Stuck in last step

Hey guys,

Got a dammed barracuda 7200.11 1TB with the BSY problem. Got the cable Nokia ca42 compatible and follow all instructions. All was going well up until the last step, when I typed m0,2,2,,,,,22 (enter) hyper terminal did not showed me anything back, not even after minutes... I turned off the drive and I repeated the process again, but got to the same point.

Now when I connect my drive to windows it actually detects it but prompt me to "initialized" it which I believe would format the drive and delete all my precious data. So I am not doing it.

You guys can help? What did I did wrong? Why did not get the last step? Will I loose all my data if I initialize the drive in windows vista?

Big thanks in advance for your replies.

Valium400mg

Now when I connect my drive to windows it actually detects it but prompt me to "initialized" it which I believe would format the drive and delete all my precious data. So I am not doing it.

Good, rightful choice.

Is it detected "normally" in BIOS? (i.e. with it's full size?)

You guys can help?

We can try to.

What did I did wrong?

Possibly nothing, there may be partial corruption, it may be (if you cleared it) the MBR being part of the G-list, *whatever*)

Why did not get the last step?

Who knows?

Will I loose all my data if I initialize the drive in windows vista?

Yes and no.

In the sense of "DO NOT DO IT" but only the "initialize" is not "entirely destructive", (the following partitioning/formatting may).

Basically when you open Disk Management the last two bytes of MBR (first sector of the hard disk) are checked and if they are not 0X55AA (so-called "Magic Bytes") the user is prompted to initialize the disk.

Initializing will write to the MBR the MBR CODE and wipe partition table entries (if any).

Still recoverable, but not the best idea one can have.

In real world it is unlikely that the two bytes were changed from 0x55AA to something else without already affecting the partition table data, but it makes little sense risking even remotely to make things more difficult.

The "standard" procedure is to make a "dd-like" or "forensic sound" disk image before anything else.

To do so you will need a slightly larger disk (let's say a 640 Gb for a "botched" 500 Gb disk image, a 1.5 Tb for a 1 TB, etc.).

Or, alternatively, instead of the image you could make a clone (still "real" clone, i.e. dd-like), for this you need a disk drive of the same size.

It is of course possible to attempt recovery on the original unbricked disk, but there may be "NO way back" if doing that (i.e. you could risk losing data that it is actually recoverable now by making something wrong).

Please, besides replying to my initial question, describe how the disk was partitioned "before" (with as much detail as you can remember), and let me know how you want to proceed.

jaclaz