

Typical download size: 331 KB , 1 minute

however, when I actually go get the download myself from MS to save, the download size is 2.2 MB ...

Date Published: 06/10/2013

Version: 2839229

File name: WindowsXP-KB2839229-x86-ENU.exe

File size: 2.2 MB

So I don't know ... it's not there to download one day and the next day it's there ... I did that update check three times over the weekend and it was not there. Any idea why the file size difference? I guess it was all a false alarm unless we hear something different. ... thanks

Edited by duffy98

WindowsXP-KB2839229-x86-ENU.exe is 2,269,856 bytes (2.16 MiB) long and has CRC-32 = 0BFC2236 and MD-5 = A4590A6465D1859014E01B8C7DE8E908...

MS may have temporarily suspended offering that update to avoid the crapstorm, due to the issue with Kingsoft software products, but may have resumed offering it again already...

I've just redownloaded KB2839229 and compared the files inside it to those I had installed just after Patch Tuesday, and they're identical, so MS did not revise the update silently (and, in any case, when MS does revise, they usually indicate it clearly by adding a number to the filename). So probably Kingsoft solved it from their end, maybe by pushing some auto-update or the like. All my comments on what MS and/or Kingsoft may have done are nothing more than guesswork on my part, I've got no information whatsoever on it.

Confirmed! :yes:

After installing all other Updates (disregarding MSRT) except KB2813170 (previous), KB2676562 (older) and KB2839229(latest), and instead using REG entries for both KB905474 (WGA Notification) and the "Kernel Mode Drivers" REG entry (see this and -X- UDC downloads), I STILL had both KB2676562 (Kernel Update/older - see link) AND KB2813170 (also Kernel Update/previous) still showing.

I went ahead and installed KB2813170 (previous) and LO AND BEHOLD the KB2676562 and (naturally) KB2813170 disappeared and ONLY the KB2839229 (latest) was offered.

So the conclusion is sound - Stupid MS Update "sometimes" ignores Latest and wants Superseded until installed THEN offers Latest. Now for fun - will uninstall the Superseded (previous) and install Latest.

AFAICT, there-is-no-problem. :thumbup

edit -

DOUBLE confirmed! Uninstall, MU says "two" (ignoring MSRT), install KB2839229 (latest) and all is well. ;) (hope I didn't mix this up much)

Bottom line - Use the LATEST and you'll never-ever-ever see any Superseded.

http://xdot.tk/updates.html

Will be creating a "post-install" set of Scripts for installing for folks that DON'T want to Integrate.

FUD is a terrible thing.

Edited by submix8c