Computer seems to make a loud noise, Vista related

ROTS

So I had this machine for awhile now. Of course, newer programs are able to run on this machine, while a 32-bit model.

Think of the machine, being a regular computer, I can even run Windows 9X on it, along with DOS. However it has Vista loaded inside of it. 2Gigs of memory on one stick. 3Gig speed, 100MB or so HD.

The last time I heard a simular sound was when the BiOS, was removed but this sound is much deeper, longer and I just decided to remove the built in speaker. However the

built in "modem" speaker still makes the same sound. It also plays in a sorta timer until it heads into a long annoyying .................................................. Removing the speaker plug makes the sound softer but it is still annoying.

The built in sound ( more like annoying noisey alarm clock ) only plays once I start running a program, or briefly when the computer loads ( to let me know it is still their ) .

I have tried the following. Turning off the internal noise speakers, disabling the "digital sound" which turned off the Windows sound but not the computers built in speaker.

By built in, I am refering to the speaker that only turns on, for most DOS programs that have a built in sound. Some games, use the built in sound to make tunes. Even programs like "Win-ace" uses the bult in speaker to signal when a file is done being compressed or extracted. I believe this is the same built in speaker,

So far the sound is not doing anything else but annoying the living daylights out of me, and anybody else. First it plays at random, then it double, finally it triples and so forth until it is looooooonnnggggggggg annoying noise. Eventually it stops but only after an extremly long time. It is almost like if the sound has been planned on purpose

I think somebody gave the machine a virus, as the sound plays almost identical, everytime I launch a program.

So if anybody knows, what is it, and how to stop it, please tell me. It is insane, and needs to stop.

What I am hoping for, is to turn off all events to do with the internal modem speaker ( or whatever speaker ). I just do not understand why this thing just keeps going on and on.

[...] Removing the speaker plug makes the sound softer but it is still annoying. [...]

You unplug the speaker and yet it still makes a sound through it? How is that possible? If you don't otherwise need the internal speaker, then I would think you can just unplug/disconnect/remove the internal speaker and be done with it. It can't make any noise if it's not there. Of am I missing something? And I don't understand your comment about the BIOS. What does that have to do with this? You say that it is the "modem" speaker. Do you use the modem? If not, remove it. If you do, then there should be some way to turn the speaker off. Maybe it would help if you provided motherboard and modem part numbers, maybe with pictures showing which speaker is causing the noise?

Cheers and Regards

I am talking about the Internal speaker. On most PC towers built an internal speaker is built in, and you can hear it when

You play a DOS game that plays music and their is no other sound devices but the internal speaker.

You have a program like Winace, that takes advantage of the internal speakers ( beeps, blops etc sounds )

You have a modem and when it dails you can hear it make the phone sound to dail, X number.

However in this case the speaker is repeatively playing a loud annoying sound, that gets louder and louder and louder and never stops. This starts no matter what

program I run, So I can assume, it might be a proccess, that is triggered when I run a program.

Imagine any program you have installed, and then eventually a loud noise plays. It beeps like a door bell, over and over again, almost loud as a car horn. Eventually it keeps going and when you stop using the program the sound eventually stops. It does not fade, or is speciall efffects, just the same annoying sound, nonstop, like if somebody was pressing down a key on the worlds worst piano.

I am convinced it is a "Virus" or "Bug" that was launched in the computer from an installation, or bad webbrowsing, however I need to find the process that is causing this, or even the problem itself. I figure it is probably in the registery somewhere?????????

ALso by internal speaker, I am not talking about the big physical one. I am talking about the small one that the big one connect to. The big one can also be used to play

Windows music if connected to the right port, but I do not think that is available on the newer boards.

Edited by ROTS

My point was, that on many systems, if not most, even the internal speaker can be unplugged (usually from an internal header) or turned off, which might help you keep your sanity until you find what is causing the noise through the speaker.

Cheers and Regards

How about this, where in the registery, or configurations of VIsta could I disable all communication with the built in speakers?????

Sorry, I don't, and never have run Vista so I have no idea.

Cheers and Regards

@Kel

Reality check. :blink:

You walk down the street and find a baby crying loud.

What do you do?

1. Try and find what makes him cry so loud and remove the cause (JFYI it is a thorn in his left foot) :yes: .
  2. Call 911/Assistance :thumbup .
  3. Gag him before calling 911 or trying to find the cause. :unsure:
  4. Behead him. :w00t::ph34r:
  5. Other (please specify)

:whistle:

jaclaz

1. I did unattach the speaker, but it is internal, speakers. I can't seem to find it. What does the on board speaker of a computer looks like? On this one, i assume it is that black little thing that sticks up a bit, and looks like a cap?????

I was thinking I could attach the speaker, back and pull one of the wires ( cut the wires ) so I wont I have to hear sound.

2. Again I assume it is a virus, or a setting that was forced change. The sound now plays when certain programs boot. Meaning when the computer starts the sound plays briefly. When I load a program, the sound also plays, in a repeatively until it goes on forever. It is a like a loud scratching annoying sound that somebody programmed on purpose to play after installing whatever it was that was installed.

3. ON one program, the sound starts to play. I assume the program ( any kind of program ) accesses a process and the sound starts to play. Maybe a memory area??? So far the sound plays on game and non-game programs???? When the computer starts up the sound also plays but cuts off real quickly?

You are NOT being clear! First post

This starts no matter what program I run
And your last post
2. Again I assume it is a virus, or a setting that was forced change. The sound now plays when certain programs boot. Meaning when the computer starts the sound plays briefly. When I load a program, the sound also plays, in a repeatively until it goes on forever. It is a like a loud scratching annoying sound that somebody programmed on purpose to play after installing whatever it was that was installed.

3. ON one program, the sound starts to play. I assume the program ( any kind of program ) accesses a process and the sound starts to play. Maybe a memory area??? So far the sound plays on game and non-game programs???? When the computer starts up the sound also plays but cuts off real quickly?

At WHAT POINT "when the computer starts"? BEFORE Windows (during PC startup)? Have you checked for an overheated CPU? SOME BIOS will beep if it overheats -OR-may cause shutdown and/or restart. SOME Mobo Monitor Software can be set to "beep" at a certain temperature. It will ALWAYS (at least mine do) beep at least ONCE when you first turn it on (BEFORE windows).

Clarify, please. It makes no sense.

edit - "BEEP.SYS" is the "beeper" program. Related -

http://forums.techguy.org/software-development/1096314-solved-internal-pc-speaker-beep.html

http://www.onlinecomputertips.com/pc-hardware/speaker.html

Also a program called "BEEP.EXE" (a "utility") floating around.

Google

netsky.d

:unsure:

Edited by submix8c