Change System Font Size Without Resetting Theme?

xmf

If I change the font size in Display Prop->Appearance, windows resets back to a default theme. Is there any way I can keep all my custom theme settings while upping the font size in "Appearance"?

@dencorso, will those instructions apply to Windows XP? (Check which sub forum this question was asked in) The link you pointed to, and the ones it points to from there, all seem to be talking about Windows 7 and later.

Cheers and Regards

Yes, I know we're on the xp forum. LogPixels exists on the plain vanilla XP SP3 registry in a fresh install. So, AFAIK, it should work all right. But I had never tried it, having just read jaclaz's post shortly before reading this thread... even so I decided to give a link to it, because it might be the sought solution. Yet, I've just tried it and I confirm xmf's finding: it does not work on XP (or something else is needed in addition to it, to make it work). :(

Yes, I know we're on the xp forum. LogPixels exists on the plain vanilla XP SP3 registry in a fresh install. So, AFAIK, it should work all right. But I had never tried it, having just read jaclaz's post shortly before reading this thread... even so I decided to give a link to it, because it might be the sought solution. Yet, I've just tried it and I confirm xmf's finding: it does not work on XP (or something else is needed in addition to it, to make it work). :(

Just for the record, and in case someone else besides dencorso has a broken google :w00t:

http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/large-fonts-registry-exactly-t2695627.html

Great news! I fixed it (well, my problem at least.) I figured out why I was getting that error message and fixed it in a snap.

The reason that it's great for you is that now that I can actually change the font size, I was able to trace the changes to the

registry. Here are the four registry keys that the control panel applet modifies (in order):

Set to tiny (72 DPI)

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\FontDPI\LogPixels - 0x60

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Hardware Profiles\Current\Software\Fonts\LogPixels - 0x60

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Hardware Profiles\Current\Software\Fonts\LogPixels - 0x48

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\FontDPI\LogPixels - 0x48

Set to default (96 DPI)

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\FontDPI\LogPixels - 0x60

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Hardware Profiles\Current\Software\Fonts\LogPixels - 0x60

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Hardware Profiles\Current\Software\Fonts\LogPixels - 0x60

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\FontDPI\LogPixels - 0x60

Set to large (120 DPI)

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\FontDPI\LogPixels - 0x78

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Hardware Profiles\Current\Software\Fonts\LogPixels - 0x78

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Hardware Profiles\Current\Software\Fonts\LogPixels - 0x78

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\FontDPI\LogPixels - 0x78

Set to huge (192 DPI)

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\FontDPI\LogPixels - 0x78

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Hardware Profiles\Current\Software\Fonts\LogPixels - 0x78

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Hardware Profiles\Current\Software\Fonts\LogPixels - 0xC0

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\FontDPI\LogPixels - 0xC0

You'll notice that it seems to first set the default base size, then the specific selected size. Either way, you can ignore the

OriginalDPI entry (which sounds like a logical thing to do), and use these two (together) instead—you said you wanted the "large"

setting, so set them to DWORD 78, and don't forget to reboot:

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Hardware Profiles\Current\Software\Fonts\LogPixels

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\FontDPI\LogPixels

How this is connected with "themes" is to be found, however. :unsure:

Could it be that there is an additional key somewhere connected with "themes"? :w00t:

Edit:

Before someone links to this for Windows 2000 :angel , here it is:

It is possible that also in XP the "AppliedDPI" is used...

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Set to large (120 DPI)

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Hardware Profiles\Current\Software\Fonts\LogPixels - 0x78

Those two settings together sure do work, and are enough because Win XP is case insensitive while interpreting the registry.

Thanks jaclaz, you do rock! :thumbup

Set to large (120 DPI)

Those two settings together sure do work, and are enough because Win XP is case insensitive while interpreting the registry.

Thanks jaclaz, you do rock! :thumbup

Good :).

But It is not clear (to me at least :blushing: ) the relevance/connection/whatever with the AppliedDPI in WindowsMetrics cited both by allen2 and by tomasz86 (this latter on the 2K thread linked) :unsure: .

Another thing that I don't understand/don't know is *why* the need to re-boot?

I mean, I can understand on 2K where seemingly also "Hardware Profiles" are involved, but on XP?

Unless I am mistaken, setting apart the "theme" issue when you change the font ratio through the control panel is it still needed to reboot?

Finally, I am not sure that the referenced post is connected with CaSeSeNsItIvEnEsS and not with a "sequence" somehow *needed*?

I.e. the success of the result with only the two key may depend n the pre-existing values? :w00t:

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

The windows metric settings allow to change the settings on a per user basis and do not modify the computer dpi setting but it needs more tunning to display properly everything. It also don't need a reboot.

The windows metric settings allow to change the settings on a per user basis and do not modify the computer dpi setting but it needs more tunning to display properly everything. It also don't need a reboot.

Pardon me, but I still miss some info.

The unresolved questions are:

That particular key "AppliedDPI" is:

*needed*

OR

*alternative*

to the "LogPixels" one?

Which one(s) is/are affected when you use "normally" the Control Panel?

jaclaz

From what i know AppliedDPI and Logpixel reg entries are modified when you change the small font to large size settings in DPI settings and it will ask for a reboot usually.

The other are also modified in control panel but those are in appearance tab then advanced.

So you can set both using the control panel if you want.

AppliedDPI/Logpixel shouldn't be set if you want a per user setting and won't be if set with control panel.

From what i know AppliedDPI and Logpixel reg entries are modified when you change the small font to large size settings in DPI settings and it will ask for a reboot usually.

The other are also modified in control panel but those are in appearance tab then advanced.

So you can set both using the control panel if you want.

AppliedDPI/Logpixel shouldn't be set if you want a per user setting and won't be if set with control panel.

Interesting info :), but call me tough as much as you want :ph34r: , the matter is not yet fully cleared IMHO.

Let me try to recap.

I found a post on another board saying that two values in the Registry are changed by the control panel:

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Hardware Profiles\Current\Software\Fonts\LogPixels

and that they are change TWICE, hypothizing that a given order is needed.

dencorso posted that by manually setting those two (and those two only) he managed to change the settings in accordance to the post.

tomasz86 on the 2k thread (just like you mentioned) additionally changes the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics\AppliedDPI

I am trying to understand if this latter change is:

1. a self-standing alternative
  2. an additional (unneded) change
  3. a needed additional change
  4. nothing of the above

When you go to Control Panel -> Display -> Appearance -> Font Size-> | Normal | Large | Extralarge | only the two LogPixels keys are seemingly changed

When you go to Control Panel -> Display -> Settings -> Advanced -> and change the dpi settings, then BOTH the WindowsMetrics AND the Logpixels keys are changed.

Right?

An article with screenshot so we have the same "visual base":

http://www.hwdot.com/2008/10/how-to-restore-default-windows-xp-fonts.html

But then, why the reboot is needed? (Doesn't the "Apply new settings without restarting" work alright?)

Or, is there a way to do the same things the Control Panel does without using it (and without the need to restart)? :unsure:

jaclaz

and that they are change TWICE, hypothizing that a given order is needed.

dencorso posted that by manually setting those two (and those two only) he managed to change the settings in accordance to the post.

tomasz86 on the 2k thread (just like you mentioned) additionally changes the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics\AppliedDPI

Control Panel -> Display -> Settings -> Advanced -> and change the dpi settings change both LogPixel values in keys HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Hardware Profiles\Current\Software\Fonts and HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\FontDPI and AppliedDPI in HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics.

I am trying to understand if this latter change is:

1. a self-standing alternative
  2. an additional (unneded) change
  3. a needed additional change
  4. nothing of the above

It is an alternative method that can be with other one if needed.

When you go to Control Panel -> Display -> Appearance -> Font Size-> | Normal | Large | Extralarge | only the two LogPixels keys are seemingly changed

The keys changed are a least the *Font (Type reg_binary) and if i remmeber correctly only the beginning digit are used for the size of the fonts. Indeed this settings doesn't need a reboot but to display everything properly a logoff/login might be needed. And LogPixel keys are not modified in this case.

I used those settings to allow people without the rights on the logpixels keys (in HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Hardware Profiles\Current\Software\Fonts and HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\FontDPI) to get big fonts.

When you go to Control Panel -> Display -> Settings -> Advanced -> and change the dpi settings, then BOTH the WindowsMetrics AND the Logpixels keys are changed.

Right?

Yes. But it only change AppliedDPI in HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics (not the one from other method). And i don't think the HKCU one is really needed in this case (i suppose it would be reset at next login) as if you log with a new account the value won't be there and will be created.

An article with screenshot so we have the same "visual base":

http://www.hwdot.com/2008/10/how-to-restore-default-windows-xp-fonts.html

But then, why the reboot is needed? (Doesn't the "Apply new settings without restarting" work alright?)

Why ? Ask Microsoft... But the "apply new settings without restarting" doesn't work properly in this case (just try, you'll see) and if you don't do it, you'll have very strange displaying of windows (overlapping, missing or hidden charaters).

Or, is there a way to do the same things the Control Panel does without using it (and without the need to restart)? :unsure:

jaclaz

I think windows need a reboot in this case to release the fonts currently in use and reload them with the new size. Perhaps a third party tool could release the handles (assuming that only that) and force a reload of fonts.

I hope this is now clear.

Edit: cleared on more thing

Edited by allen2

I confirm I did that precisely. Changed both LogPixels and no other value whatsoever besides them. Did it just once, not twice or more times. And no effect was seen before rebooting once.

Now, while I have no interest in continuing to investigate further this matter, I do suggest using the Control Panel while monitoring with RegShot 2 Unicode, so as to ascertain exactly which keys are changed on each case.