Computer seems to make a loud noise, Vista related

ROTS

It will ALWAYS (at least mine do) beep at least ONCE when you first turn it on (BEFORE windows)

This is rather normal for bios to beep once to alert of post processing. If it does not then you may know of an issue and where to look. Multiple beeps can also tell you where to look. You may already know this but I thought It was worth mentioning.

@ROTS

The symptoms seem like an issue with the sound device as beeping windows default sounds is what a PC does when no sound device is installed. This could be the sound device or perhaps the driver

for the device is of concern. If a sound card exists then reseating the sound card may help. A case that is too flexible can allow slotted cards to move and thus cause issues and can be a problem.

What is the main board make and model? What is the sound device if it is a card? What is the sound driver if not an integrated part of the main board driver?

If this is a main board with a bios not suitable for Windows Vista then that maybe the issue. Flashing the bios to a newer version may help if a newer version exists.

@MHz - yes, I know that (fairly hardware competent). the OP is not being clear (language barrier). And this is what they stated

I have tried the following. Turning off the internal noise speakers, disabling the "digital sound" which turned off the Windows sound but not the computers built in speaker.
1. I did unattach the speaker, but it is internal, speakers.
thus "implying" the Sound Card part "functions" (but maybe not?) and the Speakers were "unplugged" thus indicating where the "noise" was coming from.

Again, unclear and insufficient information.

Questions to OP -

1 - DOES your Normal External Speakers work (implying the Sound Drivers are installed and functional)

2 - If so, do they work CORRECTLY (you can play for example Music)

3 - If #1 and #2 are TRUE and the "noise" still occurs AND

3a - You unplug the Normal External Speakers AND

3b - You STILL have the "noise" then SOMETHING is "odd"

Searching the Forum I see NO SPECS on ANY of your Computers! I ONLY found THIS

The labtop is an HP pavillion P4[/quote}and THIS -
I have three mini-computers. One is newer. The other two are late 1990's ME/98/XP models.

DUDE! Are you SERIOUS? Give Specifications of the EXACT computer you have the problem with and CLARIFY or we CAN'T help you!

OT :ph34r: , but as always not much ;):

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/larryosterman/archive/2010/01/04/what-s-up-with-the-beep-driver-in-windows-7.aspx

And (in case of need), thanks to the "enhancements" above detailed:

http://www.waldbauer.com/tmp/reference.php

FREE: BEEPx (SPKRFIX)

This little VDD driver fixes a problem with the Windows 7 NTVDM where the PC Speaker output is not wrapped correctly. This may be due to the fact that the functionality of the BEEP.SYS System driver was moved to the Usermode Sound Agent. For further information, see the blog of Larry Osterman. This driver tries to fix the problem by hooking the NTVDM-Function resposible for the Beep (LazyBeep) and replace it with our own implementation that has various options to fix the Problem.

zip.gif

jaclaz

• 3 weeks later...

Problem sloved. The BIOS is a foxxcon bios, that matches the board. Deep within

the settings, is an alert feature to tell people when something goes wrong. In this case

you hear a loud annoying sound. Running heavy stuff, like 3d games, and harddrive

software or even chkdsk, makes the CpU and card works harder, and thus more heat???

When it hits 75, in degrees it starts to make the sound, current the computer stays at

66, and using my air condition it goes to 55. Then when it reaches near 80 the computer

tells the OS ( if it can ) to shutdown. That is exactly what occurs. The same with USB

stealing too much power.

So all this time I just had to go into the BioS and go to "PC health" and shut off the safeties.

Even if I set it to the highest degrees it still makes the sound. Just by loading a flash page it goes off

like crazy.

So the solution was a hardware/software solution. Thank you for those who had concern.

So all this time I just had to go into the BioS and go to "PC health" and shut off the safeties.

Even if I set it to the highest degrees it still makes the sound. Just by loading a flash page it goes off

like crazy.

No. :no:

All this time you should have provided better cooling to the system components. :realmad:

The "alarm" is there for a reason, and it is set to "75" for a reason :ph34r: , and unless it is triggered by a defect at a much lower temperature, it should stay ON and the components should be kept cooler than the set threshold.

The whole concept of safeties is that they should NEVER be removed/turned off, and when an alarm starts bugging you, you should remove the cause of the alarm, and not switch the alarm off, if not temporarily while trouble shooting (or if you really know where your towel is).

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

• 1 month later...

It is a -100 bucks computer, when it dies, I will just get another one. The one I had before that, caught a fire, when I had

three 250 + PSU computers hooked through one plug including the air conditioners. I know I need to get a correct cooling system but after dealing with the 1984 thought police, making a super hyper computer seems worthless nowadays.

The last time I was looking into a water cooling, or miniture air condition cooling, that I could sit inside the machine itself, but I need to have the corrrect PSU, and etc settings. Or I might get a mini-air conditioner for -500 bucks, which looks like a littel R2D2 unit that you can have in the living room but it runs on pre-charged batteries.

I use this computer for work basically, not for happy time.

Maybe you can install a cooling fan? (Or maybe an existing fan isn't working properly and needs replacing.)

Assuming that what you need is an additional fan (and not just a replacement fan), you could possibly either install it internally to blow on the part that gets the hottest (the CPU, probably) or you could leave the computer case open and blow a regular household fan into it. (I did that several months ago with one PC where the graphics card's built-in fan wasn't doing the job, and the problem hasn't come back.)

Also, if it's related to the CPU, it could be that the thermal paste is insufficient or needs changing. In my view, though, this involves "major surgery" and that has to be taken into account when deciding what to do. (OTOH, if it's just a $100 machine you might decide to change the thermal paste as practice.) I would start with the fan first and see if that takes care of the issue. They're not expensive.

Good luck with the problem.

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA