Which chip?

I have been running win2k on various (old) systems for a while. I'm considering building an ITX desktop and am wondering which chip(chipsets) you would all recommend starting out with.

I'm highly considering an AMD FM2 board or intel 1155. Anyone have experience on a newer board?

I'd suggest AMD at least for one reason which is K10stat. Neither AMD's Cool'n'Quiet nor Intel's SpeedStep work in Windows 2000 but you can use K10stat for power management of AMD CPUs. In case of the Intel processor it's going to run at full speed all the time.

My board is based on FM1 and AMD A55 chipset. Before buying a motherboard just make sure that everything will work in Windows 2000. I'm thinking specifically about the USB3.0 chip and the LAN card.

Edited by tomasz86

Thank you Phenomic. Will do. I have used k10ctl before as well.

Processor came today.. still waiting on the board. 4GB memory in hand. Should have pretty quick results as a I have a hard drive with win2k setup and dos ready to go.

installation went flawlessly.

I cannot get any drivers to work for video however.. I've got everything else up except video. I've tried the stock AMD XP driver as well as Blackwingcat's driver (my card isnt listed so I forced some other ATI driver down its throat) but nothing is working yet... Will keep on trying...

Any help appreciated. A6-6400K HD8000 series

Well I'm stumped. I can install BWC drivers with no exclamation mark as 7000 series and even the catalyst 8470 driver with no exclamation mark but the display doesnt get any better. Still 640x480. I even hacked up with win7 driver on a whim and it detected the 8470D as the correct driver but it wont load after install (exclamation mark there)

Kind of at a loss :(

Well, first of all, you should never install both of them :w00t: because BWC kernel is already included in UURollup... :ph34r: but at the end it shouldn't really matter in this particular case since you've just installed same files and registry settings twice.

I'd suggest you send a PM directly to blackwingcat and ask him whether he could modify the latest official AMD graphics drivers (which support your specific graphics card model) to make them work in Windows 2000.

Edit: Did you enable PAE by any chance?

Edited by tomasz86

Yes on PAE. Actually I've tried enabling and disabling it to see what's up. The VESA/VBE universal SVGA driver is working ;p

Should I try turning off PAE and reloading the drivers?