Windows XP Update Remover Program

Monroe

Found this little program a couple of weeks ago for XP updates. It's a program to remove MS update backup files in the system, if you need to do so ... it also says it can actually remove a bad update, I have not tried that. However, I like to use it just to see what updates are installed. It will list the updates along with the date they were installed. I find it quicker to use than going into Control Panel / Add - Remove to check the installed updates. It's very small and very fast. As usual, I mention it here for anyone (like myself) that never heard of it and might like to try it out.

Windows XP Update Remover

http://windows-xp-update-remover.software.informer.com/

Publisher's description

Windows XP Update Remover provides a quick and easy way to delete the backup files left behind after every Windows update and reclaim valuable disk space. It can also remove Windows updates that appear to be causing trouble.

Whenever Windows Update runs to install security fixes and other updates to your system, it creates a folder within the Windows folder containing all the files replaced during the update.

Edited by duffy98

It is also worth mentioning that if you install a service pack then it backs up the old system files into this hidden folder under the Windows folder as well. This is why slipsteaminng a service pack into a Windows install source is a great advantage and as an alternative, installing a service pack using no backup switches so prevent the extra files in the hidden folder. There is a risk in the later on an unknown system but a major saver if known. The system file cache is another hidden folder that can be cleaned to slim down your install size. SFC.exe can get those files from your installation source so the system file cache is not needed, but rather a convenience. XP is about 1 GB installed yet about half as much if these extras are flushed from the file system.

OK, FWIW -

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wul.html

Several references to it on MSFN - google

wul site:msfn.org

Using this, you can list them, sort them by date Ascending (double-click "last modified), save to HTML, copy the Table into (e.g.) Word, remove the Rows in column "Uninstall Command" that are blank, delete ALL Columns except "Uninstall Command", Convert To Text, Rename to BAT or CMD, append "/quiet /norestart" to each line, and run it.

Haven't "automated" it but the method works, at least when using -X- updates (only). It appears to list quite a bit but not sure if it's complete. And NOT sure if it lists anything NOT using "SPUNINST.EXE" (those with Blank "Uninstall"?).

But thanks for a potential alternative. I'll have to check it out. It SHOULD allow for Uninstall Newest-To-Oldest just like the Add/Remove that "checks" for potential dependencies (the "warning" screen).

I'm not going to search right now, but there's a thread providing some Member Contributed methods of getting them as well (see Google above, maybe?).

Q - is that what prompted this thread? (just curious...)

MHz ... thanks for the info on some other things to check on my XP installation. I can experiment since I have an image backup just made a few days ago.

submix8c ... not sure if the question was for me or not, I guess so. I just came across the little program and decided to post about it. The program from NirSoft seems to be better with more information provided. I have downloaded it ... I am familiar with NirSoft software but I missed that one. Always good to have some of these programs handy. Thanks for mentioning it, maybe others will have use for it also.

Edited by duffy98